Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this been verified, or is it still just a rumor?
Starting in 2024, the Inflation Reduction Act establishes a mechanism that will allow car buyers to transfer the credit to dealers at the point of sale so that it can directly reduce the purchase price.

Not really any detail provided. They probably are still working on the mechanism for that. I would almost guarantee that you'd owe the difference back to the IRS if your tax liability is lower than $7,500.

Reactions: King David
Hello - I am waiting for the next gen Model Y and would like to avail $7500 rebate. My wife and I file jointly and are not eligible for the rebate since we make more than 300 k per year.
could my in laws buy this car in their name to avail this credit and transfer the registration at a later time ?
I dont see a way of leasing a Model Y and then having the manufacturer apply $7500 rebate like what other car companies do - apparently Tesla requires all of their lease vehicles to be returned after the 36 months

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback

I get your situation, but there are issues with the various different ways to accomplish this (insurance, DMV/titling, Tesla changing the name on the reservation, changing names on the car later, etc.)

Do your in-laws have at least $7500 in Federal tax liability? BTW, it isn't a rebate. They would need to have a tax liability of $7500 to get the $7500 back as a tax credit, and the IRS says you can't buy a car to get the credit and then sell it (which is what re-titling looks like), etc. Also, in order to avoid paying sales tax again when/if they transfer title to you, they would have to certify that the car is a family gift. There's a bit of dishonesty in those issues...

Sorry to mention this, but with much respect, maybe leave the tax credit for people who need the money so they can make an EV purchase? The income limits are there for a reason, not to skirt them...

Last edited:
Hi I have a question regarding 2023 tax rebate

i have purchased 2020 model 3 in 2019 october and received 1850 tax rebate

if i buy MODEL y this year , am i eligible for 7500 credit ?

Should i purchase on my wife's name

Thanks

Hello - I am waiting for the next gen Model Y and would like to avail $7500 rebate. My wife and I file jointly and are not eligible for the rebate since we make more than 300 k per year.
could my in laws buy this car in their name to avail this credit and transfer the registration at a later time ?
I dont see a way of leasing a Model Y and then having the manufacturer apply $7500 rebate like what other car companies do - apparently Tesla requires all of their lease vehicles to be returned after the 36 months

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback
With a little planning most can get their adjusted income below $300k. Buy some property. Invest into your retirement! Max 401k per person is $21k to $30k depending on your age.

I spoke with "my guy" about this recently to assure I get the full $7,500.

Hi I have a question regarding 2023 tax rebate

i have purchased 2020 model 3 in 2019 october and received 1850 tax rebate

if i buy MODEL y this year , am i eligible for 7500 credit ?

Should i purchase on my wife's name

Thanks
Your purchase back in 2020 has no impact on this years eligibility. If you meet the wage requirements, you're entitled to a credit of up to $7,500 during tax time. Do you and your wife file separately?

But you should also deduct the sales tax (6% in Florida) and DMV registration (1 to 2%), and also the Tesla $1,200 delivery).
If you have a high mileage, changing car so often would certainly be worthwhile.

Unfortunately, or fortunately not having a mortgage and relatively low real estate taxes the standard deduction far exceeds what I could claim by itemizing deductions so deducting sales tax etc won‘t work for us.

Unfortunately, or fortunately not having a mortgage and relatively low real estate taxes the standard deduction far exceeds what I could claim by itemizing deductions so deducting sales tax etc won‘t work for us.
If you’re retired, and you have a traditional IRA or 401k you can withdraw a large enough amount that puts you in a tax situation so that you would owe at least $7500, and you would then be able to take advantage of the EV credit.

You can also convert part or all of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. When you convert to a Roth IRA this would generate income, income tax. Later, when you withdraw money from a Roth IRA no additional tax would be owed. The conversion to a Roth IRA would also result in state income tax being due (depending on where you live.)

Reactions: dcfas
I find it hard to believe, but many people have told me no. These people purchased EV’s in the last few years and missed some or all the tax credit. As I understand it, in your example you lost out on the $3,500.

If I read the law on the IRS web site I’m 50/50.

I didn’t want to chance it, starting the 1st of this month I went exempt on my federal withholding. Right or wrong, everything will work out in the end.
Withholding is irrelevant to any rebate. It’s merely a “prepayment “ of taxes you will owe at end of tax year.

Reactions: EatsShoots