Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question pertains to taxes and how they’re applied. I plan on purchasing the m3 sr+ in California. Are taxes calculated with the purchase price of the vehicle( ex: $39,990) or after incentives ($34,990)? Thanks!
It depends if those incentives are a factory discount or an after purchase rebate or tax credit. Most states charge sales tax on the actual purchase price Not the net after incentives.

But California? Who knows.

Upvote 0
It depends if those incentives are a factory discount or an after purchase rebate or tax credit. Most states charge sales tax on the actual purchase price Not the net after incentives.

But California? Who knows.
Tesla's don't have discounts, the price on the window sticker is the price. State rebates would never be counted against the price for purposes of figuring the tax, state's aren't crazy. The tax will be on the full price including the destination charge.
I don't know how CA handles software. I'm in MA and I bought FSD a few minutes after Tesla had registered the car. By doing that the car became eligible for the state rebate which is capped at $50K and it wasn't figured into the sales tax at the time of registration or into the value of the car when they calculate the annual excise tax. I'm not sure if there was a sales tax on the FSD purchase, I don't remember.

Upvote 0