Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would need to use a small USB3 hub in one of the ports. I've seen a few people posting about the Sabrent 3-Port Aluminum Mini USB 3.0 Rotatable Hub that's available on Amazon. I have one on order that's due to arrive today.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B013XGK53E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Another vote for that unit. Looks and works well. Only bummer is that mine was clearly not new. Package opened, not clean. I wasn't too happy about that. But it works fine, and I'm not gonna hassle with the exchange.

Just ordered a Taptes charging pad for delivery to Canada, so I expect it'll turn up some time around mid-January. I've ordered from Asia before, it often takes quite a while...

I'll post some thoughts once it arrives. In the meantime, have a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Is USB 3.0 a requirement or is USB 2.0 sufficient? I thought the Model 3 ports were only USB 2.0 anyway.

I wanted something that was known to work with the Model 3 that's also small and not too expensive and this fits the bill. I suppose if you can find something similarly sized with USB2 it would work just as well.

You would need to use a small USB3 hub in one of the ports. I've seen a few people posting about the Sabrent 3-Port Aluminum Mini USB 3.0 Rotatable Hub that's available on Amazon. I have one on order that's due to arrive today.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B013XGK53E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I also bought this hub based on others recommendations, but also bought an in-line USB voltage measuring device to verify the power output.

Sad to say that the power output was significantly reduced through the hub. I haven't received the taptes charging pad yet, so the test was performed just with an iPhone XS Max and the stock Tesla charging cable.

With the cable, the phone was drawing 5V @ 1.5 amps = 7.5w.

Through the hub, the phone was only drawing 5V @ 0.5 amps = 2.5w.

Tesla OS 2018.42.3

I'm planning on returning the hub.

So I also bought this hub based on others recommendations, but also bought an in-line USB voltage measuring device to verify the power output.

Sad to say that the power output was significantly reduced through the hub. I haven't received the taptes charging pad yet, so the test was performed just with an iPhone XS Max and the stock Tesla charging cable.

With the cable, the phone was drawing 5V @ 1.5 amps = 7.5w.

Through the hub, the phone was only drawing 5V @ 0.5 amps = 2.5w.

Tesla OS 2018.42.3

I'm planning on returning the hub.
That doesn't surprise me. I use a hub to free up one of those data ports up front. But I sure don't use the hub for power. For power I brought 12V up to the front, and installed a high-power USB device.

Last edited:

This doesn't surprise me either, but in my case I only need the driver's side of the Taptes pad for wireless charging, so I'm ok with not having the full power of the passenger-side port. The Sabrent is mostly to allow me to have the dash cam USB drive plugged in and still have a couple of free ports for future use.

If you need both sides of the Taptes for simultaneous charging then the hub won't help things unless you get a powered one, perhaps something that can plug into the 12v outlet.

This doesn't surprise me either, but in my case I only need the driver's side of the Taptes pad for wireless charging, so I'm ok with not having the full power of the passenger-side port. The Sabrent is mostly to allow me to have the dash cam USB drive plugged in and still have a couple of free ports for future use.

If you need both sides of the Taptes for simultaneous charging then the hub won't help things unless you get a powered one, perhaps something that can plug into the 12v outlet.
Yeah, that's the perfect use of a data hub. You free up one factory port to use for charging, the other supports multiple data drives. Even though I now have two high-power USB ports up front specifically for charging, I'll likely use just one for one side of the charging pad, and the other for wired charging (when I want it faster, or when my passenger doesn't have a phone that will wirelessly charge).

My Taptes charger was delivered today. I ordered the V1 matte version. Quality seems pretty good. The matte surface is slightly rubberized and I think is more than enough in terms of it's anti-slip characteristics. It's not weighted like the Nomad and I don't think it is an exact copy, but is pretty similar (I have not seen a Nomad in person). I haven't had enough time to test out the charging speed, but below are some photos. They also included a free adhesive backed holder for the Tesla key card.

Thanks for this! Been on the fence about the Nomad one for a while, but I went ahead with the Taptes. I didn't see an option to pick the matte vs. shiny variant when I ordered. I'm assuming they ask after the fact?

Without a battery bank I’m afraid we are limited to 900ma out of usb3.0 hubs

A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

I still have not seen a test come back showing me that the USB ports are putting out 7.5w when using a cable either

Using a battery bank I am still only reading 500ma from the wireless pads on the Taptes.

Tested the Taptes directly plugged into the wall through a iPad charger (5.2v / 2.4a) and still 500ma

Last edited:
Without a battery bank I’m afraid we are limited to 900ma out of usb3.0 hubs

A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

I still have not seen a test come back showing me that the USB ports are putting out 7.5w when using a cable either

Using a battery bank I am still only reading 500ma from the wireless pads on the Taptes.

This is the measurement with the stock Tesla charging cable. Just took the pic.

Attachments

• 1C205642-BC7A-43A8-B436-F9AD4DBF87A8.jpeg
    1C205642-BC7A-43A8-B436-F9AD4DBF87A8.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 145
  • D3C92FC2-5362-4F34-B271-941E7B38ADB1.jpeg
    D3C92FC2-5362-4F34-B271-941E7B38ADB1.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 98
from my understanding the pads (taptes) are no different, and the Quick Charger ones just have a battery bank that feeds the coils. Either way Ive tried and i cant get more than 500mA from the wireless pads which isnt great.

I ordered a usb tester besides the iphone app and will continue testing, but 500mA wireless charging is basically worthless.

Just did a bit more testing and now im wondering if the level of the battery matters for the Watts it pulls from the USB.

iPhone Xr 70% charge
5.29w 4.99v 1.059amps from Model 3 usb

iPhone X 58% charged
8.14w 4.99v 1.629amps

He managed to pull 2.6amps before the USB reset.

The SOC of the phone's battery will definitely impact the current it draws. Much like the Teslas on Superchargers. They go really fast until the end where they slow for heat/safety/durability reasons. Phones are the same. They do NOT charge at the same rate from zero to 100%. Best is to try the test with the phone at something low... like 20% SOC.

Super video you posted of the testing of the ports! That's 13 flippin' watts!

Last edited: