Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from TM3 to Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jaguar considers being sold out when sufficient dealer orders are booked from their dealerships.

It is then up to those dealerships to get enough customers to themselves be sold out.

If there is not enough supply, they will add a premium to their selling prices. If there is not enough demand, they will offer a discount from the list price.

Think Jaguar is a Malaysian company.

CCS DCFC is available at ~1,100 locations in the USA (compared to 577 Supercharger locations)
The Jag has 100kW charging now. (It had 83kW before a late October OTA).
100kW charging is live in both Europe and America.
Initial taper and final taper is lower than Teslas', so there is a smaller difference in average charge rate per session than you probably expect.
Supposedly, most CCS DCFCs in California
You can, right now, drive the Jaguar from Edmonton Alberta to Miami, or from Tijuana to Nova Scotia, using only DCFCs,
You can also walk from LA to New York.. just because you “can” it doesn’t mean you should

Did you see actual user reviews? Look at Björn Nyland drive from Norway to Germany. 450 watts per mile average and 50 kWh charging. It’s not good.

I must be a cheap date because the I-Pace I configured came in around $80k. That’s still more than I can or want to pay for a car. The I-Pace is a good looking vehicle. I’m not sure about Jaguars now but I remember cars from the U.K. had electrical issues and this car is a pure electric car.

Tesla has a few years of producing EVs and this is Jaguar’s first one.
I personally urged people at the beginning of this thread... if you really want this car... wait for the lease. Don’t be one of the suckers who buy this for $80k.

Jaguar is going to be forced to dump these on the market in the US anyway. They for the most part sell gas guzzlers.

Just my 2 cents. If there was a way to speculate against cars like the IPace... I would put my money where my mouth is.

Son had a test drive in a Model X 100D overnight this weekend (P100D over his price range) then an i-Pace yesterday for an astounding 3 hours (nice dealer). He drove each about 120 miles, mostly 60 - 80 mph on the freeways and in the hills between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.
Both handled well, he and his wife preferred the niceties of the Jag interior. But both started out around 80% charge. The X had over 150 miles left, the i-Pace had 47 miles.
He ordered the X.

As promised, here below a first summary of the comparison between my MS and the my new iPace.

Financial and economical considerations
  • We got the HSE version fully loaded except air suspension at 96kCHF.
  • You can give back your ICE (Jaguar bought back my 2009 BMW 325i Xdrive, so it is an advantage if you want to trade-in your old ICE).
  • The service of the is each 2 years and IS FREE. I was quite surprised about that !
  • The car is on a leasing that was the first option that they offered.
Fit and finish
  • Exterior: the panels are just perfect. Way better than on my 2016 MS. There is no single misalignment. The painting appears stronger than on my S (over time I experienced several easy scratches on my black MS).
  • Interior: it gives a good match between what you pay and what you get. We got the white leather interiors with ventilated seats.
  • In general, it appears more solid than my MS.
Range and consumption
  • With a temperature around 10°C (so, the heating on all the time on both cars), I was comparing on similar routes my MS and the iPace. The MS has an average of 200 Wh/km while the iPace about 223 Wh/km.
  • Range: from 96% SoC to 5% it made 350 km (217 miles), the external temperature was always about 10°C or less. So, the normalised range should be about 385 km (239 miles).
  • What is interesting is that the usable battery energy is about 85-87 kWh (to be verified after intense testing). On my MS, this value is 70 kWh (I have the 90D). So, even if the specific consumption is higher, it is compensated by a larger usable energy.
Charging
  • I used a 50kW DC CCS and it worked quite well, still waiting to test on a 150kW charger to check whether the new software update can charge at 100 kW.
  • On-board charger: it is a 7kW and worked fine even with my Tesla HPWC (it uses one phase only). However, I do prefer the my MS charger (I have the 16kW one) since it can add more range on spot chargers like in supermarkets.
  • The iPace charge scheduler is very complete and allows to make quite complicated schedules. My wife is using it quite a lot to synchronise with lower tariffs, schedule the charge with the MS etc. It is not straightforward but worked very well once you get used to it.
Driving
  • Stiffer than the MS (both my MS and the iPace have the coils NOT air suspensions). The steering wheel is more direct. I like it ! The overall dynamics is more sporty than the MS and this was a surprise (the iPace has 20”rims).
  • The regen braking has two levels (like on the Tesla). However, with the higher regen level, you can really drive with one pedal. To make an example, on a 8% descent if you release the accelerator the car will eventually stop from 50 kmh to zero in about 100m. The car computes the regen energy and displays it. I found it a useful information.
  • I do like the various driving modes that have a large influence on the vehicle dynamics (the dynamic mode is great).
Navigation system
  • The Tesla navigation system is quite hard to beat. However, the one of the iPace does his job quite well. What I do like is the projection of the navigation information on the HUD. For those who like HUDs, the one of the iPace is quite complete since it can be programmed !
  • Using the internet connectivity, the search function works well like on the Tesla. Traffic information are accurate as well.
Audio system
  • Both cars have the premium audio. Personally, I prefer the Tesla one. It is brighter and the settings are replying the changes that you want. The one of the iPace has too much crossovers between the regulations.
  • Music: we use Apple Car Play without issues as well as external USB readings.
Connectivity
  • The car has its own sim for the BASIC VEHICLE DATA. So, if you want to access, for example, to traffic info and other stuff, you have to add your own sim (there is a dedicated port for that). So, we added an European Sim that for 10CHF/month gives unlimited data all around Europe.
  • You can activate a car hotspot attached to your own sim. It can connect up to 5 devices and it works well.

As promised, here below a first summary of the comparison between my MS and the my new iPace.

Financial and economical considerations
  • We got the HSE version fully loaded except air suspension at 96kCHF.
  • You can give back your ICE (Jaguar bought back my 2009 BMW 325i Xdrive, so it is an advantage if you want to trade-in your old ICE).
  • The service of the is each 2 years and IS FREE. I was quite surprised about that !
  • The car is on a leasing that was the first option that they offered.
Fit and finish
  • Exterior: the panels are just perfect. Way better than on my 2016 MS. There is no single misalignment. The painting appears stronger than on my S (over time I experienced several easy scratches on my black MS).
  • Interior: it gives a good match between what you pay and what you get. We got the white leather interiors with ventilated seats.
  • In general, it appears more solid than my MS.
Range and consumption
  • With a temperature around 10°C (so, the heating on all the time on both cars), I was comparing on similar routes my MS and the iPace. The MS has an average of 200 Wh/km while the iPace about 223 Wh/km.
  • Range: from 96% SoC to 5% it made 350 km (217 miles), the external temperature was always about 10°C or less. So, the normalised range should be about 385 km (239 miles).
  • What is interesting is that the usable battery energy is about 85-87 kWh (to be verified after intense testing). On my MS, this value is 70 kWh (I have the 90D). So, even if the specific consumption is higher, it is compensated by a larger usable energy.
Charging
  • I used a 50kW DC CCS and it worked quite well, still waiting to test on a 150kW charger to check whether the new software update can charge at 100 kW.
  • On-board charger: it is a 7kW and worked fine even with my Tesla HPWC (it uses one phase only). However, I do prefer the my MS charger (I have the 16kW one) since it can add more range on spot chargers like in supermarkets.
  • The iPace charge scheduler is very complete and allows to make quite complicated schedules. My wife is using it quite a lot to synchronise with lower tariffs, schedule the charge with the MS etc. It is not straightforward but worked very well once you get used to it.
Driving
  • Stiffer than the MS (both my MS and the iPace have the coils NOT air suspensions). The steering wheel is more direct. I like it ! The overall dynamics is more sporty than the MS and this was a surprise (the iPace has 20”rims).
  • The regen braking has two levels (like on the Tesla). However, with the higher regen level, you can really drive with one pedal. To make an example, on a 8% descent if you release the accelerator the car will eventually stop from 50 kmh to zero in about 100m. The car computes the regen energy and displays it. I found it a useful information.
  • I do like the various driving modes that have a large influence on the vehicle dynamics (the dynamic mode is great).
Navigation system
  • The Tesla navigation system is quite hard to beat. However, the one of the iPace does his job quite well. What I do like is the projection of the navigation information on the HUD. For those who like HUDs, the one of the iPace is quite complete since it can be programmed !
  • Using the internet connectivity, the search function works well like on the Tesla. Traffic information are accurate as well.
Audio system
  • Both cars have the premium audio. Personally, I prefer the Tesla one. It is brighter and the settings are replying the changes that you want. The one of the iPace has too much crossovers between the regulations.
  • Music: we use Apple Car Play without issues as well as external USB readings.
Connectivity
  • The car has its own sim for the BASIC VEHICLE DATA. So, if you want to access, for example, to traffic info and other stuff, you have to add your own sim (there is a dedicated port for that). So, we added an European Sim that for 10CHF/month gives unlimited data all around Europe.
  • You can activate a car hotspot attached to your own sim. It can connect up to 5 devices and it works well.

How are you getting 223 Wh/km when other reviews are getting well over 400wh/km? Overall it sounds like you would take the Ipace over the MS?

How are you getting 223 Wh/km when other reviews are getting well over 400wh/km? Overall it sounds like you would take the Ipace over the MS?

These are the numbers that I got during the first week of driving (my wife is the driver). The path is a mix of highway, urban and sub-urban. She is getting 400 Wh/km only going uphill (steepness around 4-6%). For the moment, we are quite happy about the range indeed, after the first week of use, the car has been charged after 7 days.

When we came back from the Jaguar dealer (that is 60 km away from where we live), we used a highway and we were driving at 120 km/h. The average consumption was about 260 Wh/km.

Here an example of a journey that the app is registering (each journey is automatically stored for further processing).

Attachments

• 22A1E153-94B8-4B5E-BFA5-80B3973AF668.jpeg
    22A1E153-94B8-4B5E-BFA5-80B3973AF668.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 78
These are the numbers that I got during the first week of driving (my wife is the driver). The path is a mix of highway, urban and sub-urban. She is getting 400 Wh/km only going uphill (steepness around 4-6%). For the moment, we are quite happy about the range indeed, after the first week of use, the car has been charged after 7 days.

When we came back from the Jaguar dealer (that is 60 km away from where we live), we used a highway and we were driving at 120 km/h. The average consumption was about 260 Wh/km.
260 wh/km is very high. You drive a similar speed on a model 3 with aero wheels you’ll probably average 240 - 250 watts per MILE.. so 160 wh/km.