Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got one of the first run of flaky units. Got a new one shipped to me no problem which is working fine. If anyone wants the old one to play with let me know. I had some success with it using the plug/unplug/replug 50 times method, but requested a replacement anyway given the questionable quality on the first batch. If anybody wants it for cost of shipping it's better than the landfill.

Generous. I suspect someone will take you up on the offer!

the model y version states "all ports support power and data" the model 3 version is a little more vague.
Hopefully someone will do a teardown and post pics. There wasn't much that was vague after looking at the actual boards in the model 3 version - it called itself a hub but clearly wasn't. It was just false advertising. User ecoli posted pics of the board a few pages back, on page 17.

I don't remember what it said for the $25 version but it currently states:

5 Ports: 3 front USB-A for game controllers, wireless chargers, music, etc, 1 Type-C connector and 1 USB-A connector inside the secret compartment for Dashcam storage[/qoute]

To me that implies they changed the design to include a hub so all of the ports support data. However the picture still shows data + power and power only labels above the ports. That's what I meant by vague. Maybe conflicting is a better term.

There is no such thing as a usb splitter for data. you need a hub of some sort.
Check out the Navak. Splits the USB port to one for data and one for power. Have two and am very satisfied with the results. And @Navak is a fellow member here.

is there no way to edit posts?
There is within a time limit, though you may not have the ability to edit until you have a certain number of posts.

Taptes has lost my business. The first one they sent was broken out of the box, they said they will ship a replacement. OKay Good. That was 7 weeks ago... i followed up 5 weeks ago and they said to be patient. Honestly how long am i supposed to wait?

I've seen the navak. taptes is doing the same thing but in a better integrated case with a couple of more power ports.
I prefer the tapes solution myself.
They are very different devices. The taptes one just shares power across all ports. with no management - so if one or more devices hogs too much power, it might leave a usb drive on one of the data ports with no power. The Navak manages the power, so that there is always some power on the data port, even if something on the other port is trying to get all of it.

TAPTES Model 3 USB Hub, Designed for Tesla Model 3 Dashcam & Sentry Mode
Far cheaper than Jeda. Although I didn’t make it, you can thank me for pushing them to make it

I'm a newbie here, and don't even take delivery of my Model 3+ until September 15...but I'm getting several accessories in advance. Which USB Hub works and is recommended for Model 3s produced after June 20? And I don't understand the difference? I want to be able to use sentry with an SSD, charge phones, and play music on another USB.

I'm a newbie here, and don't even take delivery of my Model 3+ until September 15...but I'm getting several accessories in advance. Which USB Hub works and is recommended for Model 3s produced after June 20? And I don't understand the difference? I want to be able to use sentry with an SSD, charge phones, and play music on another USB.

Is wireless charging sufficient? If so they now comes in the car from the factory (and uses the front USB-C port)

That leaves you one USB-A front port. You have a few options there.

1) Partition your SSD with 2 partitions, one for dashcam and one for music.

2) Buy a 2nd gen Navak splitter- this provides in one compact package one SDcard slot (which you could use for music or dashcam), one 0.5 amp USB-A port (usable for a USB memory key, SSD, or game controller), and one 1.5 amp USB-A port usable for the same things as the other or also useful for a wired phone charging cable.

I have the original taptes hub and I really like it. it doesn't have the extra data ports but that doesn't bother me because I just use a flash drive for the dashcam. I like the fact that it is hidden.

If I had to buy another one, I'd buy the new and improved taptes one with the real hubs and 2 hidden ports. That seems like the best solution.