Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we can only guess why.
my assumption is 28" is the standard diameter for all Tesla tires (I think), so consistency is a factor for production.
also design considerations, engineering suspension issues.
cost would be a major factor
efficiency would be a major factor.
we can only guess why.
my assumption is 28" is the standard diameter for all Tesla tires (I think), so consistency is a factor for production.
I get what your saying @tangible1 - what I should have added is that the height of the rear tires riding the stock 275/35/21’s is 28.6 inches, I would have assumed the closer tire in height would be the 265/35 and not the 255/35. This was more of a curiosity for me when thinking about future tire replacement. One other question- which tires are the ones that drive the odometer readings ? I would likely assume the front ?

I think the 255 would have better steering feel as it has less sidewall to flex hence a slight more sporty drive. The 265 would feel more comfortable as it has a little more rubber (slight trade off). The stance also looks more aggressive even if ever so slightly on the 255 which is what many of us got the performance for.

I think the 255 would have better steering feel as it has less sidewall to flex hence a slight more sporty drive. The 265 would feel more comfortable as it has a little more rubber (slight trade off). The stance also looks more aggressive even if ever so slightly on the 255 which is what many of us got the performance for.
The difference between 255 and 275 is non-existent in my opinion

we can only guess why.
With some cars, particularly those that are close to 50/50 weight distribution, when they do staggered setups, they are intentionally dialing-in under-steer, so that could be a factor as well with why they went with a narrower tire too. I have no idea what the weight distribution of the Y is tho.

From what I can tell, the weight distribution of the Model Y is rear biased at 46/54, which would suggest a natural tendency to oversteer with no intervention, so I suppose I can see why they would try to dial in some understeer with a staggered setup, to make the car more neutral handling.

A little update, since Jan 20' when I switched to the Michelin 265/40 & 285/40 have been really enjoying the taller sidewall. Hit some really deep potholes and no blowouts. 22k miles and plenty of life left. I keep it at 46-48psi cold and never had an issue. Hope everybody is really enjoying their setup...
Also just went over 22K miles myself this week on the same set up...nothing but love for the smooth, stable ride and NO rim rash.

Has anyone tried a 285/40/20 square on a 20x10 +40? I’ve done all the reading and searching I can do, only to find people talking about it but no one attempting it. Current concern has shifted away from the steering knuckle and actually shifted toward rubbing the fender liner…

A little update, since Jan 20' when I switched to the Michelin 265/40 & 285/40 have been really enjoying the taller sidewall. Hit some really deep potholes and no blowouts. 22k miles and plenty of life left. I keep it at 46-48psi cold and never had an issue. Hope everybody is really enjoying their setup...
32K on ours, I keep PSI at 45 all around, I lost count the number of times my wife rubbed the curb on the passenger side on drive thrus.

Has anyone tried a 285/40/20 square on a 20x10 +40? I’ve done all the reading and searching I can do, only to find people talking about it but no one attempting it. Current concern has shifted away from the steering knuckle and actually shifted toward rubbing the fender liner…
That's pretty standard for the folks running winter setups in the colder states. I think I have some pics somewhere on my gdrive.

Can anyone post pictures of the 275/40R20 tires on the factory 20" Induction wheels?

I'm specifically interested in the Michelin Pilot All Season 4s in this size.. as they would provide the best looks, comfort and wheel protection.. and also the cheaper than the 265/40R20.

Can anyone post pictures of the 275/40R20 tires on the factory 20" Induction wheels?

I'm specifically interested in the Michelin Pilot All Season 4s in this size.. as they would provide the best looks, comfort and wheel protection.. and also the cheaper than the 265/40R20.
20211015_175003241_iOS (2).jpg

• Love
Reactions: Daekwan
Ok, we have some data. All the estimates proved to be accurate and the tires fit with plenty of room to spare. See pics. The speedometer is off by ~4.6% (fully expected) so will need to adjust for it on the WH/Mi

I may do another test in a few weeks to get a better idea of what is happening but the short story is, we have little to no efficiency drops:

SOC: 253miles - Same as initial test
Weather: 35F, partly cloudy - colder than last time by 5-6 degrees
Driver: Fasted state, skipped breakfast, large cup of coffee in the car - same as prior
Car: Heat off, windows up, various types of music at half volume
Tires: New tires 265/40/21 and 285/40/21 were inflated to 40psi (personally I think these are the tires the car should have come with. plenty of rim protection and the stance looks more aggressive and slightly taller by about an inch.
Front clearance: went from 6" to almost 7"
Rear clearance: 5" to about 6" (sam as above, slight increase predicted by the taller diameter of the tire (~0.75")

PREVIOUS Trip Leg A: 8.2 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 264 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)

NEW TRIP: same trip details as above with efficiency of 272 wh/mi, but adjusting for Speedometer should be 272 / (1+.046) = 260 wh/mi

Trip Leg B: 7.9 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 251 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)

NEW TRIP: same trip details as above with efficiency of 263wh/mi, but adjusting for Speedometer should be 263 / (1+.046) = 251 wh/mi

So all in all, the car feels a little bit taller... a little softer on the bumps and overall looks a ton better. obviously longer term efficiency needs to be monitored but the initial feedback is very good.

What about high speeds and/or cornering at high speeds? Won't the tire diameter increase a bit due to G-force, and/or move a bit sideways when cornering? No risk of the tire hitting the control arm?

The reason I'm asking is because I just got these Nokian Hakka R5 SUV winter tires in 265/40R21, and the clearance to the control arm is very small ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0940.jpg
    IMG_0940.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 46