Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would also be interested to know. hope you are driving around enjoying the car.

Wonder if it was similar to this:
edouard bissada | 28 MAART 2013My car was fixed 5 days after it died. The problem was related to a faulty connection on the high voltage interlock loop, which would cause the car to go to sleep. It been about 5 days since it was returned and so far no problems, love the car,

Last edited:
I just had my first experience with "Roadside assistance", not that I needed it as I was at home. And my circuit breaker for my 14-50 circuit, which worked fine for 6 weeks, started popping every 5 minutes.
I called them, and within 10 minutes, they a) had me sit in my car, b) remotely diagnosed, c) told me to reduce the amperage, d) recommended solutions and told me what to look for over the next 72 hours;
I was shocked at the response. I would never expect this great an efficient response from any company. Whole thing lasted 10 minutes.
Other, who have had their car back in service for weeks, I feel sorry for, as once you have this car, all bets with other manufacturers are off!

Well, its been 22 days since your problem started. Not sure if you live in MD or VA, but both state's Lemon Laws are very clear. Both have wording that are like if the car has attempted to been repaired 3 or 4 times and problem persists, or if there is a serious safety defect that can't be corrected, or if the car has been out of service for 30 days with no resolve, then you are BY LAW entitled to 100% refund or replacement vehicle. The state has your back.

If you wanted to, you could talk to a lemon law lawyer about it and mention this to Tesla, to see if they can commit to start building your replacement vehicle without involving legal cost. Remember to get everything in writing. I've gone through this once before with another manufacturer where they were dragging their feet for 30 days over a major safety defect that occurred within the first few months of ownership (*not* Tesla, lol). They couldn't even figure out what was causing it, let alone fix it The first time I mentioned "lawyer" in writing (email) I had a deal signed by end of that very same day, lol (and it was totally a bluff too, I had never actually talked to a lawyer but I read the law and knew my rights). But my plan worked and that seemed enough I guess to light a fire under their a$$. Problem solved. I hope you get your's resolved too. If they haven't figured it out yet, I'd start pushing for the replacement (and some compensation for your troubles). and get it in writing. Did I mention get it in writing? lol, make sure you have a paper trail. Ok I'm done now, good luck

I am sorry to see the direction this thread has taken. I wish everyone would just back down and take a breather. Yes, the car I received has problems. Yes, the service center thought they found the problem several times, only to be proven wrong. As a result, Tesla felt that it would be best to ship the car back to Fremont so that the engineers that are intimately familar with the design can throughly examine the vehicle to determine what causes it to go to sleep.

This is NOT an indictment of the company, the car or the service center. Tesla is standing behind their product 100 percent, and fully intends to make me happy. Tesla is just as upset with this specific car (i.e., VIN 6087) as I am (maybe even more upset, as each car produced is their "baby"). I believe in the company and the product. At the present time, there is only so much the service centers can do. ALL car manuafacturers produce a vehicle here and there that has problems. No one likes it, but it happens. However, I can assure you that Tesla is going way beyond what GM, Ford, Toyota, Lexus or MB would do in such a situation, and their solution was offered without my asking for it. I can assaure you that Tesla will take care of anyone that has a problem with their car, regardless of what that problem may be.

I ask that everyone please calm down and wait. Tesla will find the problem with the car. There are over 7,000 Model S's on the road. Please do not write off the vehicle because of one (or even a few) problem cars. I have not.

Even though I only got to put a few miles on the car, I miss it already. Tesla has taken care of everything associated with my incident, including providing me with alternative transportaion in the meantime. Unlike some on this thread, I eagerly await my Model S.

Everything will be solved. Please be patient. It is an amazing car and an outstanding company. I have owned Lexus, Infinity, MB, Audi vehicles, and the care given by Tesla is outstanding; way above those car companies.

Thank you everyone that expressed their concern and sympathy for my sitiuation. I appreciate all those comments. Now, lets please sit back and let Tesla take care of the problem. Every Tesla owner will benefit from my situation.
SWEGMAN, I have gone thru every post in this thread to find the right place to respond, YOU ARE MY HERO! I don't know your age but you have responded to this dilemma and unfortunate situation with a CALM and WISENESS beyond your years, I am proud to be in the same FAMILY OF OWNERSHIP as someone of your caliber, BRAVO. and !!! WORDS FAIL ME>

Dear Swegman,

We of Faith will be waiting the final game plan and outcome. Please let us know. I am wondering if they did the simplest thing - reload the firmware. I know, they must have. Only ask as I had 2 black screens, no stereo in December and with a firmware update: Violá. And not a bump in the Tesla road since. We wish this car well, may she return home soon. May Nikola be with you in the meantime.

Dear Swegman,

We of Faith will be waiting the final game plan and outcome. Please let us know. I am wondering if they did the simplest thing - reload the firmware. I know, they must have. Only ask as I had 2 black screens, no stereo in December and with a firmware update: Violá. And not a bump in the Tesla road since. We wish this car well, may she return home soon. May Nikola be with you in the meantime.

Just remember what you had in November! Clunky Frunk Junk that Stunk!

Sent via Tapatalk

As I said in another thread Model S is a very advanced car at the border of present technology and for this reason these things can happen. I think that you should consider yourself a pioneer in the field of EVs and as all pioneers you are going to undertake some troubles. But the solutions to your problems will be useful for next buyers. Then I would like to say that from another thread I saw that in these cases Tesla makes every possible effort to work out the problem in a short time.
Eventually we will have a market where buyers will be very willing to get EVs and that's good.

What?

"Never buy Version 1.0 of anything"

The initial buyers will end up doing the beta-testing..