Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching 21" to 19", need to calibrate the Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drumheller

Jan 20, 2016
Arizona
I switched from the staggered 21" wheels to 19" wheels a few months ago. I would think that would result in my speedometer and odometer being off by 2 or 3%. When I asked about it previously, I was told not to worry about it as they are very close in final size (total circumference). However, when I hold the 21" up next to the 19" on the car, there is an obvious visual difference.

Did anyone have Tesla change a setting in the car so the car now calculates with 19" tires? I've already driven about 6,000 miles on the new tires. If it is off by about 2-3%, then I have 120 to 180 extra miles showing on the odometer that were not actually driven.

Thanks for the help! Perhaps I'm over-thinking this or making a mistake with my math.

Also, when you reset the TPMS system, it should have asked you if you have 19" or 21" wheels. That's all you need to do.

However, when I hold the 21" up next to the 19" on the car, there is an obvious visual difference.

So one tire is on the car supporting the weight of the car, and the other is off the car? Yes, they will look like they have a different diameter. But as linkster said, they should be almost identical outside diameter and revs/mile with the tires on them.

• Informative
Reactions: Drumheller