Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sway bar not centered causing rubbing on dips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sc replaced my entire suspension in the past 6 months and brought it home noisier than I had brought it in. I fixed a couple of the problems they introduced from poor quality workmanship. I’ve had one remaining noise left it only happened over large bumps or on a downhill turning sharp right and sounded like rubbing. Almost like a honking flatulence but definitely rubbing. I took my right wheel off and lo and behold I see it. It appears the crap mechanic at Tesla installed the sway bar not centered and so it’s so very close to one of the chassis beam on that passenger side , that it’s rubbing against it when suspension is loaded. See pictures $&@# incompetent sc mechanics.

Ok to my question - how difficult is this job. Is this something I can do without much taking things apart? Or should I take it back to sc? My reluctance is any time I take it to sc they supposedly fix one thing or nothing at all and then introduce more things that they broke.

IMG_0677.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 4
I installed a MPP sway bar and the recommendation was removing the rear underbelly pan, but loosen, and loosen, not remove the rear bumper, under which you'd find the sway bar. It was a pain to remove and replace and hard to get at the bolts. At the minimum, you would easily have a several hour job.

If it's relatively short drive and you can get in soon, I'd take it back to the SC. However, my closest SC is 200 miles away, in which case I'd be tempted to fix it myself. I purchased a cordless ratchet just for this job, which made R&R of the panels a breeze. I would not want to do it with just a ratchet.

Reactions: njhtran