Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got my model s 85 non perf. Only drove it for 2 days. Just went down to my car and handles would not auto present. Unlocked using key went in everything was dark. Tesla is coming to take car away, they tried to remotely diagnose and all they could tell me was that car went to sleep with an error code (what ever that means). So it seems Swegman is not alone. My symptoms are identical to Swegman's, also my VIN 5952 is very close to his. This is really shi**y

Sorry to hear that Ed. Hopefully you and sweg are back on the road soon!

Recently got my model s 85 non perf. Only drove it for 2 days. Just went down to my car and handles would not auto present. Unlocked using key went in everything was dark. Tesla is coming to take car away, they tried to remotely diagnose and all they could tell me was that car went to sleep with an error code (what ever that means). So it seems Swegman is not alone. My symptoms are identical to Swegman's, also my VIN 5952 is very close to his. This is really shi**y

Tesla really needs to get in front of this.

I'm amazed that swegman has not received an answer on what is wrong with his car. They need to find out what part is failing ASAP, and do a recall of all infected cars. the media fallout should be fun...

~~~Just to break up the stream of negativity in this thread... I just have to say... I freaking love the Model S. I love it more with each day that passes. It is indescribably awesome to drive. If there is one day I don't drive the car, I get sad and angry. I would have paid $20,000 more for it if they asked for it.~~~

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled negativity...

Tesla really needs to get in front of this.

I'm amazed that swegman has not received an answer on what is wrong with his car. They need to find out what part is failing ASAP, and do a recall of all infected cars. the media fallout should be fun...

~~~Just to break up the stream of negativity in this thread... I just have to say... I freaking love the Model S. I love it more with each day that passes. It is indescribably awesome to drive. If there is one day I don't drive the car, I get sad and angry. I would have paid $20,000 more for it if they asked for it.~~~

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled negativity...
You, kinddog, sad and angry? :)

I drove an ICE in San Francisco area last week. After only a month of my S. Disgusting. Frustrating!!! Did what others do ... left engine running. Sat in drivers seat; "oh f***, this stooopid car needs a key! Etc. etc.

So just got off the phone with the Toronto Service Centre asking if they have any info on what is going wrong with the car (they flatbedded it away from me at 3:30 p.m. yesterday) and was told "we just got seven new cars in and are dealing with those, have not had a chance to look at your car yet will let you know when we do". This really upset me, they appear to be prioritizing new deliveries, over an existing customer's sick car. I get that new customers are anxious to get their new cars, I was to, but I would think that dealing with a current customers dead car would and should take priority from both a customer service and PR perspective. Maybe I am being unreasonable?

So just got off the phone with the Toronto Service Centre asking if they have any info on what is going wrong with the car (they flatbedded it away from me at 3:30 p.m. yesterday) and was told "we just got seven new cars in and are dealing with those, have not had a chance to look at your car yet will let you know when we do". This really upset me, they appear to be prioritizing new deliveries, over an existing customer's sick car. I get that new customers are anxious to get their new cars, I was to, but I would think that dealing with a current customers dead car would and should take priority from both a customer service and PR perspective. Maybe I am being unreasonable?

me and my friend are cancelling the reservations after reading all this. i think tesla needs some more time. still love the product.

me and my friend are cancelling the reservations after reading all this. i think tesla needs some more time. still love the product.

They definitely need to hire more people and will I'm sure. Things take time but its still a great car to drive. Each service center is different so I wouldn't cancel based on one experience. They should take care if existing customers first but they also have to deliver/move cars out of the service center to make room as well. I'd ask how other owners are doing with their service issues in the regional forum before canceling.

There should be two teams involved ... one for new deliveries and one for repairs.
However, are you sure when he said "seven new" that he did mean new cars, not seven new cars that also have similar problems? Was he emphatic that he meant for delivery?
All (car) companies will make mistakes ... they're called growing pains, and us early adopters will have our emotional moments both pre and post delivery.
To ... ksdprasad ... think about it overnight. This didn't happen to you. I've had my car 35 days and not a lick of trouble. You will too. And if you cancel, you'll only regret it later.
I went to cancel a couple of times ... seriously ... and I am so frikking glad I didn't!

In an ideal world your car would take priority. But with 7 new cars coming in they need to prep them and get them out as quickly as possible since space and manpower is limited etc.

That said, I'd be asking the same questions as you if it were my car and it hadn't even been looked at yet. (especially since you've only driven it 2 days).

I guess if you're in no hurry at all and are very risk averse then that's a good idea. Anyone very risk averse is wise to avoid the first year production run of any new vehicle from any manufacturer as there will almost always be unforeseen issues.

That said, 99% of us have had few significant issues with the Model S...what you're seeing broadcast here are the 1% who did...and those 1% are going to draw a lot of attention. If each of us with no problems started a new thread every week saying "No new problems for efusco's Model s" this forum would be unreadable b/c of the volume of positive posts.

This is a good car and great product, and if you were willing to accept a first year production run prior to seeing this thread, then you should still be willing to do so.

I agree that those 7 new cars need to be delivered, and I recognize that my gut reaction may have been unreasonable, which is why I posited the question. I know Tesla is trying very hard and for the most part they are doing a good job (they did get me a loaner right away). My frustration stems from the fact that I really loved the car so much I just want it back. I don't think anyone should cancel based on my post. The car is truly awesome and when its right it's really right. My issue may be a very small one that will get fixed quickly, if not it will get fixed eventually. If I didn't like the car so much I would not be this upset, after all I can still get around. And anyone has been to the Toronto service/delivery centre will know that it is small and as such it may have been physically impossible to get my car in. Obviously I have calmed down a little. Still anxious to get the car back though.

I agree that those 7 new cars need to be delivered, and I recognize that my gut reaction may have been unreasonable, which is why I posited the question. I know Tesla is trying very hard and for the most part they are doing a good job (they did get me a loaner right away). My frustration stems from the fact that I really loved the car so much I just want it back. I don't think anyone should cancel based on my post. The car is truly awesome and when its right it's really right. My issue may be a very small one that will get fixed quickly, if not it will get fixed eventually. If I didn't like the car so much I would not be this upset, after all I can still get around. And anyone has been to the Toronto service/delivery centre will know that it is small and as such it may have been physically impossible to get my car in. Obviously I have calmed down a little. Still anxious to get the car back though.
That's totally understandable and justified. I'm sure anyone would be anxious to get their car back as soon as possible. Hope they get it worked out quickly.

It appears swegman is happy and Tesla is taking care of him which is good. I'm sure he will chime in when he is able to and has more to contribute on the subject.

So two of you are making $100.000 purchasing decisions based on an internet forum thread? Really?
first of all dont judge me. and moreover we dont have any throw away money, and i always read comments in internet whether they are good or bad before buying a product. otherwise all the reviews on boards and forums are useless.

FYI, we have been watching this forum from long time and our original decision is also factored from the inputs from this forum along with our personal interaction with car and our test ride and other info from internet.

BTW, i still love the car.

first of all dont judge me. and moreover we dont have any throw away money, and i always read comments in internet whether they are good or bad before buying a product. otherwise all the reviews on boards and forums are useless.

FYI, we have been watching this forum from long time and our original decision is also factored from the inputs from this forum along with our personal interaction with car and our test ride and other info from internet.

BTW, i still love the car.

You were not "judged".

I assume English is not your first language?

Never mind, I just realized that you are French. It's probably better to hold off. Being an early adopter can be challenging and it's not for everyone.

Not everyone has the courage to be a pioneer. The safe route is to wait.

Guys, let's ease off a bit please. Everybody has different tolerances for risk here. I have been talking with swegman daily, hell, this whole damn thing went down in my driveway -- it was a bit traumatizing, but I still sent in my full ACH for my Model S a few days ago. Then, I questioned myself and won't stop doing it until there's a fix for his issue. We can't be militant about people having different reactions to this -- if they don't want the greatest car of this century or the next, so be it ;).

It is my understanding that Tesla is physically looking through that whole car, and that the highest levels are intimately involved. Knowledge is growing for all of us, but yes it is a painful process.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I am sorry to see the direction this thread has taken. I wish everyone would just back down and take a breather. Yes, the car I received has problems. Yes, the service center thought they found the problem several times, only to be proven wrong. As a result, Tesla felt that it would be best to ship the car back to Fremont so that the engineers that are intimately familar with the design can throughly examine the vehicle to determine what causes it to go to sleep.

This is NOT an indictment of the company, the car or the service center. Tesla is standing behind their product 100 percent, and fully intends to make me happy. Tesla is just as upset with this specific car (i.e., VIN 6087) as I am (maybe even more upset, as each car produced is their "baby"). I believe in the company and the product. At the present time, there is only so much the service centers can do. ALL car manuafacturers produce a vehicle here and there that has problems. No one likes it, but it happens. However, I can assure you that Tesla is going way beyond what GM, Ford, Toyota, Lexus or MB would do in such a situation, and their solution was offered without my asking for it. I can assaure you that Tesla will take care of anyone that has a problem with their car, regardless of what that problem may be.

I ask that everyone please calm down and wait. Tesla will find the problem with the car. There are over 7,000 Model S's on the road. Please do not write off the vehicle because of one (or even a few) problem cars. I have not.

Even though I only got to put a few miles on the car, I miss it already. Tesla has taken care of everything associated with my incident, including providing me with alternative transportaion in the meantime. Unlike some on this thread, I eagerly await my Model S.

Everything will be solved. Please be patient. It is an amazing car and an outstanding company. I have owned Lexus, Infinity, MB, Audi vehicles, and the care given by Tesla is outstanding; way above those car companies.

Thank you everyone that expressed their concern and sympathy for my sitiuation. I appreciate all those comments. Now, lets please sit back and let Tesla take care of the problem. Every Tesla owner will benefit from my situation.

I ask that everyone please calm down and wait. Tesla will find the problem with the car. There are over 7,000 Model S's on the road. Please do not write off the vehicle because of one (or even a few) problem cars. I have not.

Even though I only got to put a few miles on the car, I miss it already. Tesla has taken care of everything associated with my incident, including providing me with alternative transportaion in the meantime. Unlike some on this thread, I eagerly await my Model S.

Everything will be solved. Please be patient. It is an amazing car and an outstanding company. I have owned Lexus, Infinity, MB, Audi vehicles, and the care given by Tesla is outstanding; way above those car companies.

Thank you everyone that expressed their concern and sympathy for my sitiuation. I appreciate all those comments. Now, lets please sit back and let Tesla take care of the problem. Every Tesla owner will benefit from my situation.

Well said! Thanks for keeping things in perspective and keeping us updated. It's tough being in your position but it will hopefully help others down the line. Glad they are taking care of you.