Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y coming soon. Just got VIN today. I am pretty sure ev credit is coming. How do I delay till after Jan 1st.

Or do I just take the car and miss the “potential” $8000 credit
I do not have the same optimism as you about that Build Back Better bill being passed before the holidays. The Senate has more consequential bills they need to pass to avoid disruption before they break for the holidays.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Have you tried calling to ask for a hold for sometime early next year stating that you were budgeting based on the original EDD? I think they are playing hardball with older orders that had been on hold for long periods of time. Given that you ordered in Aug with an EDD for early next year, they will likely be fine to put your order on a short hold.

They used to let you delay a few months and everything was OK. But now, from what I've read, you take delivery or they will cancel your order and keep your $100. It's also no sure thing the credits will make it through the Senate.
Based on everything I have read, this is not true. You can choose to delay delivery without problems, but if you delay it more than once or for many months you are subject to cancellation.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My understanding per the order agreement is that you would have to take delivery within 30 days. If, by some great chance, this bill was actually passed by the Senate, went through reconciliation and passed again, and was then actually signed into law before the end of the year- your 30 days would allow you to safely postpone until after January 1. And of course, some folks have had luck pushing back even farther, apparently.

But I would agree with Crimson that the chances of this bill passing by the end of the year are slim. And things could change a lot in there by the time it does pass- if it ever does.

Still, I would kick myself if I lost out on a $7000-8000 tax credit for next year because I couldn't bear to wait a few weeks. Which means I'd be kicking myself- as I don't have that kind of willpower. 🤣

Looks like they consider the tax credit as part of a US protectionist policy (only U.S. built vehicles would be eligible for the $12,500 credit after 2027, under a House proposal).

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A proposed U.S. electric vehicle tax credit is "discriminatory" and Mexico is analyzing a range of legal actions in response that may include tariffs, Mexican Economy Minister Tatiana Clouthier said on Thursday.

They used to let you delay a few months and everything was OK. But now, from what I've read, you take delivery or they will cancel your order and keep your $100. It's also no sure thing the credits will make it through the Senate.

This is not correct. Looking into the order agreement we see:

Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will no-fy you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our no-fica-on or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first aMempt to no-fy you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee. If you wish to pick up or take delivery of your Vehicle in a state where we are not licensed to sell the Vehicle, or if you and Tesla otherwise agree, Tesla will, on your behalf and at your cost, coordinate the shipment of your Vehicle to you, generally from our factory in California or another state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle.

What it means (and I have confirmed with SA since I'm also interested in holding off till Jan) is you can ask your SA to put you on hold for up to 30 days 'no questions asked' and then you will press 'I'm ready' button in your account and will be back in queue. My assumption is if you get a VIN and hit pause till Jan - your VIN will be assigned to someone else and will not wait for you.
SA said that you will be in a general line but I assume it may be also some priority line since you technically already got car once.

Reactions: mwdietertg
Looks like they consider the tax credit as part of a US protectionist policy (only U.S. built vehicles would be eligible for the $12,500 credit after 2027, under a House proposal).

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A proposed U.S. electric vehicle tax credit is "discriminatory" and Mexico is analyzing a range of legal actions in response that may include tariffs, Mexican Economy Minister Tatiana Clouthier said on Thursday.

The made in America portion, yes. We already have an existing EV tax credit that all carmakers except GM and Tesla are eligible for.

All BBB needs to do is remove the Made In America section and change it to Made in NAFTA (or whatever it is called now)... US/Canada/Mexico and it would be acceptable.

Reactions: advocate8
assumption is if you get a VIN and hit pause till Jan - your VIN will be assigned to someone else and will not wait for you.
This is correct

SA said that you will be in a general line but I assume it may be also some priority line since you technically already got car once.
I'm currently in this situation, and it doesn't feel/seem like I'm in a priority line.

OD 7/28, original EDD 11/18-11/20. Put on hold 11/14 only for 1 week because I was out of town and couldn't take delivery (they wouldn't the car for me) now my EDD has swung wildly from 3/28-4/24, to 1/1-1/28, to 12/3-12/16, and now back to 1/2-1/30. I am fully expecting it to change and get pushed back further.

The EDD is influenced by your configuration and also I have to assume by your location too.

My config is MYLR 7seater midnight silver black int 20in induction no tow. It seems like MYP are flying off the lot faster than MYLR, and I can only assume that things like the 7seater and induction rims add time to the order.

My lesson learned is "don't delay your order"

Reactions: wkramer28451