Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I reported my non-working version of this many posts ago. Figured with all this spare time i'd take it apart, try to get it working. The basic problem is that the interconnect between the 2 small pcbs isn't working - so i'll route some small wires to circumvent it.

One thing I discovered upon examination is that this thing isn't actually a hub - it's just a data router, and a unmanaged power sharing device. The data lines of the right USB hub in the car is wired directly to the internal USB port on the "hub", and the left USB port data lines on the car is wired directly to the Data & Power port on the device. The data lines on the 3 other USB ports aren't connected to anything. The power from the 2 ports is shared between all 5 USB outlet ports with no management. Typically with most hubs you have controller chips for managing both the power and data lines - on this device there are no chips except for two resistors on the USB C power lines.

Just so people know - this device will still work for lots of applications, but isn't a true hub in any way.

Just ordered the USB hub on 4/10.

Based on preliminary hearings, I guess I should expect at least a month for it to arrive. :(
Not necessarily. It took over a month for mine but they emailed me to apologize for the delay which they said was caused my the coronavirus shutdown there in Hong Kong. It did, however, take 10 days from the time it got to the US to get to me (customs, perhaps?).

Ok, I reported my non-working version of this many posts ago. Figured with all this spare time i'd take it apart, try to get it working. The basic problem is that the interconnect between the 2 small pcbs isn't working - so i'll route some small wires to circumvent it.

One thing I discovered upon examination is that this thing isn't actually a hub - it's just a data router, and a unmanaged power sharing device. The data lines of the right USB hub in the car is wired directly to the internal USB port on the "hub", and the left USB port data lines on the car is wired directly to the Data & Power port on the device. The data lines on the 3 other USB ports aren't connected to anything. The power from the 2 ports is shared between all 5 USB outlet ports with no management. Typically with most hubs you have controller chips for managing both the power and data lines - on this device there are no chips except for two resistors on the USB C power lines.

Just so people know - this device will still work for lots of applications, but isn't a true hub in any way.

Now you know why one of the Navak splitters costs almost as much as one of these "hubs" does :)

Is anyone finding issues with Taptes "hub" and dashcam viewer
SSD drive fat32 connected to the Taptes hub hidden USB port
running 2020.12.5

I'm getting random slow loading videos and random freezing while playing videos
Sometimes dashcam menu freezes
Removing Taptes "hub" problems disappear

Oddly enough, on another forum a person has been slamming my suggestion of the navak splitter, and praising the taptes "hub".

I just returned my navak splitter on amazon, I’m just tired of it not working randomly when getting in the car. I have to unplug it, wait a few and plug it back in for it to start working.
Funny enough I ordered the Taptes hub a long time ago and cancelled the order after month of delays so I can’t comment on the hub but their customer is crap. Had to file a refund with PayPal to get my money back after they wouldn’t reply to emails or refund me.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I just returned my navak splitter on amazon, I’m just tired of it not working randomly when getting in the car. I have to unplug it, wait a few and plug it back in for it to start working.
Funny enough I ordered the Taptes hub a long time ago and cancelled the order after month of delays so I can’t comment on the hub but their customer is crap. Had to file a refund with PayPal to get my money back after they wouldn’t reply to emails or refund me.

Navak is a user on here-based in the US too- if you have an issue contact him directly and he'll resolve it.

I've had mine basically since they came out and never had an issue with either FWIW.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
It's not the software version. It's probably a bad internal connection in the taptes, or a lousy usb port connection.
Looks like it's the the Taptes hub.
I pulled the Taptes hub out again and connected it to a laptop on left port and connected SSD to data and USB port
SSD isn't found, the SSD power LED comes on and off depending on how you hold the Taptes
seems like there is something wrong with the Taptes USB connection
Connecting the SSD directly to Laptop it's mounted straight away

There is no smarts inside the Taptes hub each port is just directly connected to each of the cars USB ports
left port - data USB-A, power USB-A
right port - power USB-A, power USB-C, Hidden Data USB-A

I

Jeda have any smarts inside it either?
Yes. Here's whats inside the Jeda -
IMG_7978.JPG
IMG_7986.JPG

..some nice looking power management and a controller chip (unlabeled) - a lot better than what is in most hubs. If you REALLY want I could shoot some pictures of the taptes boards, but that would involve me digging it out of the trash. See my post above - there's NOTHING on the taptes boards.

Yes. Here's whats inside the Jeda -
View attachment 533477 View attachment 533478

..some nice looking power management and a controller chip (unlabeled) - a lot better than what is in most hubs. If you REALLY want I could shoot some pictures of the taptes boards, but that would involve me digging it out of the trash. See my post above - there's NOTHING on the taptes boards.

99% of people aren’t going to care, either. I have no issues with the Taptes “hub.”

99% of people aren’t going to care, either. I have no issues with the Taptes “hub.”

Hmmm or people are just uneducated... I know I would prefer smarts over just some crossed/splitted wires inside a plastic aftermarket part that could overload or damage my Tesla.

Without knowing the smarts/build of Jeda i would think it has some sort of fail safe.