Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
swegman. My sympathies go out to you. Hopefully, Tesla will identify and resolve the issue for good. Am certain they are doing their best.

Being on the cutting edge, we have inherent risks that will undoubtedly surface in various forms for some time. I’ve only taken my vehicle out 4 times after having taken delivery 2 weeks ago. Should drive it more often to shake out any potential problems. Already have a few that will require looking at. They are however, minor compared to having the vehicle in perpetual “sleep mode”. The aggregate of these reported problems will result in better vehicles down the road. Best of luck.

Which might have the exact same problem, since they have yet to identify it.

Well of course thats possible. But there are presumably many cars that don't. So, the chances are it won't. The chances that a new car will have this problem is (hopefully) less than the chances his "fixed" car will again have the problem.

Also, this gives Tesla the luxury of more time/less pressure (from the consumer at least) to find, diagnose, and fix the problem.

Also, this gives Tesla the luxury of more time/less pressure (from the consumer at least) to find, diagnose, and fix the problem.

This.

And, at this point, swegman has more than earned a full replacement of the entire car or atleast the battery pack - if that could help solve the problem and could atleast be worth trying - which digitaltim's getting.

Even if it cannot be justified from a technical or monetary point of view by Tesla, it'll be the right PR move and just the right thing to do.

So who's car should they give him? And since there are other cars that seem to be experiencing the same thing who's cars do they get? And if it's a systemic problem with a batch of new parts then what? Tesla is in no position to be handing out cars at this point.

So who's car should they give him? And since there are other cars that seem to be experiencing the same thing who's cars do they get? And if it's a systemic problem with a batch of new parts then what? Tesla is in no position to be handing out cars at this point.

I share your unease. Tesla had to take the car back at this point, which is good to contain the situation somewhat, but it also shows that they don't know what's wrong with it... Until they do, we are all in the same boat as swegman and the others on this growing list (ie both new owners, soon-to-be-owners, and longterm owners)-- we might as well delete all posts after his first one here, because that's where we're at.

Having said that, I've observed them to be doing everything that one could ask for in the past few days. I can tell many here are on edge about this little powderkeg of a situation and we can only wait and hope that some really bright people at Tesla can find a fix sooner than later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Tesla is in no position to be handing out cars at this point.

Handing out cars?!? I could have sworn swegman gave them $100,000. They owe him a car that works, which is apparently not this one. Since they don't know how to fix this one, get him another one. Rather simple, really...

aside from that, it's in their financial best interest just to avoid this becoming a PR nightmare.

i just don't get your logic at all...

I completely agree with Kinddog. If this situation is not resolved soon, Tesla could be in the situation of replacing this car anyway or returning swegman's money. If more time passes this will cease being a case of what the company can do and cross over to what they are required to do. It seems to me, they should just take the bull by the horns before every drop of swegman's patience has been exhausted and NY Times has a new more accurate story to write about.

A reasonable period of time (defined differently by each state's lemon laws) needs to be given to the manufacturer to remedy the problem. I'd say that if they can't completely and satisfactorally fix the problem this time, then the discussion of refund vs replacement needs to happen. We're all glad this isn't us that it's happening to, but no car company is perfect and there are lemons built and sold every day. Tesla needs to find and fix this problem promptly or offer alternatives. As they typically have in the past, I think Tesla will make this right for the OP in the end. But it's premature to be calling for a new car.

In CA, the manufacturer gets three attempts or 30 days. I am not sure what the law is in swegman's state. But this would classify as the third attempt since he took possession and now they are getting it back. That is why my thought is Tesla should act before it gets into a situation where their hand is forced.

Keep in my swegman has also being waiting on a refund for a reservation he cancelled for a couple months now. So it is not hard to imagine he would be at the end of his rope.

Lemon laws are in place to force companies to do something. I don't think Tesla wants to be viewed as a company that has to be forced to do the right thing.

Really, I completely agree with kind dog on this one. Not replacing or loaning him one as soon as s reasonably possible will only serve to hurt the company in any ways. The NYT fiasco cost $100M? This could be much more if not handled correctly. That elon, george and Joost all were involved shows they understand that. And since its still not resolved, I suspect they will do even more now.

- - - Updated - - -

Which might have the exact same problem if it's a component issue. It's been 10 days since this issue showed up.

If the is n issue affecting every car coming off the line, then they've got bigger issues. I'm still assuming that the yield rate of good cars coming off the line is well above 99%. If not, again, that's a much larger issue.

Since they don't know the source of the problem yet they may indeed have a larger issue. The point is that without knowledge it's premature to act.

I'm assuming that Tesla has enough confidence in their product to think any given car coming off the line and testing is 'good'. Thus it can only help everyone to get him a new one. Otherwise, if they don't feel that, they better stop the line.