Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

taptes gen 3 (15w) wireless charging pad: first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those app measuring on phone is very errononeous. (Ampere) They are calculating the voltages of the phone while your screen is on or running processes, like a net of electricity.
The way I test is by plugging in a USB meter showing amps x voltages. That's the only true way to see if these wireless adapters are picking up enough power.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
@crackers8199 I FINALLY got mine, like you said, took 1+ month to arrival from Shenzhen lol.

Okay so I also have the s20+. I'm testing it on my various USB bricks on the wall, not in the car because I need to see the watts going to it.

So sad thing is, it wont 15W fast charge the s20+. I'm finding out that fast wireless charging 2.0 is only supported with samsung wireless chargers. I have yet to find any info on any 3rd party that can support it.

As long as this wireless pad is hooked up to a PD or a Quickcharge usb power supply, ie a 12v car charger or a wall charger, then it output 10W with thermal throttling. My phone was pretty hot and it dropped 10W down to 5-6W mostly. I can post pics but who cares, just pics with volts and amps.

on QC3, it can supply 12v x 0.8ish amps
on PD, it does 9v x 1.1a.

What's your verdict on this pad @crackers8199 ? I enjoy my superfast usb charging in the car as well at 20-25W when less than 40%, but that means a cable and a connector sticking out. I guess I can't complain about 10W wireless charging.

the curved lip on this taptes is nice, it does let me fit my phone better than i thought. The tesla dock lip is too short anyways, this taptes phone bar thingy on the bottom gives me similar support. gotta close the lid when i floor it, otherwise phone will fly off.

my note 10+ fits vertically on the prior model so im cool.
when i get the 20 ultra that comes out in a few weeks i'll see how that plays out on this older model charge pad before diving in on the new one..
My Note 10+ only fits on the gen2 if I take the case off. Anyone know if the bigger phone fit vertically on the gen3 with case on?

Last edited:
Ultra does not fit with case veritcal, it has to be placed horizontal. Just got mine yesterday
Dang. If bigger phones with a case still don't fit and you don't get the full 15W quick charge they claim, then I see no reason to upgrade from my gen2 at this point. Thanks for all the informative info on this thread, I would have probably just bought it and then had to return it!

Dang. If bigger phones with a case still don't fit and you don't get the full 15W quick charge they claim, then I see no reason to upgrade from my gen2 at this point. Thanks for all the informative info on this thread, I would have probably just bought it and then had to return it!

note 10+ should definitely fit. the s20+ is only 0.4mm shorter than the note 10+ and the s20+ fits with a case on it just fine, with room to spare. i posted pics and videos on page 1 of this thread with my s20+ on it. that was the main reason i upgraded.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
@crackers8199 I FINALLY got mine, like you said, took 1+ month to arrival from Shenzhen lol.

Okay so I also have the s20+. I'm testing it on my various USB bricks on the wall, not in the car because I need to see the watts going to it.

So sad thing is, it wont 15W fast charge the s20+. I'm finding out that fast wireless charging 2.0 is only supported with samsung wireless chargers. I have yet to find any info on any 3rd party that can support it.

As long as this wireless pad is hooked up to a PD or a Quickcharge usb power supply, ie a 12v car charger or a wall charger, then it output 10W with thermal throttling. My phone was pretty hot and it dropped 10W down to 5-6W mostly. I can post pics but who cares, just pics with volts and amps.

on QC3, it can supply 12v x 0.8ish amps
on PD, it does 9v x 1.1a.

What's your verdict on this pad @crackers8199 ? I enjoy my superfast usb charging in the car as well at 20-25W when less than 40%, but that means a cable and a connector sticking out. I guess I can't complain about 10W wireless charging.

the curved lip on this taptes is nice, it does let me fit my phone better than i thought. The tesla dock lip is too short anyways, this taptes phone bar thingy on the bottom gives me similar support. gotta close the lid when i floor it, otherwise phone will fly off.

to be honest, i still haven't pulled the console and installed the 12v outlet up front, so i'm still charging from the front USB in the car...but it really hasn't bothered me all that much. once i install that outlet, the only real concern for me is being able to use nav on the phone (whether it's waze or google maps, since they both do a better job routing around traffic than tesla's nav IMO) and still have the phone charge at the same time. 10w should be good enough for that, as it was on the gen 2 when i had wires draped all over the front of the car to the 12v outlet just long enough to test it...if i really need a faster charge, i'll plug into the outlet directly.

when i tested it in the house with fast charging i didn't notice any temp issues, maybe i'll pull it out this weekend and try it inside again and see what happens. or maybe i'll actually pull the console and install the outlet this weekend...

@crackers8199 If you were in the bay area, I can help you install the 12v. but you're not near here. I have the tools, just need a harness and 12v adapter.

10W is fine. just know that even "fast usb charging" on the phone can do about 18W using QC2/3. the samsung PPS super fast charging can do 25W and 20W mostly. Just like the car, charges faster at the lower half of the battery pack. Once you're above 60%, it'll be slower like 8-10W USB charging no matter what special charger. If you're using navigation on the phone, don't expect the phone to charge up significantly during your drive. Maybe 1% per 10 minutes. rough random number.

The heat was due to the ambient temp being like 78-80deg indoor. I am being frugal by not using my AC. Also there's fires burning near so sparing the air.

• Informative
Reactions: crackers8199
@crackers8199 If you were in the bay area, I can help you install the 12v. but you're not near here. I have the tools, just need a harness and 12v adapter.

10W is fine. just know that even "fast usb charging" on the phone can do about 18W using QC2/3. the samsung PPS super fast charging can do 25W and 20W mostly. Just like the car, charges faster at the lower half of the battery pack. Once you're above 60%, it'll be slower like 8-10W USB charging no matter what special charger. If you're using navigation on the phone, don't expect the phone to charge up significantly during your drive. Maybe 1% per 10 minutes. rough random number.

The heat was due to the ambient temp being like 78-80deg indoor. I am being frugal by not using my AC. Also there's fires burning near so sparing the air.

appreciate the offer either way.

damnit, i forgot to buy the harness. so much for actually installing it this weekend (unless by some miracle amazon gets it here early saturday). although, better to have remembered that now than after taking the console out and drilling the hole.

need to get myself a hole saw, too...but that i can just run to lowes or HD for.

Last edited:
I bought through Amazon yesterday (Sat.) because A) It will be here Tuesday - possibly Monday as I'm near"ish" to a hub AND B) Easy no hassle return if I don't like it or it doesn't work well with my Note 20 Ultra. Easy choice for $46.21 all-in after tax.

You guys that ordered directly from Taptes, how long did it take your order to arrive? Mine shipped on August 7th. I was provided with two tracking numbers, one for outside of the US, and one for the USPS leg of the journey. The non-domestic last update was on August 13, showing that it had "departed." The USPS tracking number still tracks as "USPS awaiting package."