Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is correct

I'm currently in this situation, and it doesn't feel/seem like I'm in a priority line.

OD 7/28, original EDD 11/18-11/20. Put on hold 11/14 only for 1 week because I was out of town and couldn't take delivery (they wouldn't the car for me) now my EDD has swung wildly from 3/28-4/24, to 1/1-1/28, to 12/3-12/16, and now back to 1/2-1/30. I am fully expecting it to change and get pushed back further.

The EDD is influenced by your configuration and also I have to assume by your location too.

My config is MYLR 7seater midnight silver black int 20in induction no tow. It seems like MYP are flying off the lot faster than MYLR, and I can only assume that things like the 7seater and induction rims add time to the order.

My lesson learned is "don't delay your order"
I put my MYP order on hold yesterday, and my SA confirmed that I will stay in front of the queue. I'm assuming if I click on the "I'm ready" button, it will not take so long (about a week from other people's past experience) for me to get a VIN.

I put my MYP order on hold yesterday, and my SA confirmed that I will stay in front of the queue. I'm assuming if I click on the "I'm ready" button, it will not take so long (about a week from other people's past experience) for me to get a VIN.
My personal take is that you'll probably get your car faster than others, specifically because you're getting a MYP. vs. MYLR.

FWIW my SA told me somewhat of the same thing, that "it takes 3-5 days to receive a car" but didn't specify how long it takes to get re-matched after you "unhold". The SA didn't specify, and frankly my current experience right now is that it seems like the SA either doesn't have control of the matching and/or isn't attempting to get me matched earlier.

I am guessing that I am going to be waiting until at least January to take delivery of my MYLR, which is so infuriating considering I was originally scheduled to take delivery on 11/18. I may be waiting up 2 additional months for my car. Such a poor buying experience.

The senate version that came out of committee over the weekend left in the
$4,500 additional for US-built, union-built cars Manchin wants out. He may not make that a priority as he has much bigger fish to fry and so it may somehow skate by. but I doubt it. He has Toyota in his state.
One serious DC media report said Senate is unlikely to cut out the $4,500 entirely and may just change it to US built (union or not) getting the entire $12,500 amount before sending the bill back to House.
House may or may not like that. But now among the various plausible scenarios, including Manchin shooting the bill down entirely, is a full $12,500 credit for Model Y’s and M3 LR or Standard delivered after Dec. 31. That would be huge. My money is more likely on Manchin shooting down much or all of the bill and it getting delayed at best but who knows.

I asked them nicely to delay car till Jan 5th as it is in late this week. The responded with we gave to next customer and gave me April 5th date. That is fine as it is closer to when I will need it.

Do they hold my price from August or reprice me?
I'm in same dilemma, my vehicle is on the way, scheduled to arrive at the dealer on December 26. I was told by SA I would need to take the delivery within 3 days. Only way to extend it to next year is to give up my VIN and wait for next round. I have until December 24th to decide if I want to let go of my VIN. I'll keep you guys posted...

Even if it did, I would be super skeptical about it retro-applying to beginning of the year. I would consider this bill in it's current form, essentially dead.
Yup. I guess my point was... I have an EDD of no sooner than March 12, so I'm good for a Jan. 1 credit but who knows now.
The wording of the draft law built around Jan. 1 gave people like me a framework for making a decision about when to accept delivery, whether they could wait that long etc.
Now, some refresh of the tax credits for Teslas is still possible (thought probably not likely) but even that tiny percent change of a yes doesn’t have any date it is tied to, so nearly everyone is going to just throw up hands now and say, give me mine as as soon as possible.
Except uhhhh... those poor folks who will prob surface by January or February wanting to delay in hopes an Austin-made Y, or in hopes of the fabled 4680 batteries, etc.

Even if it did, I would be super skeptical about it retro-applying to beginning of the year. I would consider this bill in it's current form, essentially dead.

It would be terrible for it to be retroactive to Jan 1st. It would screw thousands of EV buyers who bought under the old rules and suddenly get their tax credits taken away - Polestar 2 buyers, new PHEV owners, etc.

For what benefit? To give Tesla + Bolt owners who bought between Jan 1st and signing date - the credit. Yeah, not happening. I don't think the Bolt had it's stop-sale lifted yet either.

Seems like this will never end. Surely, soon after I pick up my MYP, the tax credit will go into effect, retroactively starting the day after I pick up my car.

Biden and Manchin speak

The conversation ended with a sense that negotiations would, in fact, resume around the Build Back Better Act in some form in the new year. The tone of conversation was cordial and it was agreed that they would speak again on legislative priorities.

I just want to mash that “I’m Ready” button, but I know if I do I’ll get a car tomorrow and wake up to a WaPo story about a new negotiated deal to pass something in the new year. More likely… my car comes months from now and no deal passed. I think I’ll just sit tight for another 10 days…

I just want to mash that “I’m Ready” button, but I know if I do I’ll get a car tomorrow and wake up to a WaPo story about a new negotiated deal to pass something in the new year. More likely… my car comes months from now and no deal passed. I think I’ll just sit tight for another 10 days…

Might as well wait until Feb/March until there is a more definite resolution. No guarantee the BBB bill will be retroactive to Jan 1st... especially if it drags on until Feb.

Might as well wait until Feb/March until there is a more definite resolution. No guarantee the BBB bill will be retroactive to Jan 1st... especially if it drags on until Feb.
True, but I think I’ll hedge under the possibility that if something does pass it will be effective Jan 1, even if passed later. That’s when most tax related laws are effective and how the current House bill is written. I’m afraid I’ve gone from optimistic to pessimistic on a bill though. Thus my desire to just mash that button. It’s only 10 days though!

Reactions: advocate8
True, but I think I’ll hedge under the possibility that if something does pass it will be effective Jan 1, even if passed later. That’s when most tax related laws are effective and how the current House bill is written. I’m afraid I’ve gone from optimistic to pessimistic on a bill though. Thus my desire to just mash that button. It’s only 10 days though!
I’m hoping but not holding my breath that they will make it retroactive.

I've been pushing my delivery since last October in the hope of getting the tax credit. Looking at the latest information, I'm not sure what to do. If I press the "I'm ready button" on Dec 1st, what are my chances of getting the car delivered in the first week or two in January? I live in the Bay Area if it matters.

I've been pushing my delivery since last October in the hope of getting the tax credit. Looking at the latest information, I'm not sure what to do. If I press the "I'm ready button" on Dec 1st, what are my chances of getting the car delivered in the first week or two in January? I live in the Bay Area if it matters.
I’m confused. If you are still waiting to press I’m ready on the 1st… ain’t you waiting a little long? It’s the 20th today.
Last week I got a text that they are building my car and to reply December to take delivery this month. I was out of town and replied delay for two days. On the third day I pressed I’m ready. Now I’m pushed out to Feb.
I should of taken the red pill🤪

Retroactive will anger thousands of EV + PHEV buyers (that lose credits in 2022 when they assumed old rules were in place) in exchange for pleasing Tesla and Bolt buyers. The fairest method is to make the bill effective on signing.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
I’m confused. If you are still waiting to press I’m ready on the 1st… ain’t you waiting a little long? It’s the 20th today.
Last week I got a text that they are building my car and to reply December to take delivery this month. I was out of town and replied delay for two days. On the third day I pressed I’m ready. Now I’m pushed out to Feb.
I should of taken the red pill🤪
Maybe, but I would assume I would get assigned any cars that gets out of the factory. This is what happened to me when I did buy 2018 Model 3...

If I click "I'm ready" will I get assigned a VIN? If I get it, can I still push the delivery?

Retroactive will anger thousands of EV + PHEV buyers (that lose credits in 2022 when they assumed old rules were in place) in exchange for pleasing Tesla and Bolt buyers. The fairest method is to make the bill effective on signing.
Nothing tax related is ever effective on signing. It is almost always retro to the start of the tax year or some arbitrary date in the future. Have to look at the bill in total though and what they are trying to accomplish to determine which way they are likely to go. If it stays packaged as the BBB currently is then I expect it to be retroactive to 1/1. Since they need it to go through reconciliation to pass with a simple majority then this is the way it is most likely to happen. Republicans are not going to support a standalone bill that goes against the coal miners and coal rollers and that would be needed to get 60 votes on a standalone bill. Also, the only people hurt in this instance are people who exceed the income cap, which the Dems will argue is counter to the point of the bill and the income cap is already pretty high so not a huge number of people affected.

So what would make it be effective in the future? If it isn't done in the first 2 weeks of January I think it will be rewritten almost entirely and at that point it is unlikely for it to pass at all and if it does it is a crap shoot whether or not the EV credits will stick. Manchin is either 100% that this will never pass or he is using this as a leverage tactic to get something that Biden refused to give him during negotiations. If that is the case this will be renegotiated very quickly and passed in some form in the next 3 weeks. IMHO.