Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fed up taking my VW Touareg whenever I want to transport bikes.

have an M3P so tow bar mount not an option and a rear mount tailgate rack will destroy boot spoiler in seconds....

so looks like roof bars are the only option

anyone any experience with the taptes ones, look considerably cheaper than Tesla’s, but there maybe a reason for that?

Attachments

• 16562146-1F60-40A8-8665-195DC33DA833.png
    16562146-1F60-40A8-8665-195DC33DA833.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Can’t help with Taptes sorry, but I thought it was worth noting I was looking at suction type such as the TreeFrog roof rack - this can then be used on any other car in the future albeit at a higher initial cost.

Works on most surfaces including glass.

Post here with Model X using on (with photos) Model X Roof & Hitch Box

Have a quick release front wheel on mine which makes it getting in my boot a lot easier!
You do still need to fold one seat down though.

Might be cheaper to buy a new folding bike compared to some of the options out there!haha

Not sure I would trust something like a roofrack that wasn't from a known brand (of roof rack makers). Bit worried that there is a bit more engineering and risk involved than most the taptes products.

I was waiting for a foot kit for my whisperbars, but gave in and ordered the tesla ones as I needed them in October. Rip off, but are guaranteed to work.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Not sure I would trust something like a roofrack that wasn't from a known brand (of roof rack makers). Bit worried that there is a bit more engineering and risk involved than most the taptes products.

I was waiting for a foot kit for my whisperbars, but gave in and ordered the tesla ones as I needed them in October. Rip off, but are guaranteed to work.
They look like clones of the Tesla roof bars. Might not have the relevant testing for the EU market though. Agree about sticking to known brands, I had a cheaper roof rack come off last year while driving, wasn't a fun experience.

I have no direct experience, but I watched a YouTube video earlier in the year comparing the Taptes one to the Tesla one. I’m struggling to find it again now, but the main thing I noticed was the metal fixtures that go under the glass didn’t look anywhere near as well made as the Tesla ones. Also the nuts that went on those didn’t torque up and lock as well as the Tesla ones.

Personally, I’m going to get the Tesla one given the way it attaches, any problems with glass I want to be able to go direct back to Tesla.