TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sweaty back /seat cover recommendation

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by MikeR55, Jan 1, 2020.

1. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

So now that I own the car trying to figure out what to do about this. Even when I tested the car both in white and black seats no matter how cold it is outside for some reason my back on this material gets very sweaty. Does anybody have a recommendation for a seat cover?

And the odd thing is I'm not a big guy, 5 foot 8 155 lbs.

2. tvad

tvad Member

NY Taxi driver approved.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. LACALawyer

LACALawyer Banned

It's not the car, you sweat excessively.

• Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  4. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Well I don't in any other car or in my life. But thanks, but doesn't answer the question

5. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

There's a company that sells real leather seat covers that look just like the OEM seat covers and come in the same colors. Maybe real leather will help you.

6. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Thanks- but I won't do real leather. I did find a cooling seat cushion on Amazon I may try

7. jamaro

jamaro Member

If you're open to a temporary solution, I use a seat hoodie now and then. This* is the one I have, I chose it because I wanted a light colored one that would minimize the risk of dye transfer to my white seats but there's tons of similar options out there. Seat hoodies are nice because they are easy on/off, machine washable and will not obstruct the side airbags.

*While the product photo shows a big ugly logo on the headrest, the cover is reversible and thus the logo can be hidden when in use.

• Like x 1
  8. mdelvin

mdelvin Member

Get a back support made out of mesh. This will allow a more airflow behind you.

• Like x 1
  9. LACALawyer

LACALawyer Banned

It answers it perfectly....out of the thousands and thousands of posts I've read on this site over the years, NO ONE else has reported the seats to be sweaty....therefore, the seats are not the problem.

• Disagree x 1
  10. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

No one in the history of non porous pleather seats have said they are hot against their back?

11. LACALawyer

LACALawyer Banned

Not on this site....

12. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Well, then it's me- and apparently you don't have a recommendation for a mesh back seat cover like someone else so nicely did. But thanks for playing!

• Funny x 1
  13. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Huh.. no one in the history of this site...

Hot seats ..

14. TMThree

TMThree Active Member

The seat material doesn't breath. Thais why VW's leatherette has perforations to avoid this issue.

Excessive heat can make it worse but I think choice in shirts can help add space to some degree too. Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy solution. Seat covers are not cool because of seat airbags and even if you avoid potential issues, the cover has to attach and that usually means rub points or pressure areas somewhere which can cause damage over time.

• Like x 1
  15. tvad

tvad Member

Touche!

The linked thread, with zero replies, might be the loneliest post on this site.

16. Brother T

Brother T Stealth Performance

I feel tempted to reply “hi” just to make the guy happy and feel included.

• Like x 1
  17. LACALawyer

LACALawyer Banned

And not a word about sweating...when you've trying to prove a point, also try and avoid embarrassing yourself even further.

See a doctor about that excessive sweating...there are treatments available.

• Disagree x 1
  18. jamaro

jamaro Member

This seat cover looks nice as well and would do a better job of ventilation than the seat hoodie I linked before. The seat hoodie is more for absorption than prevention (great for post-workout/post-beach though).

19. bigroo42

bigroo42 Member

A. ( I edited my original thought here as to not fight fire with fire.)
    B. I do suffer from hyperhidrosis and you have no idea what you're talking about. The treatment for this is a prescription anti perspirant that is only intended for underarms.
    C. To the op I bought a cooling seat pad with little fans in it that plugs into the accessory outlet in the armrest (off eBay). Does OK and it was only 35 bucks. And just the mention of that type if seat pad/cover will undoubtedly bring out the "it will cover and obstruct the airbags!!!" crowd.
    Anyway, hot / unbreathable seats is #1 or 2 on my very short list of cons for this car.

20. boriszima

boriszima Member

Why are you being mean to OP? If you got nothing nice to say, don’t say it.

@MikeR55 - I also have the same problem with most leather or fake leather seats. So don’t feel bad that you might be the only one here. I have not found a solution other then to keep inside temp lower. This does not happen to me if seats are cloth. I do wish model 3 had heated and cooling like it had for mode s/x. Anyways, hopefully you find a solution and if you do share it here. Good luck

• Like x 2