Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from TM3 to Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a long waiting, my wife decided to switch from the TM3 to the Jaguar I-Pace.

We are living in Switzerland and just saw the I-Pace at the 2018 Geneva Motor show.

The car looks great. The fit and finish, the design (exterior and interior) are superb.

We ordered it and should be delivered this September.

P.S. the dealer accepted to trade-in our 9-years old BMW 325iXdrive and added a discount on the price-tag. These last two elements were key to decide considering the different price with respect to the M3.

I’ve heard from some that Tesla may have gone too far (for mainstream audiences) by eliminating almost all buttons. The iPace has a nice interior for sure and good balance between buttons and digital interface.

I love the minimalism of the Tesla interior. However, I agree that the M3 may have gone too far on that.

...and on the I-Pace you can have the HUD for 640 USD !!

After a long waiting, my wife decided to switch from the TM3 to the Jaguar I-Pace.

We are living in Switzerland and just saw the I-Pace at the 2018 Geneva Motor show.

The car looks great. The fit and finish, the design (exterior and interior) are superb.

We ordered it and should be delivered this September.

P.S. the dealer accepted to trade-in our 9-years old BMW 325iXdrive and added a discount on the price-tag. These last two elements were key to decide considering the different price with respect to the M3.

You ordered now and not taking delivery till September? I thought they were building now?

The I-Pace is not in the same category as a M3. I can understand why your wife loves it. Given that the AWD M3 is not available and the MY is not even announced; Tesla will have some real competition now. More on the way. Good for all consumers.

I think in Europe, Jaguar may have a winner. Given the public charging infrastructure being built.

Reactions: lklundin
You ordered now and not taking delivery till September? I thought they were building now?

The I-Pace is not in the same category as a M3. I can understand why your wife loves it. Given that the AWD M3 is not available and the MY is not even announced; Tesla will have some real competition now. More on the way. Good for all consumers.

I think in Europe, Jaguar may have a winner. Given the public charging infrastructure being built.

You are definitely right when you say that the two cars are not in the same category. The I-Pace is definitely a competitor of the MS.
What we were stressed about the M3 was the long waiting time.

Certainly the charging infrastructure available in Europe is a determining factor that opens the market to non-Tesla EVs.
More competition is just good for all consumers.

In any case, all this has been triggered thanks to Tesla. They have been the true pioneers of this change. I am still in love with my MS, hoping to keep it as long as possible.

Congrats. Seems like a nice EV. I built mine and for the features I want it’s closer to $85K. For that I’d get a new Model S.
I don't know honestly. For $85k these days you get a barebone MS pretty much. That said I would feel safer buying a Tesla because I fear that it's going to take more than 1 iteration to get this right

It seems to be the first non Tesla EV ever though that looks nice though... maybe jaguar is on to something

Reactions: Sg911 and gowthamn
What I don't get is 90kwh battery yet same range as MX75D?

Also in Europe it seems to make even less sense than in the US:

$85k IPace first edition costs 104,000 euros in France! Loaded 75D is 101k roughly. In other words Tesla prices are more aligned with the US than Jaguar.

I believe that prices of EVs in France already includes tax subsidy. So, an Ipace costs 50 percent more almost than in the US, unless I am missing something. I can't imagine other EU countries to be much different from France. I realize that Switzerland is not in the EU.

Last edited:
As for now we can’t compare range exactly, we only have I Pace range documented with WLTP wish we don’t have any Tesla model in. I believe the EPA range should be longer then Jaguars estimate so let’s wait and see how it goes.

Even if there is a lot of CCS charger here in Europe for what I have heard the Superchargers is far superior when it comes to usefulness and reliability then most CCS network but if you have a Tesla you can use it for long distance traveling at least until the CCS network is good.

the Ipace looks awesome. a foot less in width and length than the S and X. so will be easier to drive and park. and interior looks good to me.

Model S and X look outdated. it doesn't make sense to me that the Model 3 has a faster screen and charges faster than the S or X.
Model 3 goes too far with the lack of buttons and the autopilot stalk.
Tesla's supercharger network is tough to beat though.

Reactions: Icer and gowthamn
There was a mistake made early on and it is being repeated from there all the time.
I found NEDC (unrealistic* by similar amount to all EVs) range for both vehicles:
Tesla Model X 100D range: 351 miles
Discontinued X 90D had: 303 miles
iPace 90kWh AWD range: 336 miles

These numbers match perfectly with battery capacity and vehicle parameters.
Not a single review has mentioned that iPace will have less range loss in cold weather compared to Model X.

The "mistake" was to state real world range as primary number for "pros" to grab to.
Model X 90D real world range is 190 miles, plus minus.

*can be achieved if driver is a saint.

There was a mistake made early on and it is being repeated from there all the time.
I found NEDC (unrealistic* by similar amount to all EVs) range for both vehicles:
Tesla Model X 100D range: 351 miles
Discontinued X 90D had: 303 miles
iPace 90kWh AWD range: 336 miles

These numbers match perfectly with battery capacity and vehicle parameters.
Not a single review has mentioned that iPace will have less range loss in cold weather compared to Model X.

The "mistake" was to state real world range as primary number for "pros" to grab to.

*can be achieved if driver is a saint.
Are they using a heat pump in the iPace?

Jaguar's own US site states the EPA range is 240 miles. Are you saying they posted the wrong information? If it was closer to 300 miles we would seriously consider it against a LR Model 3.

Are they using a heat pump in the iPace?
Yes. And there is less glass (more insulation). As of right now, specs show that there will be actuated shade on optional panorama roof. But I've not seen it in action yet.

Jaguar's own US site states the EPA range is 240 miles. Are you saying they posted the wrong information? If it was closer to 300 miles we would seriously consider it against a LR Model 3.

Jaguar also states 298 miles on WLTP cycle. And WLTP and EPA are very similar (if we look other EV's like Leaf for example).
It is possible 240 is some crossbreed BS due to "charge to 80% recommendation". That happened with Nissan years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I had a seat in an i-Pace this weekend. Came away rather unimpressed overall. Unfortunately.
It's a very small vehicle, more comparable in size with a BMW X1 / Audi Q3. Also the interior was a bit "meh" and the tech not that impressive. The front also looks a bit strange.
Lot's of questions marks for this vehicle. Maybe as a second car, but the lack of charging infrastructure will make it more or less useless the coming 2-3 years before the CCS 100kW+ networks are built up.

Not sure what Jaguar smoked when comparing the i-Pace with a Model X in the first place. It's like comparing a BMW X1 with an X5. Two different type of cars for different purpose. The Model Y would be the car to compare this vehicle with and since that one don't exist yet it has to be compared with a Model 3. And then we know that the Jag is prices A LOT above that...

Saying all that it's really great that Jaguar release this car to market and put more EV's on the road!! For me personally, it is not a vehicle that is of any interest mainly due to size, lack of charging infrastructure and the fact that this is Jaguars first attempt to EVs so a bit uncertain about reliability, drivetrain etc.

Last edited:
Not sure what Jaguar smoked when comparing the i-Pace with a Model X in the first place. It's like comparing a BMW X1 with an X5. Two different type of cars for different purpose. The Model Y would be the car to compare this vehicle with and since that one don't exist yet it has to be compared with a Model 3. And then we know that the Jag is prices A LOT above that...

Instinctively, manufacturers advertise themselves as Tesla rivals, because Tesla is where they perceive the threat. Now they have an "answer" to the threat. But in reality, the untapped market is not the niche Tesla owners/fans - it's the vast sea of people driving ICE cars who have not discovered how fun it is to drive an EV. Despite that, Jag is targeting Tesla which only has the S, X, and 3, and I guess they think the i-Pace is most similar to the X.....

Yes. And there is less glass (more insulation). As of right now, specs show that there will be actuated shade on optional panorama roof. But I've not seen it in action yet.

Jaguar also states 298 miles on WLTP cycle. And WLTP and EPA are very similar (if we look other EV's like Leaf for example).
It is possible 240 is some crossbreed BS due to "charge to 80% recommendation". That happened with Nissan years ago.
Interesting, do we know how they are heating the glycol loop to keep the pack temps up?