Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from Jeep Grand Cherokee to Model Y Performance - Ground clearance issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are in the right place. I’ve got both a 16 jcg overland and a 20 myp.

the clearance is low in the myp but I’ve never taken it in snow. If you think myp can tow 3600 be careful. In winter it wouldn’t make 100 miles unless you went 35 mph.

I love the myp and it makes everything pale in comparison from pure driving standpoint. But it’s not a suv. When I tow I only use the jeep. Unfortunately.

just be careful and test drive a lot overnight towing ect.. some claim the myp is a suv, it’s got room and awd but it can’t tow far between charges and there just aren’t many places to charge in remote areas. 100 miles is about what you will get in winter on hwy towing that much. I tow much less and get maybe 120 in summer mixed hwy/back roads.

the jeep is bigger inside too. But if it’s an urban drive, I’d never take the jeep !

A bit of a trick question.

For non-Jeep fans: No, no ground clearance issues for Model Y.
For Jeep fans: Yes, ground clearance is not that good.
I came from a 14 Grand Cherokee Overland and can say the Y isn’t nearly as high. However, I think the Y has just the right amount of ground clearance. The Jeep was a PITA to get into daily which is why I ran rock rails to use as side steps. I prefer how easy it is to get in the Y and find no issues with ground clearance in daily driving and snow driving. The only thing the GC was good at was: burning tons of fuel and going off road. I have no intentions of taking the Y off road so it is not an issue. It tows really well (some say bad range with towing but I haven’t seen that). Yes decreased range but I also don’t floor it from every stoplight like it is demolition derby. The handing in the Y greatly and I mean greatly outpaces the GC. Also, I had the Hemi GC and this Y will blow the doors off my old GC. I used to think the Hemi was fast. I would find it slow now. Don’t get me wrong I loved my GC and it was an awesome vehicle, but the Y is better for my currents needs/use.

They’re two completely different vehicles, outside of the obvious ICE vs EV. With the air suspension, you can simulate your lift.

MY’s intended purpose is a city slicker vs the nature adventurer, go anywhere market the JGC is going for.

That said, the dual motors on Tesla’s handle the slippery stuff much better than mechanical 4WD system can. I came from the world of Rovers and still own a few. I live in a hilly area in Upstate NY so I have first hand experience. Both my MS and MX handle the steep hills better than any of my Rovers can.

Definitely switch out the 21’s for the 19’s if you can... not sure if the perf Y can fit those. But I think you’d be pleasantly surprised how good that EV dual motor is in the snow.

Keep in mind your experience is with Model S and X in winter. Don't assume that translates to Model 3 and Y, because it simply doesn't.

I came from a 14 Grand Cherokee Overland and can say the Y isn’t nearly as high. However, I think the Y has just the right amount of ground clearance. The Jeep was a PITA to get into daily which is why I ran rock rails to use as side steps. I prefer how easy it is to get in the Y and find no issues with ground clearance in daily driving and snow driving. The only thing the GC was good at was: burning tons of fuel and going off road. I have no intentions of taking the Y off road so it is not an issue. It tows really well (some say bad range with towing but I haven’t seen that). Yes decreased range but I also don’t floor it from every stoplight like it is demolition derby. The handing in the Y greatly and I mean greatly outpaces the GC. Also, I had the Hemi GC and this Y will blow the doors off my old GC. I used to think the Hemi was fast. I would find it slow now. Don’t get me wrong I loved my GC and it was an awesome vehicle, but the Y is better for my currents needs/use.
Any other ice car would feel lethargic. Maybe not the trackhawk but I drove a Audi SQ7 which I was told was a rocket ship. 😌 felt like it took ages to downshift. Who the hell has to downshift ? 😂 seriously there was no comparison and that’s a 500 hp $100k killer and the MYP was much quicker. Maybe the Audi would catch it after 140 mph but I’m not gonna drive that fast ever so wouldn’t matter. I’m more into the 20-80 and MYP is not beatable.

interesting I didn’t find JCG hard to get into at all. It’s got air ride so it can drop to park mode. Simple to get in and out. MYP in other hand is not as easy to step down and really crush that outer seat bolster.

anyway total apples to oranges discussion I just happen to own both currently. You can tow 100 miles or so in the Y safely, anything more and you are on a prayer and better find a charge station. The jeep will tow at 90 mph for 3+hours regardless of temperature or hills or wind lol and you can stop anywhere to refill in 5 min no matter how backwoods you are (just throw a few 5 gal gas cans in the trailer). EV ? Ur walking.

If towing or off road - jeep. For other 99% of time - P. Just keep in mind 1 of these 2 vehicles can do practically everything and 1 can’t but is a whole lot better at what it can do

Last edited:
Any other ice car would feel lethargic. Maybe not the trackhawk but I drove a Audi SQ7 which I was told was a rocket ship. 😌 felt like it took ages to downshift. Who the hell has to downshift ? 😂 seriously there was no comparison and that’s a 500 hp $100k killer and the MYP was much quicker. Maybe the Audi would catch it after 140 mph but I’m not gonna drive that fast ever so wouldn’t matter. I’m more into the 20-80 and MYP is not beatable.

interesting I didn’t find JCG hard to get into at all. It’s got air ride so it can drop to park mode. Simple to get in and out. MYP in other hand is not as easy to step down and really crush that outer seat bolster.

anyway total apples to oranges discussion I just happen to own both currently. You can tow 100 miles or so in the Y safely, anything more and you are on a prayer and better find a charge station. The jeep will tow at 90 mph for 3+hours regardless of temperature or hills or wind lol and you can stop anywhere to refill in 5 min no matter how backwoods you are (just throw a few 5 gal gas cans in the trailer). EV ? Ur walking.

If towing or off road - jeep. For other 99% of time - P. Just keep in mind 1 of these 2 vehicles can do practically everything and 1 can’t but is a whole lot better at what it can do
I think it is all about what your looking to do. I don’t really miss the Jeep but I was spending $80/week in fuel costs. When I pull a trailer occasionally I borrow my parents Yukon Denali or rent a truck. If I were pulling a trailer every weekend and the Y was my only vehicle, I probably wouldn’t buy one. I’m about to get a company truck and they pay for the fuel, maintenance and anything else. So trailers won’t be a problem anymore

Reactions: a2t2
I think it is all about what your looking to do. I don’t really miss the Jeep but I was spending $80/week in fuel costs. When I pull a trailer occasionally I borrow my parents Yukon Denali or rent a truck. If I were pulling a trailer every weekend and the Y was my only vehicle, I probably wouldn’t buy one. I’m about to get a company truck and they pay for the fuel, maintenance and anything else. So trailers won’t be a problem anymore
U are definitely in the sweet spot then. I wish model Y was true SUV but without decent towing range it just isn’t. Really the only place it falls way short. The Rivian will be interesting as it will have a 180kwh battery, more than 2x model Y. If so that vehicle might actually be able to tow 200-250 miles which is far more useable than 100.

U are definitely in the sweet spot then. I wish model Y was true SUV but without decent towing range it just isn’t. Really the only place it falls way short. The Rivian will be interesting as it will have a 180kwh battery, more than 2x model Y. If so that vehicle might actually be able to tow 200-250 miles which is far more useable than 100.
I like the Rivians. Questions will be: can they get their charging infrastructure figured out, can they get them launched (already working on building a new plant and haven’t even got the manufacturing process down) and how long will it take to recharge that large pack. I’m keeping an eye on them though. I enjoy Tesla but I’m sure I will eventually buy a different brand.

Hi MDY55, I am wondering how you did with the MYP after a year and with this winter (I live in Toronto so similar Winter as Montreal). I have a JGC Summit now and about to order a MY or MYP to replace it. Any regrets?