Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC drafting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
I know there's been a fair amount of discussion in the past about the value and safety of drafting during long trips, but it seems to me like TACC/AP changes things.

Drafting a semi while in TACC shouldn't add any real risk for either one of you, provided the semi doesn't hit something or throw a tread (though it might make the semi driver nervous since he won't know the computers are protecting you.)

It'd be interesting to see how much drafting in the various distance settings reduces energy consumption over time - and if you have a flat place and a semi that's going at a fixed pace, it seems like the energy usage center console screen could show you the savings quite easily.

Has anyone done any experimenting with this?
Walter

I did a lot of drafting in KS headed west on I70, I set the TACC at 2 or 3 and stayed alert. drafting could add significant miles to your range (20+%). that stretch is a constant upgrade and prone to severe headwinds.

You have to get so close to draft that I don't do it. If you open your windows and still have significant wind noise, you aren't drafting.

Not to mention, it makes the trucker mad.

I've been told on various occasions that it annoys them, but I'm not sure why it should in the described circumstances.

They'll get a slight improvement in economy too, and haven't gotten any additional risk. I think they are usually worried about being rear ended, but TACC will prevent that.

You have to get so close to draft that I don't do it. If you open your windows and still have significant wind noise, you aren't drafting.

Not to mention, it makes the trucker mad.
that has not been my experience. I find that even at 2-3 car lengths back I see better wh/miles and if you "help" the truckers by throwing blocks so they can change lanes there usually isn't a problem.

I understand the benefits of drafting. But unless it truly saves you money or time by avoiding a charging stop altogether, why would you take so many rock chips in the face?? Look closely at your nosecone and your hood ... that isn't dirt. It's your paint all chipped up. :)

- K

Valid point.

Of course, I was already planning on putting a protective film on the car. :)

I did a lot of drafting in KS headed west on I70, I set the TACC at 2 or 3 and stayed alert. drafting could add significant miles to your range (20+%). that stretch is a constant upgrade and prone to severe headwinds.

Mythbusters confirmed this. Even at a safe 150ft it's noticeable. Using TACC with a low number will easily get you 20% in most circumstances.

I would like feedback from a truck driver on if blocking is helpful.

Interesting to think about the effect drafting could have on the car. From a safety standpoint, it should not be done. (I've taken a few mandated driving classes and the instructors always cite studies on how even with a quick reaction time, the car behind you or on the side of you cannot anticipate quick movement and the likelihood of an accident goes up significantly.)

I have no evidence to back this up except my own experience cycling: when drafting behind a larger rider, I have to be a few inches from their wheel to be in their slipstream. (Obviously this distance is different while driving) Even when cycling, it takes quite a bit of experience to do this safely and perfectly. I can't imagine how someone could do this safely in an uncontrolled environment like a freeway. But if there is a safe way to do it (without pissing off the big rigs) count me in!

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
Interesting to think about the effect drafting could have on the car. From a safety standpoint, it should not be done. (I've taken a few mandated driving classes and the instructors always cite studies on how even with a quick reaction time, the car behind you or on the side of you cannot anticipate quick movement and the likelihood of an accident goes up significantly.)

I have no evidence to back this up except my own experience cycling: when drafting behind a larger rider, I have to be a few inches from their wheel to be in their slipstream. (Obviously this distance is different while driving) Even when cycling, it takes quite a bit of experience to do this safely and perfectly. I can't imagine how someone could do this safely in an uncontrolled environment like a freeway. But if there is a safe way to do it (without pissing off the big rigs) count me in!
does your bike have TACC?
the TACC reacts to a change in speed as fast as I could, and I am able to react to the TACC reaction. I did this for a couple of hundred miles on lightly traveled roads. It may not work so well in congested areas.

does your bike have TACC?
the TACC reacts to a change in speed as fast as I could, and I am able to react to the TACC reaction. I did this for a couple of hundred miles on lightly traveled roads. It may not work so well in congested areas.
Is TACC supposed to react faster than drivers? Honest question.

Of course the cycling analogy is not a perfect one. Everyone has a different threshold for risk. Drafting a truck happens to be too risky for me. For others, it may feel very safe. I tend to think of worse case scenarios like a deer jumping out in front of truck.

I think the myth busters did an episode on cars or trucks drafting. I honestly can't remember their conclusion.

There must be some state trooper or physicist on here that can give there input on experience watching people draft or if it can be done safely.

Does anyone know if it's even legal?

Is TACC supposed to react faster than drivers? Honest question.

Of course the cycling analogy is not a perfect one. Everyone has a different threshold for risk. Drafting a truck happens to be too risky for me. For others, it may feel very safe. I tend to think of worse case scenarios like a deer jumping out in front of truck.

I think the myth busters did an episode on cars or trucks drafting. I honestly can't remember their conclusion.

There must be some state trooper or physicist on here that can give there input on experience watching people draft or if it can be done safely.

Does anyone know if it's even legal?
have you ever driven a TACC equipped tesla? do you own a tesla?

I hope you're a big fan of road rage because you're going to get a lot of it doing that.
Agreed. There is a culture among commercial truckers that is undeniable and more often than not, drafting will aggravate them. I'm not saying that they are justified in responding that way. Whether drafting is good/bad illegal/legal risky/perfectly safe with TACC/without it driving in a way that reduces the chance of aggravating drivers is courteous and usually safer driving.

I think if we talk about this kind of driving, it's imperative to include some discussion about safety so there is full disclosure and people who might have less common sense understand potential risks.

We can be driving a car with the best safety technology in world but the closer you get to the back of a truck, the greater your risk. How you measure that incremental increase in risk is very subjective. No one needs to own a Tesla or fully understand or have experience with TACC to understand that.

Reactions: newtman