Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking delivery tomorrow- need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery tomorrow (07/29) and i mainly have two questions:

1- How do you guys document pre delivery issues (before accepting the car)? I am thinking of going through the checklist posted here and then sending them an email(with pictures) about what i think should be fixed and them acknowledging that with a reply. I am not willing to accept the car without that.

this is the reply i got from the delivery appointment phone number for this question:

“ When you arrive, and are taking delivery, we will go over the vehicle with you. Any issues you may have with the vehicle we can either a) refuse delivery or b) take the car, and take photos of the repair needed via your Tesla app and we can schedule a service appt to remedy the situation”

2- How do I go about making the final payment? I am thinking of doing that only after I inspect the car and decide to take it or not. Is that possible?

thx

1) in the tesla app there is a place to upload pictures and leave comments but you could probably get away with emailing or texting and asking for acknowledgement as a receipt. But if you really want to make sure I'd note them all with photographs and descriptions of issues and then ask someone to walk through those with you so that they can document and give you a paper due bill.

You can make final payment in the app via ACH, cashiers check or some locations will accept a personal / biz check.

Good luck!

Probably a dumb question, but I'm a Tesla newbie, and my pickup is also scheduled for tomorrow. Do you upload those pictures and comments BEFORE you take delivery? I was under the impression they don't activate the Tesla app until after you accept delivery, so I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to use the Tesla app to upload my concerns *before* I take delivery on the car...

Probably a dumb question, but I'm a Tesla newbie, and my pickup is also scheduled for tomorrow. Do you upload those pictures and comments BEFORE you take delivery? I was under the impression they don't activate the Tesla app until after you accept delivery, so I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to use the Tesla app to upload my concerns *before* I take delivery on the car...

I am assuming you are a contactless delivery.
You are correct, you cannot submit a service request without having the app live. You cannot make the app live without accepting delivery.
As I understand it, you have 24 hours/100 miles from accepting delivery to alert them to any fit/finish/or delivery issues. Otherwise it is considered normal "wear and tear" and they could disagree as "you caused that damage, and it wasn't part of the delivery".

That said, if you are contactless, take delivery and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Any defects you want to report do it before enjoying it. 100 miles adds up quickly. If you are taking delivery at a service center, even if it is contactless, walk around the car, inspect it. Then request an agent come out and document the flaws. That is what I did and the delivery agent documented them right there on the spot.

Ok, the is the response from the Tesla sales rep:

"Tesla has a 7 day or 1000 mile return policy. In terms of the fit/finish/etc issues, at pick up, your delivery advisor will walk the car and review everything with you. While you are there, if you notice anything, your advisor will take photos with you on your Tesla app which creates a due bill, aka the repair order. We don’t expect you to analyze the car inch by inch in the moment of delivery, because most people want to get in and drive right away, but if you notice something within the next day or so you can still add photos to your Tesla app and create more due bills.
Your advisor will review all the information in person again tomorrow."

I specifically asked about 100miles/24hrs policy.
He does mention adding pics after delivery to create additional due bills. I got more confused :)

Ok, the is the response from the Tesla sales rep:

"Tesla has a 7 day or 1000 mile return policy. In terms of the fit/finish/etc issues, at pick up, your delivery advisor will walk the car and review everything with you. While you are there, if you notice anything, your advisor will take photos with you on your Tesla app which creates a due bill, aka the repair order. We don’t expect you to analyze the car inch by inch in the moment of delivery, because most people want to get in and drive right away, but if you notice something within the next day or so you can still add photos to your Tesla app and create more due bills.
Your advisor will review all the information in person again tomorrow."

I specifically asked about 100miles/24hrs policy.
He does mention adding pics after delivery to create additional due bills. I got more confused :)
Keep in mind, the 24 hours/100 miles thing is only for cosmetic fit and finish things, or really things you can break or do yourself. Grease on the headliner, coat hooks being broken, paint scratches. Major things like wiper hose not being connected (my issue), radar not working correctly (my issue too), squeaks and rattles (also my issues), mysterious latch activating at random (yep...still mine) are all covered under the warranty.

Dont worry about the minor things. Look for major "deal breakers" and then document everything else in the app or email to tesla advisor. For my list of 9 issues, only three of them made the app. The rest are emails with the service advisor directly. He gave me his Tesla email and also the email address (to send photos and videos to) the SC.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Hey all here is my 2cents for free
I picked up my MY Performance Red/White interior Vin 258xx this past Saturday. The car was awesome didn't see anything wrong .doing PPF and was told left hood slightly higher than right side .He said felt with hand easy fix.
I am not saying dont check car but
Please enjoy your delivery.
People are cheating themselves of the joy.
Anyways fit and finish issues should be getting better.
Good luck to all
Smell the roses just maybe there wont be those thorns

Reactions: HeyEph
Talked to the rep just moments ago. He told me there is no such policy 24 hours / 100 miles, but he said they are human being and most of the time they accept additional issues after delivery. I guess that falls into tesla's goodwill concept.

That's all. All is clear for me now. I am excited about tomorrow :)

My advisor also told me he never heard of the 100 mile thing. Anyway, today is pick up day finally!

Oh my, you be the judge, same issues at the end of july, just like the end of previous quarter, that’s what it looks like. I will upload more pics when i get to it.

Attachments

• D1D2DE67-ED0F-43E3-A678-DCFF026A5C57.jpeg
    D1D2DE67-ED0F-43E3-A678-DCFF026A5C57.jpeg
    418.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 23836B6D-70D4-4012-A503-0436F5D97296.jpeg
    23836B6D-70D4-4012-A503-0436F5D97296.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 132
  • B7ADF500-A02B-4AD1-A996-D2A74D82EB5A.jpeg
    B7ADF500-A02B-4AD1-A996-D2A74D82EB5A.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 136
  • A935675A-4FD3-4F9C-B5E8-C9A8B562B96B.jpeg
    A935675A-4FD3-4F9C-B5E8-C9A8B562B96B.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 43007633-3507-497E-9BAF-2EFCD3C833FD.jpeg
    43007633-3507-497E-9BAF-2EFCD3C833FD.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 3F9F4B2D-B0C5-4D0F-B7D8-74E831B7DB08.jpeg
    3F9F4B2D-B0C5-4D0F-B7D8-74E831B7DB08.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 147
What was your VIN?

same as mine, VIN 13xxx, produced in June. The question about the hatch - see if you have a similar issue:
IMG_20200702_120247.jpg

The funny part - there are some perfect fit cars (10-20%?) and 80% is like yours. The numbers are a pure guess based on visiting the delivery center here in Austin, TX, and looking into inventory. May not be representative at all. However, even new cars, with the latest VIN's (28xxx) has similar issues:

IMG_20200725_163315.jpg

The good news - it is all cosmetic and does not affect the driving experience. SC can, and sometimes will fix some of the issues. In many cases, they will add additional damage. You either need to close your eye's on this, and just enjoy the car, or return it and wait couple of more months till they will get all their production lines tuned. To me, it seems that one production line is really tuned - no gaps, all aligned properly. Others are not.

Had a Model Y delivery fail yesterday. We rejected the vehicle and left, to return another day (and another dealership) to get an acceptable one. There were too many defects found within 1 minute. I'm old school. When the vehicle is ready for delivery, let me know and I'll come get it. But don't leave the dealership with a car that has problems, once it leaves the lot it is YOUR CAR and YOUR PROBLEMS. Regardless of the happy talk and "don't worry just bring it back and we'll take care of all those things later". That's my advice.

My advisor also told me he never heard of the 100 mile thing. Anyway, today is pick up day finally!
I was told (over the phone) you have 3 days or 100 miles, whichever comes first, to report and delivery issues, because they limit each delivery appt to 30 minutes at the dealership. But I would be skeptical. Once you've paid and left the lot with the vehicle, its YOUR VEHICLE. And you've lost leverage. So if there are too many things found wrong, best to reject the delivery and come back another day. My advice.

I am taking delivery tomorrow (07/29) and i mainly have two questions:

1- How do you guys document pre delivery issues (before accepting the car)? I am thinking of going through the checklist posted here and then sending them an email(with pictures) about what i think should be fixed and them acknowledging that with a reply. I am not willing to accept the car without that.

this is the reply i got from the delivery appointment phone number for this question:

“ When you arrive, and are taking delivery, we will go over the vehicle with you. Any issues you may have with the vehicle we can either a) refuse delivery or b) take the car, and take photos of the repair needed via your Tesla app and we can schedule a service appt to remedy the situation”

2- How do I go about making the final payment? I am thinking of doing that only after I inspect the car and decide to take it or not. Is that possible?

thx

Which model did you get,? Is this a new car? sorry if it’s mentioned already.
This makes me nervous, I’m set for September delivery (custom build) looking at your pics, if my car looks like that I’ll not be able to take it.
Only under the agreement that they are all made right. I’m coming from an Audi Etron where the build quality is...... well it’s an Audi! Flawless throughout.
I understand it’s a Tesla but it’s still £90.000 and the Audi is £89.000 I’m leaving Audi as I want the Tesla range but I don’t want a badly made car. My concern is seeing yours now, if I get that! The whole wait and excitement will be wiped out and I’ll just of sold a car that I’ll have to buy again. At a massive cost, never mind the hassle to buy and then return the Tesla. It’s going to cost me a lot of money to just go back to Audi.

Last edited: