Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And just for fun - how Uberturbines with 295 wide tires compare with RAM TRX wheels (which are 325/65/18, 35" tall tire). Huge!
20220430_003845709_iOS.jpg

A question to folks who switched to Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Do you plan to switch back to stock Pirelli's for the summer?

I guess when it will be 65F outside, stock Pirellis summer tires should have better grip. What do you think?
Not me — I sold the Pirelli’s as soon as they came off of the car. That said (er, written) — I have no plans to track my MYP. If I were to track the car, and if I had a great set of all-seasons on stock Ubers, then I would get a set of summer specific rubber on aftermarket 19” wheels that are much, much lighter than the Ubers. Good luck.

Not me — I sold the Pirelli’s as soon as they came off of the car. That said (er, written) — I have no plans to track my MYP. If I were to track the car, and if I had a great set of all-seasons on stock Ubers, then I would get a set of summer specific rubber on aftermarket 19” wheels that are much, much lighter than the Ubers. Good luck.
For the price of summer CUP2s with light 19 rims and BT TPMS sensors I can buy a dedicated used track car 😀
But I see your point. I'm just too lazy to swap the wheels for track day.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been addressed here. My MYP is lowered (MPP Coilovers) and it's time to replace the tires on the Uberturbines. Does anyone have experience with a lowered Y with larger than stock tire specs for 21"?

Sorry if this has already been addressed here. My MYP is lowered (MPP Coilovers) and it's time to replace the tires on the Uberturbines. Does anyone have experience with a lowered Y with larger than stock tire specs for 21"?
I’m running 265 fronts and 275 rears. I will be going to 275 fronts and 295 rears on next tire change. No issues with my setup and many are running 275/295 no issues.

Reactions: richoki
I installed the 275/35/21's to the front of the car, no rubbing (knew this coming into this little side project).

What a difference a good set of tires will do! My Pirellis were down to the wear belt if not beyond on the front (Tesla rotated by staggered setup front to rear). I forgot how smoothly this car drives.

I now have a set (4) front wheels and tires for sale:
2x brand new 21" front wheels with Michelin Pilot AS4's and 2x wheels w/24k miles on them.

I installed the 275/35/21's to the front of the car, no rubbing (knew this coming into this little side project).

What a difference a good set of tires will do! My Pirellis were down to the wear belt if not beyond on the front (Tesla rotated by staggered setup front to rear). I forgot how smoothly this car drives.

I now have a set (4) front wheels and tires for sale:
2x brand new 21" front wheels with Michelin Pilot AS4's and 2x wheels w/24k miles on them.
I dont think anyone's going to buy a set of tires with 24k miles on them... or were you being sarcastic?

Just joined the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 club. Just wanted to ask, for those people who have these tires, are ya'll getting vibration, especially on the steering wheel at speeds over 65-70mph? I had the Pirelli's before and didn't notice it vibrating this much. It's not crazy vibration, just slight but noticeable.
Could it be that the tires are new and I just need more time to break them in? Or should I get Tire Rack to recheck the wheel balances and all or bring to a Tesla SC? Appreciate any help and info, thanks!

Just joined the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 275/35/21 and 295/35/21 club. Just wanted to ask, for those people who have these tires, are ya'll getting vibration, especially on the steering wheel at speeds over 65-70mph? I had the Pirelli's before and didn't notice it vibrating this much. It's not crazy vibration, just slight but noticeable.
Could it be that the tires are new and I just need more time to break them in? Or should I get Tire Rack to recheck the wheel balances and all or bring to a Tesla SC? Appreciate any help and info, thanks!

find a decent tire / wheel / alignment shop and get your wheels balanced and have the alignment checked.
I would have thought that would be done at time of mounting the new tires.
if it was done, they didn't get it done right.

I'd take it back to Tire Rack and have them rebalance...there should be no vibration at any speed.

find a decent tire / wheel / alignment shop and get your wheels balanced and have the alignment checked.
I would have thought that would be done at time of mounting the new tires.
if it was done, they didn't get it done right.
I'd take it back to Tire Rack and have them rebalance...there should be no vibration at any speed.
Yea it needed a rebalanced, I had a service appointment with Tesla and they did a road force balance and everything is smoother now. I do notice a lot more road noise due to the bigger tires.

Yea it needed a rebalanced, I had a service appointment with Tesla and they did a road force balance and everything is smoother now. I do notice a lot more road noise due to the bigger tires.
yep - more surface area, more noise.
some tires have a special center channel designed to mitigate some noise.
just another factor to consider when selecting new tires. hard to find the perfect solution.

yep - more surface area, more noise.
some tires have a special center channel designed to mitigate some noise.
just another factor to consider when selecting new tires. hard to find the perfect solution.
I have a question that potentially has been answered before but here goes: Why did Telsa go with 255/35R21 on the front tires instead of 265/35R21 ? When I look at the tire diameter between the 2, the 255/35/21 is 28 inches tall and the 265/35R21 is 28.3 inches tall with a small diameter increase to 10.4 inches. Wouldn't they want the front tires to be closer in diameter to the rear? What am I missing? I have seen other threads of people putting the 265/35's on their 21's for a while, so I would assume the 265's would be beneficial for bit taller sidewall ?

I have a question that potentially has been answered before but here goes: Why did Telsa go with 255/35R21 on the front tires instead of 265/35R21 ? When I look at the tire diameter between the 2, the 255/35/21 is 28 inches tall and the 265/35R21 is 28.3 inches tall with a small diameter increase to 10.4 inches. Wouldn't they want the front tires to be closer in diameter to the rear? What am I missing? I have seen other threads of people putting the 265/35's on their 21's for a while, so I would assume the 265's would be beneficial for bit taller sidewall ?
we can only guess why.
my assumption is 28" is the standard diameter for all Tesla tires (I think), so consistency is a factor for production.
also design considerations, engineering suspension issues.
cost would be a major factor
efficiency would be a major factor.