Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tall People Only: Model 3 Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6’8” Model 3 owner here (picked up on January 11). I agree that the car is a better fit for tall people than the Model S...better headroom, better vision out the front (although I still need to scrunch down a bit to see high traffic signals, although sometimes they are easy to see out the roof window), much easier ingress and egress to the seating position. I’m quite happy, but the X (which my wife drives) is quite a bit more roomy by comparison. The Model 3 is much more fun to drive than the X though (and I would take one over an S any day).

Reactions: EV-lutioin
6’8” Model 3 owner here (picked up on January 11). I agree that the car is a better fit for tall people than the Model S...better headroom, better vision out the front (although I still need to scrunch down a bit to see high traffic signals, although sometimes they are easy to see out the roof window), much easier ingress and egress to the seating position. I’m quite happy, but the X (which my wife drives) is quite a bit more roomy by comparison. The Model 3 is much more fun to drive than the X though (and I would take one over an S any day).

Side track:
Which year/ seats does your X have? I test drove in November, and the power adjustable headrest dug into my shoulders. If a previous version seat was better, I need to get on the CPO list....

I'm a shade under 6'2" and have a 36" inseam as well. I find the Model 3 easier to get in to and out of than our previous Model S. Not sure why. It certainly isn't too small for someone of reasonably tall size.

I'm 6'1 and find the back seat of Model S with All Glass Roof to be really comfortable. An S with Pano roof however is another story and I hit my head in the roofliner.

Have you tried a Model S with the All Glass Roof? That should be the one that should be compared with Model 3, because the Model 3 doesn't have the option to open the roof either.

6’5” (and wife is 6’3”). Rear-view mirror is typically my nemesis with all cars. In my S, no seat positioning (all the way down; most/all of the way back; seat back inclined as far back as I can but yet comfortably handle the steering wheel and allow room for kids behind me) can remove the slight blind spot I have in the forward/right field of view. The fixed mirror housing is not something I can have found a way to work around. Demands I do some slouching when I need to check my “1:30”. Assuming with the front-facing cameras and housing in the Model 3, it will be the same problem. Any comments on S vs. 3 mirror position/field-of-view obstruction?

Ok, I'm a 6' 8" X owner and 3 reservation holder. I scrolled through all the posts and didn't see my question so here it goes. When I got a loaner S to drive awhile back, I noticed that I had to pivot around the B pillar for ingress egress because the seat is so far back (think left hip). Is this an issue on the 3? Initial reports sound encouraging but nothing definitive. Surprising cuz I don't have to do it on the X. Thx

Ok, I'm a 6' 8" X owner and 3 reservation holder. I scrolled through all the posts and didn't see my question so here it goes. When I got a loaner S to drive awhile back, I noticed that I had to pivot around the B pillar for ingress egress because the seat is so far back (think left hip). Is this an issue on the 3? Initial reports sound encouraging but nothing definitive. Surprising cuz I don't have to do it on the X. Thx

Fellow 6'8"er here, I do not recall a B pillar issue from my brief test fit. My shoulders likely would have let me know if it was in the way, previous car was the 2 door version of the Cobalt specifically due to B-pillar location.

I'm 6'1 and find the back seat of Model S with All Glass Roof to be really comfortable. An S with Pano roof however is another story and I hit my head in the roofliner.

Have you tried a Model S with the All Glass Roof? That should be the one that should be compared with Model 3, because the Model 3 doesn't have the option to open the roof either.
No. I had a Pano Roof on my S. I actually found the ingress/egress of the door portal to be worse for me on the S for some reason. Maybe I sat lower in the S than the 3?