Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T Sportline 19s on a P3D+ rattling like crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, first time poster here. I came across this page as I have a problem with newly-mounted TSportline 20" rims, on a standard-everything Model 3. There was a rattling / vibration immediately after install, and I don't know what the problem is. I sent the below email to TSportline. Any advice / recommendations as to (1) the source of the problem, and (2) the best resolution would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I sold my stock rims / tires as soon as I swapped them, but on the other

I purchased a set of 4 TSS flow forged tesla wheels, ORDER #106427. I purchased these before I actually took delivery of my new car, and finally had these mounted (with a set of new Toyo brand tires) just 1.5 weeks ago, on Monday July 8th.

I immediately noticed a minor friction / shaking-like sensation on the way home. I do not drive to work, barely drive in general, but drove it on the freeway last weekend, and at the higher speed I noticed much more pronounced this vibration / shaking sensation. I brought it back to the tire shop (NTB national tire & battery), and their expert reported a bent in two of the four wheels. They reported the bents are noticeable when the wheels are on the balancing machine. Please see attached notes / receipt from the NTB national tire shop describing the issue, they emphasized their willingness to explain their observations to the manufacturer regarding the bent, if need be.

In any event, they re-balanced all four wheels. I drove off this afternoon, and immediately notice this shaking / vibration problem is persisting. The tires are brand new Toyo brand tires, and I confirmed with NTB tire that they mounted the wheels with the recommended higher ft-lb torque (they said 129 ft-lb torque was used in mounting). Based on the above, I am of the belief these two of the four wheels are defective. To reiterate, (1) I observed the vibration immediately after the wheels were mounted, (2) I can document if need be the very limited number of miles driven between the 7/8 (original mounting) and 7/19 (re-balancing / inspection of wheel bent), and (3) the inspection of the wheels (if needed) will verify there are no cosmetic damage to the exterior of the wheels.
Can you lift the car and check if the wheels can spin without making any noise or interference with the fender or the brakes?

Note: You will need to put the car in Tow mode using the central display.

Thanks all. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the President of TSportline (Elie?). It was very frustrating because his objective was to impress upon me that it is impossible that a bent rim would have been shipped to me. He alternated between stating a willingness to inspect the rims (shipping cost to me) or photos / evidence showing the condition to determine they are covered under warranty, and also stating that if they are bent I would have to pay for new wheels plus the shipping cost for them to sent back the damaged wheels.

The bent(s) issue is troubling, but I'm wondering whether this may be the source of the vibration problem. His recommendation was to bring it to another tire shop to get a second opinion as to the source of the vibration. My foremost concern is to resolve the problem. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I could get a second opinion (mounting, balancing, testing) in Washington DC, preferably close to downtown?

For additional context -- What I purchased was here (the single-motor RWD version) Tesla Model 3 20
Thanks all. I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with the President of TSportline (Elie?). It was very frustrating because his objective was to impress upon me that it is impossible that a bent rim would have been shipped to me. He alternated between stating a willingness to inspect the rims (shipping cost to me) or photos / evidence showing the condition to determine they are covered under warranty, and also stating that if they are bent I would have to pay for new wheels plus the shipping cost for them to sent back the damaged wheels.

The bent(s) issue is troubling, but I'm wondering whether this may be the source of the vibration problem. His recommendation was to bring it to another tire shop to get a second opinion as to the source of the vibration. My foremost concern is to resolve the problem. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I could get a second opinion (mounting, balancing, testing) in Washington DC, preferably close to downtown?

For additional context -- What I purchased was here (the single-motor RWD version) Tesla Model 3 20

As an update to this, I informed Tsportline (upon their email request) that I install the wheels with a set of new Toyo Extensa tires, 245/35/20. I subsequently got another call from their President, who emphasize to me that (1) this is the wrong size (235/35/20 is recommended) and (2) Toyo is a cheap, lowest on the pole brand, and there could be an issue with the tire (all four?). He then rushed off the phone.

This is frustrating. Based on the vibration / ratting problem I'm experiencing, it seems unlikely that the problems are attributable to the tires, and I've had no issue with either Toyo or discount tire direct (who I've used for years). I welcome others' thoughts. Also, again, if anyone has a recommendation as to a shop in the DC area for a second look / opinion on as to the issue here, greatly appreciated.

As an update to this, I informed Tsportline (upon their email request) that I install the wheels with a set of new Toyo Extensa tires, 245/35/20. I subsequently got another call from their President, who emphasize to me that (1) this is the wrong size (235/35/20 is recommended) and (2) Toyo is a cheap, lowest on the pole brand, and there could be an issue with the tire (all four?). He then rushed off the phone.

This is frustrating. Based on the vibration / ratting problem I'm experiencing, it seems unlikely that the problems are attributable to the tires, and I've had no issue with either Toyo or discount tire direct (who I've used for years). I welcome others' thoughts. Also, again, if anyone has a recommendation as to a shop in the DC area for a second look / opinion on as to the issue here, greatly appreciated.

As an update to this, I informed Tsportline (upon their email request) that I install the wheels with a set of new Toyo Extensa tires, 245/35/20. I subsequently got another call from their President, who emphasizes to me that (1) this is the wrong size (235/35/20 is recommended) and (2) Toyo is a cheap, lowest on the pole brand, and there could be an issue with the tire (all four?). He then rushed off the phone.

This is frustrating. Based on the vibration/ratting problem I'm experiencing, it seems unlikely that the problems are attributable to the tires, and I've had no issue with either Toyo or discount tire direct (who I've used for years). I welcome others' thoughts. Also, again, if anyone has a recommendation as to a shop in the DC area for a second look/opinion on as to the issue here, greatly appreciated.

Take your car back to the tire shop and have them check it out... swap tire/wheels if necessary.

Reactions: mswlogo