Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension problems. OEM dampers are failing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My butt can tell if suspension is blown, but it cannot tell if suspension is ever so slowly moving out of spec. Also I don't own a Model 3. I keep flirting with it, but... soooo many issues on these cars and with this company.

The forums will make it seem like there are lots of problems but it is not really the case. Visit any car forum and you will see all the complaining. There are over 200k Model 3 out there now.

tm3sales.JPG

The forums will make it seem like there are lots of problems but it is not really the case. Visit any car forum and you will see all the complaining. There are over 200k Model 3 out there now.

View attachment 427521
Yeah, I know how forums work, and Tesla's issues are rampant. They scared me away from a Model X, and I had an overnight test drive of a car with several issues. They scar me away from the 3, at least for now.

Yeah, I know how forums work, and Tesla's issues are rampant. They scared me away from a Model X, and I had an overnight test drive of a car with several issues. They scar me away from the 3, at least for now.

It's a shame that you are so easily scared off. Perhaps you need to actually talk to owners. The incidence of serious problems on newly delivered model 3s is low. We had a couple of minor issues that were easily fixed. These included a too tight rear trunk lid, and a somewhat dysfunctional computer board on my wife's model 3. Both were taken care of quickly, and we got a loaner on the second issue without charge.

The model 3 is the best car either of us have ever owned or driven and not by a small margin. It's the safest, most economical, quickest, best performing, most spacious, easiest to drive, and most fun to drive car either of us have ever seen. I've driven Ferraris and Porsches and Corvettes that were not as much fun to drive as the Model 3 Performance. And then there's the no maintenance thing - like virtually none except for bleeding the brakes every 3 or 4 years and rotating and every two years changing the tires. Add to all those staggering best-in-class virtues the fact that it's the only car you can buy other than another Tesla that's going to materially improve over its lifespan. And by the time it's battery pack gets to 90 percent of its original capacity, you'll probably be able to buy an upgraded pack from Tesla that will give you 400 miles of range.

94% of model 3 owners say they'd buy another one. That's higher than any other brand or model of car including such iconic Brands as Porsche and Corvette which tend to have exceptionally loyal and knowledgeable owners who know what the cars issues tend to be.

So it's a shame that you're so easily scared off. You have no idea what you're missing.

All vehicles tend to have issues regardless of brand, what matters is how well they are taken care of. My M3P had some damage to the plastic scuff plates while be loaded on the transporter. I noticed it and scheduled a mobile service appointment in the app. Parts were ordered and a week later a mobile tech showed up at my house and swapped out the parts in my garage. First the car buying experience was the smoothest of any I ever had and then the first service experience went above and beyond expectations.

Meanwhile, my mother-in-law just bought a new Hyundai Sonata and it is in the shop for an engine fire recall for the 3rd time. Now they are saying it needs a new wiring harness. A friends VW Tiguan is in the shop for electrical problems and they can't figure it out. The GMC Denali is in for recall because they forgot to seal the A-pillar during manufacturing and now water can get in an damage some electronics. It also had a problem when you shift it to park, it comes up with an error saying it is not in Park and you can't shut it off. My son has a 2017 Honda Civic headliner that rattles like crazy, the touchscreen has a mind of its own and now the engine has a recall. I could go on and on but you get the point. No vehicle is perfect but I would rather own a car that I truly enjoy and offers a lot of other benefits vs. owning something that may have a better track record but be bored to tears.

Reactions: jmaddr
Perhaps some with higher Model 3 examples could provide feedback on how well they age, but in general most of these are pretty young cars. Do we even know rebound and damping specs for what is used on Model 3 Performance cars?

Happily. Dual motor non-performance car, here. Suspension is doing great at 10.5 months and 36,000 miles of sporty driving. That said, it needs four new wheel hubs, as they're all clicking on acceleration and deceleration, but that's a topic for a different thread that I don't feel like starting (service center will be replacing hubs later this month).

This car has exceeded all of our expectations for it and we're planning on buying a second one if we can find a good deal on a long range rear wheel drive variant.

• Informative
Reactions: raptor5244
That said, it needs four new wheel hubs, as they're all clicking on acceleration and deceleration, but that's a topic for a different thread that I don't feel like starting (service center will be replacing hubs later this month).

If you ever do decide to create a thread, ping me - my car is a baby at just over 12k miles.. I hope that's not waiting for me! :)

Happily. Dual motor non-performance car, here. Suspension is doing great at 10.5 months and 36,000 miles of sporty driving. That said, it needs four new wheel hubs, as they're all clicking on acceleration and deceleration, but that's a topic for a different thread that I don't feel like starting (service center will be replacing hubs later this month).

This car has exceeded all of our expectations for it and we're planning on buying a second one if we can find a good deal on a long range rear wheel drive variant.
If you ever do decide to create a thread, ping me - my car is a baby at just over 12k miles.. I hope that's not waiting for me! :)

I believe there is a thread that exists for this issue. And, as far as I know, the fix isn't new wheel hubs, but torquing the hub axle nut.

Not a fan of the suspension of my SR+ either. It does start to resonate on certain freeways with regular humps to them, like the 405 when you hit a specific speed. Kinda makes me and the kiddo in the backseat seasick. I don't know much about suspension, but I understand mechanics, and to me it feels like the damper is releasing too easily. In my mind, a good damper should compress more quickly than it expands. These seem to compress and expand equally fast, leading to a rolling motion from front to back that I don't like.

To the OP, I would ask that the service tech take a ride with you, where you can demonstrate certain roads that are exemplary of the problem. Maybe then they can offer you a test drive in a new model where you two can compare together.