Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swap (+consideration) VW e-Golf for a Tesla to make long trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf SEL for almost 2 years now, and have never needed to go far outside it's battery range of 80-100 miles. Friday I'll be traveling to Tacoma to support my local community college's undefeated women's volleyball team as they compete for the NWAC championship. Alas, there are no CCS DC fast chargers yet between Portland and Tacoma, so a day trip in the e-Golf would be impossible.

For this trip I expect the timing is to close to arrange anything even if I find an amenable Tesla owner, so I plan to rent one in Portland if possible -- there's a listing on Turo. But I'd like to see if it's a practical idea for future trips.

I'm offering use of my car in exchange, with additional monetary compensation, for the day of the trip. I'm very climate-conscious, and will try almost anything to avoid contributing to the CO2 problem. However, I can't afford to rent a Tesla very often, and if there are any owners somewhere between Corvallis, Oregon; and Vancouver, WA; who would be willing to help out, and might even enjoy driving something different, but still clean, for a day.

Thanks for reading!

PS. I'm waiting eagerly for the Model Y.

Reactions: goneskiian
ROTFLMAO, -For the idea of rather drive anything other than a Tesla.

Be nice. They're trying to keep from renting an ICE and you're giving them a hard time for trying to appeal to the possibly other than Tesla EV curious, Tesla owner. If I was down that way I would consider it.

Good luck @jack8trades!

Thank you for clarifying my intentions, @goneskiian, and for being open to the possibility. You hit the nail right on the head. My idea of offering the e-Golf in exchange is that I don't imagine all Tesla owners have backup EVs, or even any second car, so I wanted them to be able to continue driving an EV while they derived monetary benefit from theirs. Also, seeing how I've treated my car well for 2 years might alleviate some concern that their baby was in good hands. ;)

Finally, while I'm under no illusions that the e-Golf is even close to being a better car, it does have nice fit and finish, and drives very nice and sportily. I would expect to still be interested in experiencing lesser cars even if I owned a Tesla (as long as it didn't run on gas.) For example, if any local Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Think City, etc., owners wanted to swap with me, I'd be open to the idea.

If I lived on the I-5 corridor I would have traded the Leaf (w/ DCQC) with you. I've wanted to try the e-Golf but there are very few in eastern WA state. Perhaps you should have tried the Leaf forums.

Be nice. They're trying to keep from renting an ICE and you're giving them a hard time for trying to appeal to the possibly other than Tesla EV curious, Tesla owner. If I was down that way I would consider it.

Good luck @jack8trades!
Yeah, I'm always interested in driving other kinds of cars just to see what they are like and how they compare to things. I've never even gotten to drive any other electric car than a Tesla, so I would be interested to see what a Leaf or e-Golf is like.

I just got to drive a gas Nissan Versa rental on a trip to Seattle last weekend, and it had some interesting pros and cons. It has the tight turning radius, good steering, and maneuverability that I really like in small body cars. And suspension was surprisingly decent. But of course the transmission/drivetrain was an irritation, and the position of pedals versus non-telescoping steering wheel seems like it is built for people under 5 feet tall, so it was not very good ergonomically for a 6 footer.

Yeah, I'm always interested in driving other kinds of cars just to see what they are like and how they compare to things. I've never even gotten to drive any other electric car than a Tesla, so I would be interested to see what a Leaf or e-Golf is like.
Drop me a line the next time you're at the Kennewick SC. The Leaf isn't a Tesla, and my degraded battery means very little regen, especially in the winter, but it's a great little in-town car and my primary driver for short trips. The 70D is my road trip car and the last time I drove it was almost two weeks ago. The Leaf has been running 2-6 trips a day.

Drop me a line the next time you're at the Kennewick SC. The Leaf isn't a Tesla, and my degraded battery means very little regen, especially in the winter, but it's a great little in-town car and my primary driver for short trips. The 70D is my road trip car and the last time I drove it was almost two weeks ago. The Leaf has been running 2-6 trips a day.
Well, that would be the first time, since I've never been to Kennewick. I do have a friend here in town that I was just advising through the process of finding and getting a used electric car, and they got a 2015 Leaf, so I will probably have a chance to try one. Besides our Model S, our other car is a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, and it sounds like my wife is on board with replacing it with a used short range electric car when we do eventually make that change.

If I lived on the I-5 corridor I would have traded the Leaf (w/ DCQC) with you. I've wanted to try the e-Golf but there are very few in eastern WA state. Perhaps you should have tried the Leaf forums.
I'm actually planning on buying a used Leaf as a second car, and will try renting it out on Turo at a rate similar to an ICEr, for people who want to try electric, or have an option to an ICE loaner/rental while their own EV is in for a lengthy shop stay.