Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not replacing or loaning him one as soon as s reasonably possible will only serve to hurt the company in any ways. The NYT fiasco cost $100M? This could be much more if not handled correctly.
Perhaps your phrasing connected the dots for me, so I'll give you credit for it. :)

@Tesla - This is the perfect use for the Broder test vehicle. Use it as a loaner for people like swegman while their vehicles are diagnosed and corrected.

Joost de Vries called and discussed the situation with me.
(...etc.)

Understood and thanks, man! I'm very happy that they took this so seriously, as demonstrated by the high-level contact.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderator, Can you please change the title of this tread back to "Car dies after 2 days" or perhaps "Car dies after two days, is "repaired", but dies again".

Bad news. Picked up the car from the Rockville Service Center Saturday evening. Drove the car home and around town. Around 11 pm I put the car in the garage and connected the charger. Around 2 am Sunday morning I tried to connect to the car with the iphone app to check the charging status, but was unable to do so. Went to the garage this morning around 9:30 am and the car is asleep again and will not wake up.

I contacted the Tesla 877 telephone number and they told me they received the same error message that they have received from my car in the past. They have notified Joost and Lenny (Rockville Service Center manager) via email to contact me. I also sent emails to Lenny, Joost, Elon's office and George's office.

Not happy.

Crap, I should read the entire thread before replying. ;-( Very sorry to hear this!

- - - Updated - - -

In CA, the manufacturer gets three attempts or 30 days. I am not sure what the law is in swegman's state. But this would classify as the third attempt since he took possession and now they are getting it back. That is why my thought is Tesla should act before it gets into a situation where their hand is forced.

Did I miss something? It sounded like the 2nd attempt. Anyway I quoted an excerpt of how this works in Maryland, upthread. I forget if I linked to it--I meant to but maybe I forgot (but Google Is Your Friend, anyone who's curious).

Problem is if they do it for him there will be others expecting and demanding the same. Which may not be possible.
If people don't understand the concept of "limited availability" after waiting in the reservation line for a Model S, they're probably not worth having as customers. Not because you don't want customers, but because they are from the shallow end of the gene pool and will cause you endless hassle outweighing their value as customers.

This is going to turn into a "very big deal" very quickly, mark my words. I'm not saying that it should, but given the visibility that Tesla is getting from the journalistic community, this story will take off like a SpaceX rocket. Cars running out of battery juice because of an incompetent journalist is one thing, and that was easily refuted by Tesla. Car(s) dropping dead is another level of magnitude entirely.

RT

It will only turn into a big deal if people insist on making it into one (like your post). Since the OP didn't react the way you are & the OP presumably knows more about the situation than the rest of us, I'm going to take my cue from him.

"Mark my words" is getting a bit dramatic.

Dead on day 2 Continuation

This thread was closed without warning, apparently because the OP was concerned that it would spiral into negativity (as other threads here have). However, I disagree with the decision to close the thread because there are several important issues that need to be fully fleshed out, not the least of which is what the actual problem is/was and how it was resolved.

Now, I'm not opening this thread to spite the mods nor am I wanting to open up things for a let's bash Tesla and everyone should get a new car for the smallest problem thread. But I'd like to hear speculation on the cause of the problem and I'd like for swegman to provide details (as much as he's permitted to do so) about the cause of the problem and how (in a technical fashion) it was resolved.

My two cents:

Manufacturing issues happen. The goal is of course to eliminate them, but they're going to happen with a new product off a new line. I think the key here is that this doesn't seem to be a design defect, but more like a bad batch of components. Otherwise, we'd be seeing many of of these cases.

It seems likely that a Tesla supplier provided some bad components. They're working to resolve the issue. As someone whose fairly new Model S spent two weeks (non-consecutive) in the shop under investigation of a completely random inverter fault, I know how the OP must be feeling. Tesla replaced the inverter, and my car's been rock solid ever since. Tesla took my old inverter for engineering investigation, and it is perhaps improving future cars.

Yes, we should hear the problem/resolution. We should hear the story of sweg finally getting his car and loving it. But spinning the story into "Tesla Doom" just creates unnecessary drama. The reality is that every car company rolls out cars that have issues. And yes, some of them end up dying in their very first days of service. It sucks to be sweg right now, but let's all try to stay level-headed and realistic.

Manufacturing issues happen. The goal is of course to eliminate them, but they're going to happen with a new product off a new line. I think the key here is that this doesn't seem to be a design defect, but more like a bad batch of components. Otherwise, we'd be seeing many of of these cases.

Yes, we should hear the problem/resolution. We should hear the story of sweg finally getting his car and loving it. But spinning the story into "Tesla Doom" just creates unnecessary drama. The reality is that every car company rolls out cars that have issues.

I'd like to add that once Tesla is able to isolate the cause of the problem, and determine if there is any pattern, they should be able to figure out which cars were possibly affected by out-of-specification components. A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) or even a recall (if there is a safety issue) by VIN range is sometimes the result of these investigations. It happens all the time, even with manufacturers like Honda and Toyota, who have longstanding reputations for high quality.

To sweg and anyone else with a sleeping beauty version of the MS, it truly sucks and reading these posts makes knots in my stomach. I ordered in P85 in multi-coat red, so I haven't received my car yet...and I hope the issues are resolved soon, for we are all in this brave new world together. The next time I feel the need to be an early adopter, I think it will be for some new fangled kind of piano, anything that won't leave me wondering if I will be stranded miles from home.

As one whose S was found 'dead' one morning I can relate to this. Luckily I was able to play around with the steering wheel buttons and provoke reboots of the 2 screens, actually multiple reboots as I had forgotten the exact sequence of button pushing. No matter, eventually the owner can get the reboots done on a good car. Swegman's car has something bad, maybe just a capacitor on one of the boards. But finding that board/module is not the easiest thing to do out in a field shop. Just have to keep replacing module after module until it is solved. Sorry they didn't give the 'repaired' car at least 2 overnight cycles just to be sure. Rushing it back to the owner not such a good idea. Swegman, hang in there!!
--

Recently got my model s 85 non perf. Only drove it for 2 days. Just went down to my car and handles would not auto present. Unlocked using key went in everything was dark. Tesla is coming to take car away, they tried to remotely diagnose and all they could tell me was that car went to sleep with an error code (what ever that means). So it seems Swegman is not alone. My symptoms are identical to Swegman's, also my VIN 5952 is very close to his. This is really shi**y

Separation Anxiety

Peksman - Sorry to hear that. That was a short honeymoon, and although all marriages move past the honeymoon to deeper stages, you sure want the honeymoon to last as long as it can. I hope you'll get a permanent and quick fix soon.

Upon waking up today at 530 AM, I checked my Tesla iPhone app to see if I could connect to my MS 60. What a surprise! There she was on the app locator. She is fully charged sitting in one of the parking bay behind the Menlo Park service center.

I did get a call from Brian the service supervisor yesterday afternoon to get me updated and to apologize for the weekend mishap.

I hope to get a call today to find out what caused my MS 60 to go dark! A quick fix may restore my confidence in my MS 60.