Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from BMW X7 to CyberTruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well OP, you are pretty lucky. Looks like you should go get that X7, the Cybertruck won't be here until 2026 or 2027..... lol

You might be able to pre-order your 2nd Gen Lightning, a from the ground up EV Truck, should be spectacular

• Funny
Reactions: jerome8283
I test drove a Model X and Model S back to back today, and I walked away very disappointed, albeit not surprised, about the still poor build quality of these $100k+ vehicles. Creaks and rattles galore on both, the Falcon wing was broken on the drivers side of the X, and both vehicles still feel very poorly made. Not just in comparison to X5/X7, but also in comparison to my 12 year old Toyota SUV.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I test drove a Model X and Model S back to back today, and I walked away very disappointed, albeit not surprised, about the still poor build quality of these $100k+ vehicles. Creaks and rattles galore on both, the Falcon wing was broken on the drivers side of the X, and both vehicles still feel very poorly made. Not just in comparison to X5/X7, but also in comparison to my 12 year old Toyota SUV.
You felt the luxury of your X5/X7 was better, and you confirmed it.
You then pushed the narrative that the tech was just as good. Your opinion. No problem.
Now you’re pushing the build quality and creaks are terrible, compared to a 12 year old Toyota. :)
I guess you find what you’re looking to prove.
I suppose the cars you were test driving creaked. We can’t confirm that. :)
So are you done yet. ?
What the plan. :)

Reactions: alexgr
You felt the luxury of your X5/X7 was better, and you confirmed it.
You then pushed the narrative that the tech was just as good. Your opinion. No problem.
Now you’re pushing the build quality and creaks are terrible, compared to a 12 year old Toyota. :)
I guess you find what you’re looking to prove.
I suppose the cars you were test driving creaked. We can’t confirm that. :)
So are you done yet. ?
What the plan. :)
Sorry it was not my intention to come and pick on anyone’s preferred brand if my comments did hurt anyone’s feelings. I was really just starting my research, but I had the entire week off and truly spent hours of research, reading online, posting on forums and even drove 3 hours to drive multiple Tesla. It was a full-time task tracking the BMW vs Tesla stuff so I can decide.
My conclusion was just personal opinion but I know I apparently came to a conclusion that not many on this forum at least would agree with.
I am truly a tech fan and really was curious and excited to try the Tesla ownership, but based on everything I am seeing, am not that excited or at least I was searching for things to entice me in but the opposite is happening.
I would like to stay optimistic and will keep my reservation for the CyberTruck hopping that it would at least ride better and have better build quality with no more squeaks. There is nothing I can do other than waiting and see how things will progress with Tesla

Sorry it was not my intention to come and pick on anyone’s preferred brand if my comments did hurt anyone’s feelings. I was really just starting my research, but I had the entire week off and truly spent hours of research, reading online, posting on forums and even drove 3 hours to drive multiple Tesla. It was a full-time task tracking the BMW vs Tesla stuff so I can decide.
My conclusion was just personal opinion but I know I apparently came to a conclusion that not many on this forum at least would agree with.
I am truly a tech fan and really was curious and excited to try the Tesla ownership, but based on everything I am seeing, am not that excited or at least I was searching for things to entice me in but the opposite is happening.
I would like to stay optimistic and will keep my reservation for the CyberTruck hopping that it would at least ride better and have better build quality with no more squeaks. There is nothing I can do other than waiting and see how things will progress with Tesla
So, you have all your questions answered I believe.

I appreciate this thread as some real BMW owners here provided interesting info about the brand. With that, I find no point even trying any BMW as it certainly does not suite my needs.

Reactions: CTruck_BMW
You didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings. :)
You may want that to be an underlying side effect.
I think many here started out genuinely helping you to decide, based on good and bad for each brand. I think the feedback you received was very honest and balanced.
When you started down a different path that seemed almost predetermined or deliberate, I think you then lost a few people, since we’ve seen that as trolling here so often. To each their own. We all have hobbies.
Since most don’t have time for that, you may have felt people bailing on your predetermined path or narrative as having hurt feelings. Again, we often find what they’re looking for, or want to see right. :)

You didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings. :)
You may want that to be an underlying side effect.
I think many here started out genuinely helping you to decide, based on good and bad for each brand. I think the feedback you received was very honest and balanced.
When you started down a different path that seemed almost predetermined or deliberate, I think you then lost a few people, since we’ve seen that as trolling here so often. To each their own. We all have hobbies.
Since most don’t have time for that, you may have felt people bailing on your predetermined path or narrative as having hurt feelings. Again, we often find what they’re looking for, or want to see right. :)

I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps my current conclusions are only valid when comparing the X7 or other high-end vehicles to the Model S and X. Surely they are different and for whatever reason I failed to find the value in switching now. However, I remain excited and optimistic about the CyberTruck. I still have my deposit, and I am a fan. I am well aware of how emotionally driven people can be on forums, but I try to keep that behind me as my goal by visiting forums like this is either to 1. Learn and find answers, 2. Share knowledge/feedback. Making friends or cheering people up is good, but it’s no a priority though I try to stay as respectful as one can be.

I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps my current conclusions are only valid when comparing the X7 or other high-end vehicles to the Model S and X. Surely they are different and for whatever reason I failed to find the value in switching now. However, I remain excited and optimistic about the CyberTruck. I still have my deposit, and I am a fan. I am well aware of how emotionally driven people can be on forums, but I try to keep that behind me as my goal by visiting forums like this is either to 1. Learn and find answers, 2. Share knowledge/feedback. Making friends or cheering people up is good, but it’s no a priority though I try to stay as respectful as one can be.

If you weren’t impressed with the S or X you won’t be impressed with the Cybertruck……

OP has a point. The high end luxury European offerings are beautifully put together. Fit and finish is superior to the average Tesla build.
They often tend to drive quieter, as they have about 500 lbs of sound deadning material installed.

Downside is that they tend to be heavier than Tesla, more expensive, less efficient, slower to charge and have poor on road high speed charging infrastructure. The better ones tend to have high dealer market pricing adjustments (rip off pricing) and worse depreciation.

A new Model X has great value, starting at $79,990, minus tax credit of $7,500 and in California -$2,000 clean car rebate. They also qualify for Section 179 and accelerated depreciation if you have a profitable small business, making them often less expensive that a Model 3.

I do not know anyone, other than the actual car owner, that give a *sugar* about someone elses fit and finish. They simply get in and enjoy the ride to where ever they are going.

When new, my Falcon Wing doors did not fit flush. In about 4 months, the seals broke in and now they fit perfectly. Glad I did not cancel my delivery, and my experience with the car has been life altering.

Chiming in here about ride quality .
I have a 2022 MYPerf on larger 295/275 setup and lowered psi to 38/39.

I recently drove my home contractors new 2023 Dodge Ram full cab pick up for a day.
The ride was smooth, engine quiet, luxury abound.

When I got back into my MYP at the end of the day and driving 350-400km all day running errands, I was shocked.

My Y drove like ‘a-s’. Road and wind noise were brutal, more rattles, suspension was already bad but this time it was brutal and jarring over bumps that the truck had absorbed with ease.

I really hope the Cybertruck suspension, sound dampening and overall ride comfort improves dramatically over the 3/Y experience. If not: it will not sway a lot of people away from their current rides. Especially contractors who expect a level of ride comfort and luxury these days!

I do hope Tesla learns from all the feedback over the years!

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I never had an X7, but I did have a 750LI's. I switched then to a Tesla S and loved it, now in the CT which I like better than the S.
I had a 7 series, 5 series and most recently the X7 and new Mbenz S-class. I got the Model S and no doubt the best among all of them.. no regret whatsoever. I am the original OP of this thread by the way.

Despite that some people have warned me, I pulled the triggered, and I love my S. What a car once I dialed in the suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and Yelobird
OP: It's clear to me at least, that the MB EQS or Rivian SUV are a better all around fit for your person capacity as well as luxury requirements. I could not imagine a car that is a bigger mismatch for you than the CT.
I ended up buying the Model S and I am loving it. I still have a pre-order on the CT from last year though but I might just cancel it as I don't see myself ever considering it but I will just keep my order on the line for now anyway.

Reactions: Hank42