Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension rattling sound turned out to be a loose bolt!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started having occasional clicks/clunks/creaking noises two months or so ago when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. By the time I got an appointment and took it to a service center (Nov 4), they couldn't reproduce and didn't care to check anything beyond a test drive.

The noise gets worse, and I schedule another appointment for Dec 16. During this time, the noise gets even worse, and occasional suspension vibration adds to it. Additionally, the symptoms start to manifest at higher and higher speeds.

Yesterday (Dec 13), the whole front suspension started to shake at around 35 mph for ~10 seconds, until I slowed down. This was just as I left home. I pull over and see this:

View attachment 617682

I crawl back home in shock at single-digit speeds.

View attachment 617683

View attachment 617684

No response from messaging the service center until today, after I called roadside assistance and had the car towed. Googling brought up this thread and an InsideEVs article on loose suspension bolts on the Tesla Model 3.

Surprised there hasn't been a recall on this. Also surprised the SC didn't care to check for loose bolts considering this seems to be a known issue. My passengers and I could have died...

April 2018 LR RWD
That's nuts. Glad you are safe and the pics were great.

Reactions: ahmadr
I started having occasional clicks/clunks/creaking noises two months or so ago when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. By the time I got an appointment and took it to a service center (Nov 4), they couldn't reproduce and didn't care to check anything beyond a test drive.

The noise gets worse, and I schedule another appointment for Dec 16. During this time, the noise gets even worse, and occasional suspension vibration adds to it. Additionally, the symptoms start to manifest at higher and higher speeds.

Yesterday (Dec 13), the whole front suspension started to shake at around 35 mph for ~10 seconds, until I slowed down. This was just as I left home. I pull over and see this:

View attachment 617682

View attachment 617683

View attachment 617684

No response from messaging the service center until today, after I called roadside assistance and had the car towed. Googling brought up this thread and an InsideEVs article on loose suspension bolts on the Tesla Model 3.

Surprised there hasn't been a recall on this. Also surprised the SC didn't care to check for loose bolts considering this seems to be a known issue. My passengers and I could have died...

April 2018 LR RWD

In your 2nd image, it looks as though the weld nut for the bolt that backed out has sheared off. That could be because the bolt itself loosened up over time and as the control arm was flopping around, it put a tranverse load on the nut. I'm thinking that if this is becoming a common occurrence, it might be good practice to apply blue loctite on those threads before retorquing. If anyone decides to do this, just keep in mind that the required torque will be lower with wet threads due to less friction. I'm going to crawl under my 3 tomorrow to see if my bolts have backed out.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
My case seems to be a more extreme version of this problem. After cruising Flagstaff Arizona and Sedona Arizona for three days in my Model 3, highways at over 90mph, and through intense mountains just feet away from steep mountainous drop-offs, we heard some strange unidentifiable noises from the front of the car. Arrived home Sunday night. Then, Monday morning as I was backing out of my driveway I heard a loud BANG and the front left of the car dropped a couple of inches. I found nuts and bolts on the ground under the car. My whole family was a hair away from getting killed had this happened in the mountains or at high freeway speeds. After seeing this forum I was incredibly angry because this could have been avoided with a timely recall and an admission of the problem. I guess Tesla is waiting for someone to get killed first.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPEG
    IMG_2297.JPEG
    462.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_5340.JPEG
    IMG_5340.JPEG
    671.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and KenC

View attachment 617682

View attachment 617683

View attachment 617684

April 2018 LR RWD
Looks identical to what happened to me!

A month earlier we had our Model 3 serviced because of hearing some creaking sound on the front passenger side. However as luck would have it, it didn't show when taking it to Tesla Service, however they stated that they re-torqued the front and rear stabilizing arms. Fast forward to today, extra loud rattle over hard bumps like road reflectors. See attached photo. Will update post after they tow my car this evening to the service center.

View attachment 513765 View attachment 513766
This just happened to me today. 2 bolts fell out off the bottom of my model 3 my car only has 3600 miles on it. Tesla is trying to say this was a “road accident” which it wasn’ti didn’t hit anything at all. I pulled up to a QT before work and when I put the car in reverse I heard a terrible noise when I looked under the car it looked like the control arm was falling apart it was about an inch off the ground. This is extremely frustrating for a $52k car. Not we will see how Tesla responds to this it should clearly be covered under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid
This just happened to me today. 2 bolts fell out off the bottom of my model 3 my car only has 3600 miles on it. Tesla is trying to say this was a “road accident” which it wasn’ti didn’t hit anything at all. I pulled up to a QT before work and when I put the car in reverse I heard a terrible noise when I looked under the car it looked like the control arm was falling apart it was about an inch off the ground. This is extremely frustrating for a $52k car. Not we will see how Tesla responds to this it should clearly be covered under warranty.
Gonna be checking my car. Tesla denys warranty if they think they can pass it off as something that could've been your fault. Really shady business model. Been burned too many times by tesla warranty.

Reactions: ahmadr
This is a recall. Don't let them BS you.

• Informative
Reactions: TunaBug
I hope people never accept improperly torqued fasteners as road accident or user error. I would escalate things if a service department actually had the gall to insult my intelligence with a reply like that.

What’s the proper torque for these bolts? I checked one of them when i had the front wheel off and it was torqued less than 100 foot lbs. the other front left was tighter. I’m not gonna tighten these down until i know the proper torque and whether or not lock tite should be applied.

Thanks.

Update: Tesla Service was great and fixed it for me within a day. I told them to torque all the bolts on the rest of the suspension parts down as well and put loctite on everything and by the looks of the new paint pen marks, I'd say they did! I feel a lot more safe and secure driving on the road now. It was out of warranty though :( but it was only $100. Could have been a lot worse.

Oh gosh, very disappointed to see these defects are still happening. This looks like a recall job or at least a service notice to owners to have their bolts re torqued. Thanks for sharing...My Tesla fix (the original post) is still holding strong. And they did have to replace the stabilizing arm when it was repaired as my alignment was off after the repair.

Literally happened to my wife. BOTH… or they single bolted it. The bolts lost their nuts and gravity did the rest with quite a bit of damage. They tack weld at least one nut to the frame and blast it with a wrench from bottom up through. I found one nut with 3 tack welds roll out as the tow truck winched it up. This nut had thick black paint with these tack welds. Poor workmanship. Tent made 2018 LRRWM3

Would installing the lug nuts the other way, at least prevent the suspension arm from separating from the frame? The way it is now, the lugs fall out, and the suspension arm drops and flops
For sure! This happened to my wife yesterday in the school pick up. The bolts were gone. I found -1 black painted nut with 3 very poor tack welds as it was winched up the tow truck!

The upside down bolt is absolutely stunning in this scenario.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Literally happened to my wife. BOTH… or they single bolted it. The bolts lost their nuts and gravity did the rest with quite a bit of damage. They tack weld at least one nut to the frame and blast it with a wrench from bottom up through. I found one nut with 3 tack welds roll out as the tow truck winched it up. This nut had thick black paint with these tack welds. Poor workmanship. Tent made 2018 LRRWM3
Yes, mine is also a 2018 LRRWM3 too.

Heard rattling that started 1-2 days ago. Google search brought be here. Checked my bolts and sure enough, one is almost completely out. The other lose. Just submitted Tesla service request, hopefully they can fix it quickly, car is obviously not safe to drive.