Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping 22” onyx black wheels with 20” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

winnie408

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2023
Los Angeles
Hi - I just bought a used MX with 22” onyx black wheels. I’ve heard the battery efficiency is much worse with 22’s. Should I switch to 20’s and if so, what are some popular / recommended wheels? And should I keep the 22’s for resale or do most people not like them? What’s the ballpark for how much I should sell them for? Thanks! (Not very savvy on wheels!)

I'm in thesame boat myself. Love the look of the 22s, I need the mileage. I'm thinking of trying to do a trade, but haven't had any luck yet. However our current dwelling place is not exactly in Tesla heaven. We're taking a trip back up to the northwest in a few weeks, I think I'll try to swap them there. Where you are there should be half a million model X's within an easy drive. I'm pretty sure you could find somebody to swap with. Maybe a Craigslist post would be in order.

I bought a 2016 X with 22s, and swapped them for 20s back in 2021. Here is my experience :
- Worked fine, go ahead and get the 20s but make sure the new wheels have TPMS sensors, or pay somebody to transfer the TPMS from the 22s to 20s.
- No real difference in efficiency or range or comfort going from 22s to 20s in my experience.
- The bigger difference is in the tires. If the 22s had sticky performance tires, then you will see a range increase going to the 20s with non-performance tires. In my case the 22s already had non-performance aftermarket tires. Maybe you can keep the 22s and buy more efficient tires.
- The main reasons I got the 20s is so that new tires are cheaper, and to avoid tire blowouts on potholes, I live in the city and there are several bad roads.
Hope this helps!

• Informative
Reactions: GasNah and henderrj
That previous post is wrong. Switching will make a big impact on range and efficiency

My 2019 MXP Raven came with the 22" Onyx. I was averaging 430+ wh/mi and it was killing my range. It's even worse on the highway and definitely kills 20-30% of your (rated) range. I found a wheel shop nearby with the 20" Cyberstream wheels pulled off from a new refreshed X and sold my 22" wheels to them. It still cost me $500 for the swap, but my Onyx wheels had repaired curb rash and even though the Pirelli tires had less than 1k Mi on them they had 2 plugs from punctures.

I love the look of the Cyberstreams over the earlier 20" wheels from Tesla and think they're the best looking 20" wheels that Tesla has made. But I still miss the look of the 22" Onyx lol!

It's completely worth it to switch IMO. Im a courteous driver who happens to drive fast (and furious?) and my wh/mi dropped to around 360, even with aggressive acceleration and a handful of launches (I have the performance model).

The other benefit is that the tires will last twice as long as the 22's!

Check this article out:

Reactions: ngng and henderrj
That previous post is wrong. Switching will make a big impact on range and efficiency

My 2019 MXP Raven came with the 22" Onyx. I was averaging 430+ wh/mi and it was killing my range. It's even worse on the highway and definitely kills 20-30% of your (rated) range. I found a wheel shop nearby with the 20" Cyberstream wheels pulled off from a new refreshed X and sold my 22" wheels to them. It still cost me $500 for the swap, but my Onyx wheels had repaired curb rash and even though the Pirelli tires had less than 1k Mi on them they had 2 plugs from punctures.

I love the look of the Cyberstreams over the earlier 20" wheels from Tesla and think they're the best looking 20" wheels that Tesla has made. But I still miss the look of the 22" Onyx lol!

It's completely worth it to switch IMO. Im a courteous driver who happens to drive fast (and furious?) and my wh/mi dropped to around 360, even with aggressive acceleration and a handful of launches (I have the performance model).

The other benefit is that the tires will last twice as long as the 22's!

Check this article out:

BTW I did a chrome delete, and with the refresh model Cyberstream wheels it looks like a newer model. As long as you dont notice the fog lights lol

the 22s just look so much better.
I completely agree! But getting 60% of the rated range on the highway is brutal. That was the nail in the coffin and convinced me to make the switch, especially since the new Cyberstream wheels look 1000% better than the old Slipstreams IMO. The better ride quality and tires that last 2x as long are also hard to argue with

On my MS there was NO way I would have switched out my 21" Sonic Turbines with the 19s lol

I completely agree! But getting 60% of the rated range on the highway is brutal. That was the nail in the coffin and convinced me to make the switch, especially since the new Cyberstream wheels look 1000% better than the old Slipstreams IMO. The better ride quality and tires that last 2x as long are also hard to argue with

On my MS there was NO way I would have switched out my 21" Sonic Turbines with the 19s lol

no wonder your avatar pic is with the 22" wheels lol, I have the 22" wheels and I am trying to convince myself if going 20" is worth it, I feel like the 20" make it look more like a mini van vs the 22" lol

no wonder your avatar pic is with the 22" wheels lol, I have the 22" wheels and I am trying to convince myself if going 20" is worth it, I feel like the 20" make it look more like a mini van vs the 22" lol
I agree 100% that the 22” wheels look like they fit the car better and distinguish it from a minivan.

But now that I’ve had the 20” Cyberstreams for a few months I can say that’s it’s a worth the change.

I can punch it anytime and still average around 85%. With the 22s I was lucky to average 60% rated range!

Reactions: GasNah
If anyone has the 22" Turbine wheels that they'd like to swap with the Cyberstream ones, please let me know as I'd be interested in swapping my Cyberstreams :)
I have my OEM 22" Onyx Black Wheels from my 2016 MX90D that I'm looking to offload. I went with the 19" Model X Cyclones and paired them with an All-Season and will probably not go back to a bigger size.

The 22's definitely need some rash repair (came with some curb rash when bought used, drove in Chicago for the first 6 months of ownership) but are otherwise solid. Let me know if you're interested!

If anyone has the 22" Turbine wheels that they'd like to swap with the Cyberstream ones, please let me know as I'd be interested in swapping my Cyberstreams :)
I have 4 fairly new ones. No curb rashes, tires are like new. I would be interested in swapping.

Attachments

• IMG_6467.jpg
    IMG_6467.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6466.jpg
    IMG_6466.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 49