Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking wheel off Model 3 overnight for repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit a bad pothole w/ my AWD w/ 19" sport wheels. First it was $336 to Tesla for a new tire. Left with a vibration. Then $704 to Tesla to replace a bent wheel, but still a vibe. Then $250 to Firestone for lifetime alignment and balance where they found the other wheel on the right (rear) is also bent. Not wanting to fork over another $700, there is a wheel repair shop that can straighten it for $125 (and fix some unrelated curb rash for another $50, or $175 total for like new). Issue is they prefer to have the wheel for 24hr, not the car. Not a problem for any other car I've owned. Advice on how to leave the Model 3 for 24hr on 3 wheels? I have a regular floor jack and these rubber lift adapters.

Option 1: Get the fancy $150 jack stand but also need a low profile jack, about $300 total, approach the cost of having Tesla replace the wheel. I would assume I would use both stands, and have to lift one side at a time, torquing the car a bit. Sure I could use the stands later, but I don't envision doing much work to the car - will I ever do a brake job?

Option 2: I may be able to leave the car with the shop, but guessing they don't have a 4 point lift and will face the same problem.

Option 3: If I take the cap off my floor jack, place the rubber adapter under the car, I can just get the floor jack under w/ about 1/2" of clearance. I could jack it up an inch or so to get the wheel off and lower it all the way on the jack while the wheel is repaired. The garage is near level (standard 2 degree slope for drainage). I'm inclined to think this will be just fine. Thoughts? Here is a pic.
IMG_6085.jpg

Reactions: KenC
Harbor freight nearby? Jack from there (look for a coupon too) is a lot less than what you are quoting.

Harbor Freight gear is good enough for occasional maintenance, and they have low profile jacks.

No matter which way you go consider what would happen if the jack lost all the pressure overnight. I’d have a jack stand under the suspension on that side with both taking the load, plenty of acceptable spots to put one under.