Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Model 3 USB Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although it doesn't say pre-order, the first bullet "Order today, shipped Mar 10th, 2020, free shipping worldwide" informs the buyer the product doesn't ship until March 10th. I'm pretty confident when I ordered mine weeks ago it was a late February date, so I knew I was pre-ordering even if it didn't use that phrase.
Yeah, it implies that now, but not when I ordered mine, at the bottom is says mine will be DELIVERED in 9 to 15 working days. This is normal for an overseas originated shipment. Technically most anything you buy on line could be considered a pre-order, because you are paying for it in advance of it shipping.

@Nuclear Fusion - I have to ask, what part of my post are you disagreeing with? Did I somehow lie? They said delivery in 9 to 15 working days, delivery, not shipping as it now says. Now it's going to be at least 3 1/2 weeks before it even ships ("i.e., ship after Mar 10") and shipping from China (ever heard the adage "slow boat from China?"), generally it takes 10 days minimum shipping time, which is in line with the minimum days they quoted me to ship, clear customs, and then be delivered. Based on my order date, mine should be "delivered" next week, now we're looking at quite possibly the end of March or maybe even the first week of April, depending on their backlog from their "Spring Festival Holiday" break.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
I was told in January when I ordered to not expect it till March. I don't even have a car to put it in yet so I am in no hurry. Maybe they will both arrive together :)

I did just receive that same email speaking to the delay which was nice of them to send out.

@Nuclear Fusion - I have to ask, what part of my post are you disagreeing with? Did I somehow lie? They said delivery in 9 to 15 working days, delivery, not shipping as it now says. Now it's going to be at least 3 1/2 weeks before it even ships ("i.e., ship after Mar 10") and shipping from China (ever heard the adage "slow boat from China?"), generally it takes 10 days minimum shipping time, which is in line with the minimum days they quoted me to ship, clear customs, and then be delivered. Based on my order date, mine should be "delivered" next week, now we're looking at quite possibly the end of March or maybe even the first week of April, depending on their backlog from their "Spring Festival Holiday" break.

It sounds like you are pretty mad about this. It's pretty much out of their hands and at the same time I think they probably wanted to get their products out asap too. However with what's going on with the COVID-19, I think selling and shipping a hub for EV owners in the US is the least of their problems. People are dying there and throwing a tantrum on this forum isn't going to get you your hub faster. Yeah shipping and delivery times can change when problems with logistics occur.

Your best bet is to cancel your order and never do business with them again if you really want to make it a point to them, as right now there is not much you can really do about it. I mean your other option is to go there and go knock on their doors and get them into the factories to make the hub. I would pack a bit more than just extra hand sanitizer though.

I purchased one of these from the first batch. Like many others I had issues with some of the USB ports not working. After contacting the company and getting a reply and telling me of some more troubleshooting to perform I never heard back from them after 2 subsequent emails they have ignored. I have now filled Paypal dispute.

Kinda sad that Jeda was renowned for having terrible customer service and now Taptes seems to be following in their footsteps.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
I finally got around to testing this and found much of the same as everyone else. I was able to get TeslaCam, USB audio, a gamepad, and two phones connected at the same time, but check out what happens if you try to connect two devices to the right USB-A and USB-C ports at the same time. It overloads the port and everything on that side stops working! As others have said, this thing should never have had a USB-C port on it and this just adds to the reasons why.

In the end though, as long as you understand what it can and can't do and stay within the limits, it does work fine, especially for the price.

Just ordered both wireless charger and hub. Their website for whatever reason declined two credit cards that have both worked today, but PayPal went through no problem. Sort of hard to know for sure what'll come when -- the hub page says "shipped Mar 10th," the charger page says "shipped from CA warehouse" and the order confirmation says "80% package now delivered in 9-15 working days."

So, something'll come at some point ... given my car's not due until at least the end of March, I suppose there's no rush!

Some of you people really need to give your heads a shake.

"Taptes isn't replying to me.. such poor customer service"...

Give me a break. Over 70,000 people are infected with the corona virus and close to 2000 people have already died!

Perhaps the Chinese have other priorities at this time and your $20 USB Hub is the least of their worries.

Personally, i had to wait a little longer but my First batch USB hub functions perfectly. Im not saying anyone here is lying about issues, but clearly it isnt every unit.

Just wanted to chime in on this as well. I received my hub around a week ago here, I ordered it 3 days or so after they released it. I decided to wait a week and actually use the hub before posting but its been functioning perfectly for me as well! Unfortunately it does sound like many people did not have that same experience but as stated in a few posts it isn't an issue with every unit

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in on this as well. I received my hub around a week ago here, I ordered it 3 days or so after they released it. I decided to wait a week and actually use the hub before posting but its been functioning perfectly for me as well! Unfortunately it does sound like many people did not have that same experience but as stated in a few posits it isnt an issue with every unit

Yep. I got mine within a week of others who got theirs early on, and mine's been no trouble. There's clearly a few limitations in terms of connections, but they don't affect me, and I don't think they will affect most people, either.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
So what's the consensus? You can't use the usbc port?

Can you plug in wireless charger and game pads?

USB-C is power only

Do not use the USB-C port and the USB-A port next to it at the same time or they will overload the port in the car. At best nothing works until one is disconnected, at worst permanent damage of the right USB port in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and house9
I get some ports are power only. I'm trying to confirm if gamepad joystick works though the hub? Do you use splitter to data port on hub for two controllers?

Just to be clear, a splitter takes one USB data port and gives you one USB data port and one USB power port, so that's not going to help with two controllers.

If you need 3 total data ports, you'd need use an additional USB hub connected to one of the two available data ports.

Or get the Jeda hub.

I only see one data port. On the hub. So another hub chained to this one allow two controllers? Is that verified by anyone. I want to plug in drive for sentry, wireless charger and game pads when kids want to play.

That's basically my setup. I use both power ports for the Nomad wireless charger, the internal USB port for my Sentry drive, and the left data+power port for a game pad. You could use a splitter cable for two gamepads, or a hub, I suppose.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
So what small USB-SATA cable are people using to connect an 2.5" SSD drive and keep it hidden? I've searched Amazon but the end plugs are too big as the SSD barely fits inside, without blocking the USB port.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations that you can give.
Stach