Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC does not work very well on curvy roads :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very, very well put.

So I'm new to this forum, but have spent some time on Tesla's forum since getting my P85D in December.

I love my car, but it still amazes me the number of people who respond in the form of "you're holding it wrong" or "the manual says you shouldn't do XXX". I love the TACC. It got even better in 6.2. I use it every day in traffic. On local roads. Yes, I know what the manual says. Yes, the car has "tried to kill me" on several occasions. But that's fine. I am responsible for being in control of my car at all times and supervising the TACC. I accept the responsibility. And the truth is it works amazingly well 90+% of the time in rush hour traffic and it lowers my stress getting home each and every day. I understand how it works. Every time there is an upgrade things change and it's my responsibility to be alert to understand those changes. But: that doesn't change the fact that I want it to improve in these situations and for Tesla to make it better. Those disclaimers aren't because Tesla never wants to have TACC work 24x7 everywhere, it's legal stuff and a statement around where they think it's "nearly bulletproof". I want it to do more, I'm sure Tesla aspires to more, I'll provide feedback to help. I don't think it helps to tell people to only use it "the way the manual says". If you love your car and Tesla, let's help give the data necessary to help them go to the next level. Yes, the car tries to wreck almost every time I go around a corner on TACC and cars are stopped ahead. I'm in control, expect that and prevent that from happening. That doesn't mean I don't want Tesla to eventually fix that. My feedback to them is in the most positive light possible. There is much to improve. 60+% of what I gave feedback on in 6.1 has totally been addressed. I'm happy!

Sorry, maybe you are calling it a "freeway" based on a map you are looking at, but it is not a freeway, the part under discussion that goes over the mountain between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz has multiple intersections that are not the "freeway limited access" type with on ramps and off ramps, and it the lanes are narrow with no shoulder at all for most of it. Not a "freeway". It is notorious for having a higher accident rate.

I am impressed that TACC works well on it.

And yes, it's a fun drive when traffic is light.

I stand corrected. It's been a while since I've driven there. You're right that the on/off ramps aren't up to Interstate standards. But TACC doesn't care about that. The curves may be sharper than the Interstate standard, too, not sure. But they're certainly easy enough at well over the speed limit (except for all the other traffic that seems to freak out anyway). I'm not visualizing it well enough right now but my guess is that the car in front would never disappear from the radar at TACC setting 7, certainly not at 1.