Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could take up to 7th July apparently !!

Weird when it's not that far away now. Mine says up to the 2/7

Annoyed that Jeda haven't email back yet, as I could cancel depending on what they say and buy Dave's above (nice trip to Oxford supercharger or try and convince the in-laws to meet him there before they come down at the weekend) - might tweet them as they seem fairly active on there.

Reactions: Chalks99
The pitch for rail freight from China is that it's half the price of air freight and faster than sea freight...and is only 15 days, according to Taptes.
Let's have a look...
Sea freight is around $0.2 per kg from China to Europe, rail freight is around $0.6 – 0.7 per kg and air freight is around $3.6 per kg.
Sounds good... BUT it would appear that a packet on the China to Europe cargo train goes through about four customs controls before it arrives at the final stop in Belgium to be forwarded to UK or France Germany etc.
China, Russia and then Belarus (and possibly Poland) all have to satisfy themselves that the packet is not some sinister substance. Then, Belgium has a go. Each stop takes about three days for the packet to clear. This administration does not appear to be included in Taptes delivery times. When you add it up, going by info on this thread, delivery is anything up to 100 days. Given the average weight of most items is about 2-3kg, it would only cost a tenner for air freight. However, Taptes seem to prefer to stick resolutely to 'free delivery' rather than offer the option of air freight at check-out. I have tried to suggest this to their lovely admin people but so far, it's a concept that has not been considered.
I therefore look forward to wireless charging in my M3 around mid-August...

Well my Jeda still hasn’t dispatched yet, they said there would be comms this week and an ETA, so have chased them again.

I know there’s still a day left, but they seem active enough on Twitter, they need to extend that to customer comms.

Mine is still in Shenzen waiting to catch the train on its weekly departure - Sunday.

China-Paris-train-300x200.jpg

Interesting (if you're in to trains) article about the uptake in rail freight from China due to shortages of sea and air freight availability due to Covid.

Xi'an to Europe rail freight services help meet COVID-19 demand

Does seem that the Taptes shipments are disembarking at each stop though, awaiting customs clearance then getting on the next train to pass through, which seems very inefficient.