TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Switching 21" to 19", need to calibrate the Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Drumheller, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

I switched from the staggered 21" wheels to 19" wheels a few months ago. I would think that would result in my speedometer and odometer being off by 2 or 3%. When I asked about it previously, I was told not to worry about it as they are very close in final size (total circumference). However, when I hold the 21" up next to the 19" on the car, there is an obvious visual difference.

Did anyone have Tesla change a setting in the car so the car now calculates with 19" tires? I've already driven about 6,000 miles on the new tires. If it is off by about 2-3%, then I have 120 to 180 extra miles showing on the odometer that were not actually driven.

Thanks for the help! Perhaps I'm over-thinking this or making a mistake with my math.

2. linkster

linkster Member

Yup, you're over thinking this. :) If you compare your 21 fronts to your 19s they are ~.1" diameter of each other and within a few revs/mi.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Also, when you reset the TPMS system, it should have asked you if you have 19" or 21" wheels. That's all you need to do.

So one tire is on the car supporting the weight of the car, and the other is off the car? Yes, they will look like they have a different diameter. But as linkster said, they should be almost identical outside diameter and revs/mile with the tires on them.

• Informative x 1
  4. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

Thank you, both! I'll reset the TPMS again to see if I have it configured properly to 19". I have the aftermarket TSportline 19" wheels. Also, I have the older version of TPMS.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

So do I! And I switch between the 21" Turbines and the 19" TSTs every summer/winter. Haven't had any problems.

• Like x 1
  6. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

Glad to hear it! Thank you! :)