Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from BMW X7 to CyberTruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Just to round this out about the Tesla “tech” they fall short compared to other driver assistance tech from Legacy automakers including BMW

Lol.
In “Reality”, that CR review essentially dropped Tesla off the list, because they believe Autopilot hasn’t changed since it came out…. Lol.
They also said Tesla, as well as others didn’t rank well, because they don’t have collaborative steering.
That feature is nice for sure, but Tesla has so much more tech going for it, they they don’t want to include.
No mention that Tesla also works on city streets, not JUST highways. :)

It’s also well known that Consumer Reports is biased. Unlike any “Unbiased” review I’ve ever seen or read, they will always feel Tesla is inferior. They will find a reason to not put them on top.

The first time around, in 2020, they rated Tesla second, not because the system wasn’t better, but because it didn’t monitor the eyes of the driver, only the steering wheel.
Their review in my eyes is useless. As is any review with obvious bias.

Test drive these systems, and make your own unbiased decision. :)

Lol.
In “Reality”, that CR review essentially dropped Tesla off the list, because they believe Autopilot hasn’t changed since it came out…. Lol.
They also said Tesla, as well as others didn’t rank well, because they don’t have collaborative steering.
That feature is nice for sure, but Tesla has so much more tech going for it, they they don’t want to include.
No mention that Tesla also works on city streets, not JUST highways. :)

It’s also well known that Consumer Reports is biased. Unlike any “Unbiased” review I’ve ever seen or read, they will always feel Tesla is inferior. They will find a reason to not put them on top.

The first time around, in 2020, they rated Tesla second, not because the system wasn’t better, but because it didn’t monitor the eyes of the driver, only the steering wheel.
Their review in my eyes is useless. As is any review with obvious bias.

Test drive these systems, and make your own unbiased decision. :)

I can buy a Tesla and drive on Autopilot on city streets now?

As far as “bias” anything that is ever said against Tesla has always been regarded as “bias” Tesla is the perfect car which is why Musk keeps taking features away and we just keep coming up with excuses on how it became “better” 🙄

CR gave Tesla a 9/10 in performance, they got dinged on other things that brought their score down, not to mention the lack is sensors now, but that’s just “bias”

I can buy a Tesla and drive on Autopilot on city streets now?

As far as “bias” anything that is ever said against Tesla has always been regarded as “bias” Tesla is the perfect car which is why Musk keeps taking features away and we just keep coming up with excuses on how it became “better” 🙄

CR gave Tesla a 9/10 in performance, they got dinged on other things that brought their score down, not to mention the lack is sensors now, but that’s just “bias”
This:
Ah. The same old exaggerated go to that is so old now. (Your quote): “Anything that is said against Tesla is always regarded as a bias”. Hyperbole at its finest. ..

That wasn’t stated, that wasn’t implied in general. That is however what you stated. Thus hyperbole.
Exaggerations, hyperbole, it’s why there is no grey areas anymore in these discussions.
I did state CR is biased. (Which is true).
It wouldn’t matter what Tesla did, or how they performed, CR would find a why to drop them on the list. :)
Realistically, I don’t know where they would sit on the list if this was an unbiased review. Who knows.

What technology if any does Tesla offer other than self-driving? Sorry not trying to be sarcastic, but really what technology are we talking about compared to other highend luxury brands?

Other than FSD, I feel that both BMWs I have have more tech around me in the interior than Tesla. What am I missing?
Speaking of technology, technically speaking, I don't think BMW can offer much more than a Camry or Accord do these days.

I don't think you can see the car surroundings on your phone from anywhere with any car other than Tesla. And with no other car you will get that feature for free 4 years into the ownership. ... but in some cars you can get a bill if you want to warm your butt in winter. ;)

Reactions: M109Rider
Speaking of technology, technically speaking, I don't think BMW can offer much more than a Camry or Accord do these days.

I don't think you can see the car surroundings on your phone from anywhere with any car other than Tesla. And with no other car you will get that feature for free 4 years into the ownership. ... but in some cars you can get a bill if you want to warm your butt in winter. ;)
You are wrong. In both my BMWs, I can check the surrounding from my phone app (maybe not a video, but immediate live photos) that are also put in a 3D 360 surround view for me, plus individual photos from all 4 camera whenever I want.
It sounds all people agree that Tesla is an inferior product except Tesla owners themselves. Based on the extensive research I have done, Tesla truly lacks a ton of features and tech and is so over-prices for what it offers.
Saying that BMW offers the tech that Camry or Accord offers is silly, because Accord right now has way more technology that Tesla itself, wherease BMW probably offers at least 10 features that I daily-use that Tesla never had. I would not call a fancy screen in the middle with a bunch of options to open doors or windows as an advanced technology. Meanwhile my BMW responds to my hands making waves to adjsut volume, take phone calls, or change music. Plus it gives my butt a massage whenever needed, shows me true colorful HUD on the window including maps on HUD!, I really don’t know what Tesla has to offer while it’s self-driving is becoming now the norm with other brands catching up with hands-free highway assist (including now BMW in 2023 and 2024 for 7-series and X7).

• Disagree
Reactions: Hank42 and alexgr
I would not compare a BMW x7 to a Tesla, especially the CTruck. I came from a 2020 BMW x7 and know the tech well. I currently own a 2022 MYP. The tech is very different and both vehicles do things well but when it comes to luxury, ride and comfort the x7 definitively wins hands down. There are tech features both vehicles could exchange to make each better. I don’t consider MYP a luxury vehicle. I thought I would miss the x7 but don’t.

Reactions: alexgr
I would not compare a BMW x7 to a Tesla, especially the CTruck. I came from a 2020 BMW x7 and know the tech well. I currently own a 2022 MYP. The tech is very different and both vehicles do things well but when it comes to luxury, ride and comfort the x7 definitively wins hands down. There are tech features both vehicles could exchange to make each better. I don’t consider MYP a luxury vehicle. I thought I would miss the x7 but don’t.
Thank you. This particular response, specifically from an X7 BMW user switching to Tesla, gives me the feedback that is mostly relevant to my original post. If the Ride and Comfort is superior in the BMW X7. I guess there is no reason whatsodver for me to switch to Tesla. Ride and Comfort are the two most important feature to me in any car I buy. I can not compromise on those two key features for anything else, not to mention when it all comes with superior luxury.

Keep in mind I’m comparing an x7 to a MYP, not even in the same class of vehicle. I cannot speak for a Tesla S or X and would not rule either out. I cannot speak for the ride and comfort for these since I have no experience with either.

Keep in mind I’m comparing an x7 to a MYP, not even in the same class of vehicle. I cannot speak for a Tesla S or X. I would not rule out an S or X though. I cannot tell you about the ride and comfort for these since I have no experience with either.
I had the X for a ride, it was really bad (I mean, bad compared to whatever baseline I have in mind). I was just hopping that the CyberTruck is going to offer something different based in any leaks or rumors that the members might be aware of.

Ride and Comfort are the two most important feature to me in any car I buy. I can not compromise on those two key features for anything else, not to mention when it all comes with superior luxury.
I am kind of suspicious... have you actually ... anyway ... IMHO, and based on the opinion of plenty, BMW is behind on luxury and comfort and (now) ride compared to MB and Porsche.

And no, no one I know considered a truck (any truck) or Tesla (any Tesla) as a pinnacle of luxury and comfort.

It’s a truck not a luxury SUV.
ABSOLUTELY agree!

I think pretty much everyone here said this one way or another, but the OP took it as a confirmation that "Tesla is an inferior product" and that somehow only Tesla owners won't admit it.

I strongly believe that X7 is an anomaly amongst BMW family introduced to try help failing BMW US sales. Generally, normal BMWs are pretty harsh to ride, and it would puzzle me why anyone prioritizing luxurious ride is even looking at BMWs.

Speaking of BMW tech, did you find gesture controls practically usable? I think Tesla can add them rather easily if needed.

Last edited:
The reason I was anxious to ask about the CyberTruck is because I need the space the it me offer (i.e.: 4 in the back? And maybe 3 front)… and at the same time I read some articles about the air-ride being different in the CyberTruck. I know I am going to lose a couple features when switching from BMW X7 to nearly any other SUV, but was just wondering about the ride comfort and quality. Luxury is important, but I can let go some luxury elements as long as the drive comfort and quality is the same. Some had made a comment about ride in Tesla not being as good as BMW and that made me question my intention of getting the CT. I know it looks like a truck than an SUV, but I envision it would ride more like an SUV? Maybe am wrong.

The reason I was anxious to ask about the CyberTruck is because I need the space the it me offer (i.e.: 4 in the back? And maybe 3 front)… and at the same time I read some articles about the air-ride being different in the CyberTruck. I know I am going to lose a couple features when switching from BMW X7 to nearly any other SUV, but was just wondering about the ride comfort and quality. Luxury is important, but I can let go some luxury elements as long as the drive comfort and quality is the same. Some had made a comment about ride in Tesla not being as good as BMW and that made me question my intention of getting the CT. I know it looks like a truck than an SUV, but I envision it would ride more like an SUV? Maybe am wrong.

Go test drive a Model S and it should give you an idea about comfort. Sit in a model 3 and it should give you and idea about interior feel, except the CT will be cheaper feeling inside with half a steering wheel and rock hard he’s seats from the looks of it.

Maybe Rivian is more for you. It’s plenty luxurious.

Reactions: Hank42 and alexgr