Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Take over steering wheel immediately" bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine in Texas where the legal speed limit is up to 85mph on some highways, or in some EU counties with no speed limit highways it would be always impossible to pass without loosing the AP functionality if you forget to disengage it beforehand.
But, as I found out the hard way, the speed limit is the speed limit. It is illegal to surpass the speed limit, even when passing.

But, as I found out the hard way, the speed limit is the speed limit. It is illegal to surpass the speed limit, even when passing.

Well, the OP is in Washington. It's illegal to speed when passing on 4+ lane road like a freeway, but it's legal on a regular 2-lane road, as long as you return to the speed limit after you've finished overtaking.

Still, even in those cases, Autopilot is going to turn itself off because the driver is driving above Autopilot speeds.

I guess the "workaround" is to turn off Autopilot if you're going to be doing a bunch of high-speed overtaking close to or above the Autopilot limit.

(I doubt Tesla will care to change it. It has a goal of autonomy and you can bet that autonomous cars are going to be very good about obeying traffic laws.)

Well, the OP is in Washington. It's illegal to speed when passing on 4+ lane road like a freeway, but it's legal on a regular 2-lane road, as long as you return to the speed limit after you've finished overtaking.

Interesting reading. It is allowed, provided the vehicle being passed is driving under the speed limit. It’s also still subject to reckless driving penalties, which I would guess would be possible passing a slow vehicle at 90+ mph.

What is typical enforcement? Officer judgement?

I took a test drive in a model 3 yesterday. It seem like auto steering was more of a hassle then it is worth. The auto steering worked great. It was the almost constant tugging at the steering wheel to keep it engaged that made it less valuable. It is true I only used it for 5 -7 minutes. I guess it will train me like the BMW ACC with stop &go has. It seams like a more reasonable approach by Telsa is to allow Autopilot to resume after you speed is 90 mph or less. However stop and go is good for speeds up to 130 mph.
My impression of the Model 3 was very favorable. Sure would like to try it again after v9 is released.

All discussions regarding law/use case etc are irrelevant.
Just explain WHY one should not be able to turn the AP back if you think this is not a bug.

And as a use case, just imagine a straight stretch of a road, you are traveling on AP on some set speed, and there is a car driving next to you, so you just want to move ahead a bit so the car on the right does not stuck on your blind spot all the times.
So you hit go pedal for a sec or two, and as the car is so fast it would easily do 90mph for a moment.... and than boom, no more AP until the end of your trip.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Last edited:
Its for your own and the rest of our safety, Tesla (the creator of the system) has deemed that 90mph is the limit of the system. If you exceed this limit it triggers a safety protocol that forces you to put the car in park and chill tf out.