Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
swegman is a high roller -- so far he is at $1000 per mile driven:D -- private jet kind of numbers, which I suppose the P85 is.

Looks like they are on to a bit of a pattern here, ?including what they find with digitaltim...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I want to note again that I have no complaints with the Rockville (MD) Service Center. I just want my car back to drive. I have been without it for a week now.

We feel your pain Swegman, and I hope that this allows Tesla to prevent this from happening on other cars down the line.

Personally I can relate, as I am smack in the middle of a week without my two-month old car, as it undergoes a paint correction/detail and reinstallation of paint armor (including full hood this time) to address scratches and issues present upon delivery (during the Dec 2012 mad rush). I am of course very grateful to Tesla for graciously performing these corrections, but it is SOOOOOOO hard to drive my ICE car while I wait for the Tesla's return. I swear the BMW engine sounds like rocks being ground together after the Tesla silence. And of course, the weather is warm and sunny for pretty much the first time since I got the car!

The connectors do not appear to have been the problem. They have now ordered a new high voltage junction box to replace the one in the car. Anyone know what this part is and what it does?
According to page 7 of the Model S emergency response guide:
A High Voltage Junction Box, located between the chargers, routes any surplus energy from regenerative braking back to the battery.
http://www.evsafetytraining.org/Res...ctric Vehicle/Files/PDFs/Tesla_ModelS_ERG.PDF

I picked up my Blue loaded 85 today from Westchester Mall and drove home to my home on Long Island. Plugged it at home with 170 miles left and similar problem to Swegman. Car basically went to sleep. Ranger came and woke it up for a minute and then back to sleep. Very disappointed as Ranger told me that they cant come to get it until Monday morning. Really hard to spend over $100,000 and have this happen. After reading this thread, I'm preparing for long haul. I hoped it might be a quick fix.....

My car had similar set of symptoms but never wakes up without a hard reboot of center console by pulling the fuse. It then immediately shuts down.

Tesla flatbed towed it to the Rockville service center where they will replace the main battery.

I'll let you know the outcome - next report out will be on Monday.

Digitaltim, I think I was at the service center when your car was brought in. Is it a signature red with 19 inch wheels and a license plate starting with "F" (if I remember correctly)?

I'm still without the car but hoping to get it back today.

Digitaltim, I think I was at the service center when your car was brought in. Is it a signature red with 19 inch wheels and a license plate starting with "F" (if I remember correctly)?

I'm still without the car but hoping to get it back today.

My plate is EIRE4VR - I am sure that was mine. I do have 19" wheels on right now - 21" will go back on soon.

I asked them to detail the car and do full hood paint armor while it is there.

Fingers crossed your issue gets resolved soon!!!

Just got home from picking up the car. Hope it is fixed. Time will tell.

AWESOME! You are a patient man and I know Tesla appreciates it. What a frustrating PITA it must've been. I'm so happy you have it back and I hope it's all good now and you can enjoy the car. :-D

- - - Updated - - -

My car had similar set of symptoms but never wakes up without a hard reboot of center console by pulling the fuse. It then immediately shuts down.

Tesla flatbed towed it to the Rockville service center where they will replace the main battery.

I'll let you know the outcome - next report out will be on Monday.

Yowza, please do keep us posted. I'm very sorry to hear this and I hope it has a quicker resolution--hopefully it will, if it is actually the same issue as swegman's!