Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension of my newly delivered Y is GOOD (EU made in China)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Just took delivery in Belgium and rode for 100km, from highway to bad small streets and speed bumps.
Potholes and transverse joints are absorbed with class and silence, I am super surprised !
I come from a 21 Mercedes GLS with base wheels, and I’m a sucker for comfort !
Ordered a M3 in 2020 and cancelled it after a test drive because of the rough ride.
Decided to take the plunge in ‘22 anyway (fed up of paying EU taxes and fuel), planning to upgrade coilovers, but I won’t even have to !
Ride and handling are certainly on par with a GLC or Evoque.
I rode several posts with the same feeling on the belgian/Netherlands forum.
Could it be that Tesla/Shanghai has finally reworked their dampers, and that we have the first comfortable Y’s ?

I took a pal on a ride in my 2022 MYP. I was surprised when he commented on the smooth ride. We were mostly on freeway and driving around an expensive area in Los Angeles which had smooth roads even though they were not new. I cringe to think what a MYP would feel like if driven on some cobblestone streets which are encountered every now and then in Europe.

800km report: I confirm the comfort described in my 1st post, with a catch…

My GLS is not flawless : abrupt speed bumps, big potholes and transverse joints send a shock wave through the cabin (like many big SUVs, probably caused by heavy wheels and big anti roll bars).
Those obstacles are damped SUPERBLY in my Y !

The strange part is, on roads I thought were smooth in my GLS (keep in mind it’s a real road ironer), I feel an infinite amount of small road imperfections. It’s not terrible, kind of like a wheel was not well balanced, except it’s not rythmic, and it disappears on really smooth roads.

The global impression remains surprisingly good, and I don’t see how the ride quality would be a problem for ANYONE testing THIS Y. In some way, the ride is actually one of it’s strong points !

MPP order on its way. I will report if it changes the perception on normal roads, but had I driven my car first, I wouldn’t have ordered…

On a funny side note : GLS has been collecting dust for 8 days, but when I stepped inside today, it felt like a Rolls Royce ! This fit/finish, the smell of leather…
MY is perfectly built, but luxury remains luxury 🙃

I don’t know about US made cars, but clearly there is something going on in Shanghai and Germany on the suspension side: this Swiss reviewer owns a 3 and has tested a Y LR and P from Germany, on the roads he knows, and is clear that even the Y P is much more comfortable than his 3 SR:

I took a pal on a ride in my 2022 MYP. I was surprised when he commented on the smooth ride. We were mostly on freeway and driving around an expensive area in Los Angeles which had smooth roads even though they were not new. I cringe to think what a MYP would feel like if driven on some cobblestone streets which are encountered every now and then in Europe.
I think EVs tend to feel smoother simply because they have no transmission shifts - just smooth acceleration with no jerkiness as the torque changes with the gears.

My MYLR is perfectly fine on smooth highways but punishing on bumpy roads with poor asphalt. I’ve been considering shelling out for the Mountain Pass Performance suspension upgrade. It sounds like Tesla may be making improvements to the suspension which is definitely good news!

I just finished the install of my MPP comfort coilovers, in the recommended settings…

Now this is stiff and too sporty for me !
I will play a bit with the settings, but I doubt I will keep them, unless I plan to track.

It is supposed to be smoother than oem… One more confirmation that oem has changed for the better !

Tested the Q4 etron of a friend yesterday.
That is even more comfortable, by a good margin.
In my Y, I am still aware of every bump in the road, the car is lively, but the damping is good, and I have not felt a single harsh reaction in 5.000km now.

Sold the GLS yesterday, after 6m and 13.000km. Bought it 99K, sold for 89K in 2 minutes ! Had to pull out the advert after 20 min as I was flooded with calls.
Sellers of recent cars, you are kings !

Reactions: Imundo
Hi all,
Just took delivery in Belgium and rode for 100km, from highway to bad small streets and speed bumps.
Potholes and transverse joints are absorbed with class and silence, I am super surprised !
I come from a 21 Mercedes GLS with base wheels, and I’m a sucker for comfort !
Ordered a M3 in 2020 and cancelled it after a test drive because of the rough ride.
Decided to take the plunge in ‘22 anyway (fed up of paying EU taxes and fuel), planning to upgrade coilovers, but I won’t even have to !
Ride and handling are certainly on par with a GLC or Evoque.
I rode several posts with the same feeling on the belgian/Netherlands forum.
Could it be that Tesla/Shanghai has finally reworked their dampers, and that we have the first comfortable Y’s ?
i totally agree !
my MY replaced a 2020 X5 . The MY ride is superior.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I just finished the install of my MPP comfort coilovers, in the recommended settings…

Now this is stiff and too sporty for me !
I will play a bit with the settings, but I doubt I will keep them, unless I plan to track.

Did you end up trying the softer settings with the MPP's? What were they set at for your initial ride/impressions?

Got an MYP on order, and wondering if I'll need a suspension mod...

Did you end up trying the softer settings with the MPP's? What were they set at for your initial ride/impressions?

Got an MYP on order, and wondering if I'll need a suspension mod...
After getting your MYP, drive about 4,000 miles before getting coilovers. I found the ride softened around that period. I too once thought I’d definitely need coilovers to achieve an acceptable ride but not anymore.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
After 2,500 miles (4,000 kms) in my YP, I am convinced the suspension is decent for 50-75mph+ (80-120kph+), perfect for 80+(128+), but too harsh for <30 (<48). An adjustable air suspension would be ideal for this car, but the cost would be $10-15K more, with even heavier weight. I can accept that and am skeptical of those who say a $60K car should ride better. Maybe a $60K old school gas car should.

Let’s face it … most of the “criticism” comes from the print press.

All they care about is the advertising revenue from BMW/Merc/VW/Land Rover etc !

It’s bullshit !
I owned a “well regarded “ 2020 X5, I’ve also spent time in an Audi Q7.
The MY (mine is an LR with acceleration boost) rides better than both.

Reactions: csrpenfab
Anyone who mentions “air suspension “ needs to go back to school!
Bent steel gives as supple a ride as compressed air ! There is no difference in the fundamentals!

(I will accept that “air” suspension is more easily tuned by the electronics for “travel” “rate” and “ride-height “)

Let’s face it … most of the “criticism” comes from the print press.

All they care about is the advertising revenue from BMW/Merc/VW/Land Rover etc !

It’s bullshit !
I owned a “well regarded “ 2020 X5, I’ve also spent time in an Audi Q7.
The MY (mine is an LR with acceleration boost) rides better than both.
Could not agree more! My 2022 MYP rides and handles better than my Audi Q5 or BMW 535i

• Love
My 2022 end Q2 MY LR with Gemini ( naked) has exceeded the anticipated quota of joy in almost every aspect except, and some may feel this is kinda fundamental to the driving experience, the ride quality. On those rare stretches of smoothly finished tarmac, its comfort is sublime.
However, run over a thoughtlessly discarded matchstick and.......
... I exaggerate of course. However, the quality or lack of means that the ride can be quite jarring.

As SWIMBO groans, I simply utter "I know but it's no worse than the X3, it's just the parlous state of our roads".

So, this morning I have been out in the, soon to be put up for sale, X3. To my surprise and I suppose, dismay, it was much more forgiving than MY Lizzie.

It would seem that my experience is quite at odds with that of other members.

Before the next drive, I will lower the pressures to say 39psi all around. If that does not improve the ride, a visit to an SC could be in order; who knows, coils and dampers are not complicated but there could be an issue.

Like an adoring parent I have been in denial over her less than gentle behaviour. SWMBO, not wanting to rain on my parade, has only been given to involuntary groans.

I should say that my observance of 20, 30 and 40mph limits has been assiduous ....
... ( within 10%) ...perhaps therein lies the root of the problem; some of our roads should be rated at 10mph.

Now then... Don't get me started on the vehicles ( mostly commercial) that, due, no doubt, to the pressure of work, try to intimidate cars doing 23 in 20mph zones.

( I have been known to momentarily floor her when the pressure of a semi bearing down, irritates too much.)

Reactions: Imundo
Without being too indelicate about this, the measure SWMBO uses to determine vehicle ride comfort is something she delightfully labels “tit jiggle”.

The Y is reportedly slightly more “jiggly” than our #2 car (Evoque Autobiography with adaptive dampers) and less “jiggly” than my outgoing vehicle (2019 Ford Focus, new shape)

I have decided to personally pay more attention to the “tit jiggle” quotient now SWMBO has brought it to my attention, and report back here. Purely in a scientific manner, you all understand.

@Wattsisname tyre pressures at 43 all round here, on crappy rural Oxfordshire roads.

Without being too indelicate about this, the measure SWMBO uses to determine vehicle ride comfort is something she delightfully labels “tit jiggle”.

The Y is reportedly slightly more “jiggly” than our #2 car (Evoque Autobiography with adaptive dampers) and less “jiggly” than my outgoing vehicle (2019 Ford Focus, new shape)

I have decided to personally pay more attention to the “tit jiggle” quotient now SWMBO has brought it to my attention, and report back here. Purely in a scientific manner, you all understand.

@Wattsisname tyre pressures at 43 all round here, on crappy rural Oxfordshire roads.
😂
I will definitely bring the " Tit Jiggle Quotient to SWMBO's attention and devise suitable measuring apparatus.....
.. wait a moment.... I already have two plus EAP.

I heard of a chap who invented a jiggle preventing garment ( not to be confused with the Japanese "Upper Decker Wobble Stopper")
So, the guy announced his invention, the Jiggle Stopper, and was immediatly taken outside a given a good kicking by the males in the audience!