Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sorry to see the direction this thread has taken. I wish everyone would just back down and take a breather. Yes, the car I received has problems. Yes, the service center thought they found the problem several times, only to be proven wrong. As a result, Tesla felt that it would be best to ship the car back to Fremont so that the engineers that are intimately familar with the design can throughly examine the vehicle to determine what causes it to go to sleep.

This is NOT an indictment of the company, the car or the service center. Tesla is standing behind their product 100 percent, and fully intends to make me happy. Tesla is just as upset with this specific car (i.e., VIN 6087) as I am (maybe even more upset, as each car produced is their "baby"). I believe in the company and the product. At the present time, there is only so much the service centers can do. ALL car manuafacturers produce a vehicle here and there that has problems. No one likes it, but it happens. However, I can assure you that Tesla is going way beyond what GM, Ford, Toyota, Lexus or MB would do in such a situation, and their solution was offered without my asking for it. I can assaure you that Tesla will take care of anyone that has a problem with their car, regardless of what that problem may be.

I ask that everyone please calm down and wait. Tesla will find the problem with the car. There are over 7,000 Model S's on the road. Please do not write off the vehicle because of one (or even a few) problem cars. I have not.

Even though I only got to put a few miles on the car, I miss it already. Tesla has taken care of everything associated with my incident, including providing me with alternative transportaion in the meantime. Unlike some on this thread, I eagerly await my Model S.

Everything will be solved. Please be patient. It is an amazing car and an outstanding company. I have owned Lexus, Infinity, MB, Audi vehicles, and the care given by Tesla is outstanding; way above those car companies.

Thank you everyone that expressed their concern and sympathy for my sitiuation. I appreciate all those comments. Now, lets please sit back and let Tesla take care of the problem. Every Tesla owner will benefit from my situation.

Just to add to what Steve has said, Tesla is going above and beyond to support their product. I have had some issues with my Signature S and between the great support from great people and an outstanding product that really is a unique, game changer in the industry, I have not had a single second of buyer's remorse. I love the car and would not change my buying decision!

I am sorry to see the direction this thread has taken. I wish everyone would just back down and take a breather. Yes, the car I received has problems. Yes, the service center thought they found the problem several times, only to be proven wrong. As a result, Tesla felt that it would be best to ship the car back to Fremont so that the engineers that are intimately familar with the design can throughly examine the vehicle to determine what causes it to go to sleep.
snip
+10 ...

~~~Just to break up the stream of negativity in this thread... I just have to say... I freaking love the Model S. I love it more with each day that passes. It is indescribably awesome to drive. If there is one day I don't drive the car, I get sad and angry. I would have paid $20,000 more for it if they asked for it.~~~

Me too. I simply don't have the words to express how much I LOVE this car. I've never in my life looked for excuses to drive somewhere. When I run short errands I drive slowly so I can be in the car longer. The experience is simply unprecedented from so many angles.

me and my friend are cancelling the reservations after reading all this. i think tesla needs some more time. still love the product.

If my car is "sleeping" the next time I go to the garage I'll be sad, and maybe a little frustrated. I'll wait for Tesla to fix it (impatiently or not) and love it just as much when I get it back.

That said, 99% of us have had few significant issues with the Model S...what you're seeing broadcast here are the 1% who did...and those 1% are going to draw a lot of attention. If each of us with no problems started a new thread every week saying "No new problems for efusco's Model s" this forum would be unreadable b/c of the volume of positive posts.

Exactly. Unreadable. I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to get on the forum and start a thread about how much I love the car. I resisted because this is where we come to learn and compare notes on this game changing marvel. We discuss many "negative" issues both minor and major. A small (yes growing maybe but still small) percentage of our forum friends are experiencing a major issue. They're sad and frustrated. We all are. We're all concerned. Tesla is going to make this right. I'm certain of it. When they do, these folks will get to drive the Model S again. The car is worth the first adopter headaches. My advice is; don't miss out.

I just want to clarify one comment that efusco said. He said 1% of the Model S owners have significant issues. That is incorrect. Based on confidential information given to me, it is an order of magnitude LESS, and Tesla is striving to achieve zero significant issues.

Tesla felt that it would be best to ship the car back to Fremont so that the engineers that are intimately familar with the design can throughly examine the vehicle to determine what causes it to go to sleep.

that is good to hear...

Everything will be solved. Please be patient. It is an amazing car and an outstanding company..

your tone/attitude has taken a dramatic turn since the beginning of this thread. I assume Tesla is to credit for this. excellent.

I concur with swegman's sentiments. Yes, problems have arisen with some people's cars. Yes, the car itself probably requires a greater degree of owner involvement and interest than your average car. At this stage, it may not the right car for someone who would only be happy if everything goes smoothly from day one (not to suggest that for many Model S owners, things haven't been very smooth and trouble free). But in my experience (my car was in the shop for 11 days shortly after I bought it), Tesla is doing everything they can to make things right for owners and I am quite sure they will identify and fix the problems that some people like swegman are having (a very small percent of the total). I was frustrated when my car was in the shop, but the main reason was that I didn't have the car to drive. To put it another way, if Tesla had come back and told me they would refund my money and buy back my old car (a Volt) and make me financially whole in the deal, I would have said no. I would have chosen to keep my Model S, even though I recognize that with all of the new technology in the car there is likely to be some things that need to be resolved along the way. I'm guessing a lot of other owners feel the same way. I'm hoping for swegman's sake that they get things fixed asap for him, so he can be back on the road enjoying his car.

My 2009 Audi spent 30+ days in the shop for a wiring issue in the dash. Audi was great. They fixed it and it remains one of my favorite cars. We buy the car and we buy the care after the purchase. All I can say about TM is that they do a great job with after sales service.

Me too. I simply don't have the words to express how much I LOVE this car. I've never in my life looked for excuses to drive somewhere. When I run short errands I drive slowly so I can be in the car longer. The experience is simply unprecedented from so many angles.

I am the exact same way. My wife has come to the understanding that when we go anywhere we are taking my car. She thinks it is so I can "show it off" but it is quite the opposite. I just love driving it and being in her ICE just makes me sad. I have owned a lot of "fun to drive cars" but none of them come close to comparing to the experience in the Model S. This is the only car that, for me, doesn't have any quirks that I have to ignore or drive around. It is a truely rewarding driving experience.

FYI - My car has been perfect in every way since I took delivery.

swegman - I hope your car comes back to you soon and good luck to you sir.

I just want to clarify one comment that efusco said. He said 1% of the Model S owners have significant issues. That is incorrect. Based on confidential information given to me, it is an order of magnitude LESS, and Tesla is striving to achieve zero significant issues.
I'm curious what the definition of "significant" is. I have a touchscreen that goes bonkers periodically. Is that significant? It's not something I can accept in the long term, unlike the wimpy visors or some such, but the car can be driven.

I'm curious what the definition of "significant" is. I have a touchscreen that goes bonkers periodically. Is that significant? It's not something I can accept in the long term, unlike the wimpy visors or some such, but the car can be driven.

Everyone's definition is different of course. If it is glitchy software behavior but you can still access things like AC, radio and Nav and drive the car and all other safety related things are fine then it's likely minor assuming it gets fixed soon. Not being able to drive the car is obviously a bigger deal.

Swegman,

Kudos to you for your ultimate patience in this situation. You will be rewarded many times over when your car finally comes to you.

For those for whom this thread is causing some reservation concerns: This car is literally incredible. I haven't been to a gas station in 3 months. It's powerful, quiet, and an incredibly fun machine to drive.

Model S's have probably logged over 15 MILLION gas-free miles. This forum is a microcosm of the overall user base. As others have posted, the threads here are homes primarily for people having issues. People don't typically post when they haven't had problems. Keep that in mind. Over 15 million miles, 7000 cars, and just a handful of people with major issues with the car. They will fix those issues, and the car will perform well after that.

There do not appear to be systematic problems with the drivetrain design. That is an important thing to recognize.

Todd, I agree with you 100% about blowing a few incidents out of proportion. Many years ago I had a truck "A" on order. After a few internet searches I saw some issues that frightened me so I cancelled truck A and bought truck B. After 3 troublesome years of truck B, I sold it and went back and bought truck A afterall. And so far, 7 years later truck A has been flawless. Sometimes you need to be really careful about internet posts. Ouch! When my wife was diagnosed with AML leukemia, we hopped on google; thought she'd be dead in weeks. That was 5 years ago, she's doing awesome and she can't wait for our Model S to arrive!

If the car is going back to Fremont for analysis, does swegman get a new vehicle???
If they truly nail down the issue, then they likely will give the current vehicle back (that way the car comes with all the current configurations). If they don't, then I guess it's possible for a new vehicle, but it seems more likely that they will swap out all the related components and give the car back. This depends on how easy (cost, time, any possible disruption to the assembly process, etc) it is for the factory to churn out a car with the exact configuration as the previous one.

I am the exact same way. My wife has come to the understanding that when we go anywhere we are taking my car. She thinks it is so I can "show it off" but it is quite the opposite. I just love driving it and being in her ICE just makes me sad. I have owned a lot of "fun to drive cars" but none of them come close to comparing to the experience in the Model S. This is the only car that, for me, doesn't have any quirks that I have to ignore or drive around. It is a truely rewarding driving experience.

FYI - My car has been perfect in every way since I took delivery.

swegman - I hope your car comes back to you soon and good luck to you sir.

+1. look on any brand name product forum, from bandaid to subzero... there are little problems naturally. and a few big ones. but you're only sampling from the people with problems. this car is fantastic. top to bottom. no problems here from day one. love. it.

+2. My wife and I both love this car.

My wife is very frugal and she'd still go out of her way to save a $1 here or there, so for her to be positive about a >$100k purchase is quite something. But while she was driving earlier tonight she told me: "I LOVE this car, we're never buying anything other than a Tesla ever again!".

It is the ultimate driving machine. (Coming from someone whose first car was a BMW 850i, owned/family-owned an M5, 540 and 733 over the years, and performance-trained on an M3. I'd never thought in my wild dreams I'd ever spend more than $50k on a car that wasn't a BMW. Now I can't imagine ever going back.)

And it's not because our particular Tesla was perfect either. We had some glitches with the GPS, and door handles not receding, both luckily were fixable with a reboot.

But in the end you can ignore all the various displays - you get used to it and it becomes utilitarian. The massive amount of interior & storage space will just be something that's there. I'm sure the fabulous finishing will grow old. But the feeling that you get when you're behind the wheel, when the instant torque is so responsive that you feel like the car is directly connected to your mind, when the active suspension lowers on the highway and the car sits in the corners like it was born there - that feeling doesn't go way.

But the feeling that you get when you're behind the wheel, when the instant torque is so responsive that you feel like the car is directly connected to your mind, when the active suspension lowers on the highway and the car sits in the corners like it was born there - that feeling doesn't go way.

well put. it's an organic driving experience. one that is unique in the industry, regardless of price-tag.

that is ultimately why I chose the P85 Model S over the new 911 Carrera (my goal dream-car since i was a kid). The 911 is just a better version of what I've been driving for the past 20 years (BMW's, Lexus's). The Tesla is a flat-out different driving experience, delivering better performance to boot.

Still blows my mind that this car is here, and that it's the first (real) car from a little Silicon start-up. The other day I was imagining what Tesla could do building a dedicated sports car (coupe) maybe 6-8 years from now at, say, a $150k price-point. It will be other-worldly. The future is very bright.

These are serious problems, and occur more often than I'd like to see. However, can you imagine if GM or Ford (or even Toyota) had a similar problem that someone from senior management would call, or that the factory would analyze the car? Plus, the CEO of Nissan never dropped by the Infiniti dealership to thank me for buying one of their cars (ok, that's not why Elon was at the store, but he did thank me...and I only ordered a 60kwh!).