Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension software flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is quite likely that people posting this sort of comment, with a low post count, are hired by ICE manufacturers to blunt Tesla. After all, we now know Samsung did this to Apple.

Possibly other times, but not this time.

Look at the OP's first post. It's from May of 2013, when he was trying to sell both of his brand new Model S sedans. It looks like he probably sold one and kept the other.

2 Brand New Tesla S Sedans for Sale

My Acura TL with coil suspension settles about 3/4 inch after about 60 minutes of sitting. I find myself dragging the front on curbs frequently (it's my wife's car so I haven't learned). Not sure why it does this, I was guessing the shocks possibly build up air bubbles or something in the fluid.

It is quite likely that people posting this sort of comment, with a low post count, are hired by ICE manufacturers to blunt Tesla. After all, we now know Samsung did this to Apple.

I don't doubt that there are a few people who post on here that do so simply to trash Tesla. I haven't seen anyone who appears hired by an ICE manufacture nor do I believe it's in their best interest. The biggest enemy to ICE manufactures isn't Tesla, but Uber. But, lots of people hate uber.

The OP sounded pretty legit with a legit complaint. When it comes down to it he simply has a car he shouldn't have. In his initial post a couple years ago it seemed like he understood this, and was trying to sell the two cars he had. It was a bit bizarre because it seemed like some consignment thing where he was having some dealership friend sell his cars.

I don't mean to be ageist because I do strongly believe that people of advanced age can be extremely productive/active people, and it's becoming less rare for them to be that way. It simply comes down to a case by case basis, and in his case a Tesla probably isn't the right car. I don't think we should force someone to like a Tesla MS just because we do. We also know this kind of incidence with the SAS has happened to a good number of people so it probably should be something Tesla should look into. At the very least to make it more idiot proof. We're all idiots at some point where we forget about how something works, and we forget about the consequences of it.

Tesla should also look into why certain people aren't getting update. It's a little disturbing that his car wasn't updated for so long. Was that his fault for putting off updates? Or was it a glitch?

OP posted this at TM Forums and received an earful about individual responsibility and not blaming Tesla for his decision to park over a curb.

Isn't the definition of insanity repeating the same behavior while expecting different results?

He did get an earful from one side who said he should take responsibility, and he did get a number of responses that were sympathetic. Of people that pointed out there was indeed a software upgrade to address this. My own response was pretty moderate.

I think the mod did the right thing by combining the threads.

I don't think he should get silenced because it's an important topic since it's pretty standard practice for people to park over curbs without thinking twice about it.

I'll just point out that I am somewhat familiar with Vico from his posts on Seeking Alpha over the past few years. He seems to be exactly what he says he is, an older individual who was very pro Tesla, up until this issue. I'll also point out that his bumper has never fallen off, it's a bumper cover.

I'll just point out that I am somewhat familiar with Vico from his posts on Seeking Alpha over the past few years. He seems to be exactly what he says he is, an older individual who was very pro Tesla, up until this issue. I'll also point out that his bumper has never fallen off, it's a bumper cover.

I don't doubt Vico's sincerity.

However, let me ask you how many times would you park over a parking stop and rip off your bumper cover before you stopped doing that?

Larry

I personally experienced this once (I had my own thread...) and in my case my air suspension lowered after I parked back in and when I leave the parking spot, some underbody parts fell off or scratched. Not a big deal, but Tesla fixed it as they admitted that the car somehow lowered by itself and they were able to verify the behavior from the logs. The repair was free.

So if there is still such an issue, Tesla should fix it IMHO. In Japan it is rude to park avoiding the curbs (we call it tire stoppers). In other words we are supposed to park with the tires touching the curbs. And almost everyone parks back in.

I don't doubt Vico's sincerity.

However, let me ask you how many times would you park over a parking stop and rip off your bumper cover before you stopped doing that?

Larry

Hopefully only once :wink: But older people do forget things sometimes. Of course that does not meant Tesla should fix it each time for free.

Yes, I'm an old person and I do forget things sometimes, but that doesn't give me a pass from using common sense.

There may be a point when I won't be able to drive safely on my own. Hopefully, when that happens I be able to trade my Tesla in for a fully autonomous version. Then I can blame the car for everything. :wink:

Larry

I personally experienced this once (I had my own thread...) and in my case my air suspension lowered after I parked back in and when I leave the parking spot, some underbody parts fell off or scratched. Not a big deal, but Tesla fixed it as they admitted that the car somehow lowered by itself and they were able to verify the behavior from the logs. The repair was free.

So if there is still such an issue, Tesla should fix it IMHO. In Japan it is rude to park avoiding the curbs (we call it tire stoppers). In other words we are supposed to park with the tires touching the curbs. And almost everyone parks back in.

Hi Hiroshi,

My issue is not that this happens, but that it happened more than once and the original poster hasn't modified his behavior as a common sense sort of thing to do. Tesla did reattach the cover on the first occasion at no cost, and perhaps after reading this they will address the second occasion. However, sometimes we simply have to take responsibility for our actions.

With all due respect to the customs in Japan, I don't park my car over parking bumpers based on personal experience and common sense. You see, like you I personally experienced this once as well. I was more fortunate because I saw that the car lowered itself so I raised the car and safely backed off the parking bumper. And then, regardless of assigned "responsibility", I ceased to park my car over parking bumpers with the notable exception of parking bumpers at Supercharger Stations which I know were designed to specifically accommodate my car's low ground clearance.

Larry

Hi Hiroshi,

My issue is not that this happens, but that it happened more than once and the original poster hasn't modified his behavior as a common sense sort of thing to do. Tesla did reattach the cover on the first occasion at no cost, and perhaps after reading this they will address the second occasion. However, sometimes we simply have to take responsibility for our actions.

With all due respect to the customs in Japan, I don't park my car over parking bumpers based on personal experience and common sense. You see, like you I personally experienced this once as well. I was more fortunate because I saw that the car lowered itself so I raised the car and safely backed off the parking bumper. And then, regardless of assigned "responsibility", I ceased to park my car over parking bumpers with the notable exception of parking bumpers at Supercharger Stations which I know were designed to specifically accommodate my car's low ground clearance.

Larry

Hi, Larry, I agree with you that we users need to use common sense and avoid unnecessary incidents.

That said, it shouldn't lower while parked. People raise suspension to avoid not only curbs but also steep slope. If it accidentally lower and the driver drives over that steep slope without noticing the height...

Hi, Larry, I agree with you that we users need to use common sense and avoid unnecessary incidents.

That said, it shouldn't lower while parked. People raise suspension to avoid not only curbs but also steep slope. If it accidentally lower and the driver drives over that steep slope without noticing the height...

^^ Agree. I'm a new Tesla owner and this has happened to me twice. Fortunately I have no damage because I visually noticed the front bumper was way to close to the top of the parking curb (tires were 2-3 feet behind which is normal). Now I either raise the suspension as I pull in or, more frequently now that I've become aware this is a problem, park several feet back in the parking space. This looks very odd visually but it's a workaround until this gets fixed, hopefully quickly.

It's not a flaw and it doesn't lower. It levels. It's by design. Says so in the manual. Just don't park over curbs. It's rude to people on sidewalks anyway.

I'm talking about those concrete bumpers in most parking lots. They are designed as a marker for stopping your car if your tires touch them. Nobody walks in between those. If your car lowers (or levels as you say) it should not be touching those.

It's not a flaw and it doesn't lower. It levels. It's by design. Says so in the manual. Just don't park over curbs. It's rude to people on sidewalks anyway.

Where are you seeing this in the manual? All I could find was on page 93 under "Lowering".
"Automatic Lowering
When Model S is moving above typical driveway or parking lot speeds, Smart Air Suspension automatically lowers ride height to improve aerodynamics and handling. For most average speed driving, the suspension is automatically set to Standard. As described above, when you make manual height adjustments, the suspension automatically lowers at increased driving speeds.
When carrying loads, Smart Air Suspension also maintains a level height between the front and rear."

Incidentally, I had zero load in my car. Sounds like a flaw to me and if I had damaged my bumper I'd be pissed.

^^ Agree. I'm a new Tesla owner and this has happened to me twice. Fortunately I have no damage because I visually noticed the front bumper was way to close to the top of the parking curb (tires were 2-3 feet behind which is normal). Now I either raise the suspension as I pull in or, more frequently now that I've become aware this is a problem, park several feet back in the parking space. This looks very odd visually but it's a workaround until this gets fixed, hopefully quickly.

Yep, just common sense.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

It might be nice to be able to disable leveling, and not all curbs are by sidewalks.

Putting it in Jack mode does exactly that.

Larry