TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Techical problem in less than 36 hours of Model S ownership??!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ltk87, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ltk87

Ltk87 New Member

Picked up our new 2016 Model S, at 7 pm on Tuesday, worked great until this morning. I now have an error that says all auto drive features unavailable contact Tesla if persists. This includes no cruise control. Called roadside assistance, they had me do a reset and power off the car. Still have the same error. They called back several hours later telling me they will need to schedule an appt and likely have it several days because they believe the front camera has failed. The car has less than 500 miles, is this common for the model S? Not impressed so far.

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

First I have heard of a front camera issue.

Might be a simple fix.

3. Ltk87

Ltk87 New Member

Hope so, but support didn't make it sound like a quick fix. They did tell me they'd come pick the car up since the closest service center is over 2 hours from my home. They to,d me free pick up is available for 90 days. That seems like a short timeframe if I can't count on the car to run for 36 hours! Very frustrating after much excited anticipation of the Model S.

4. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

Had this problem 3 or 4 times and it always went away after powering the car down and restarting. After the 3 time, they checked the logs (I was 800 miles from home) and determined the camera was at fault. Others have reported it's either a calibration issue with the camera or the camera itself. Mine was the camera and they sent a technician to the house to replace it. Took a couple of hours and no problems since. If they're offering to come pick it up, you might press them to just send a replacement and a technician instead.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. First time I recall seeing a post on TMC like yours. Tesla will fix it.

6. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I've heard this can happen if the camera is obstructed or dirty...

7. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

It happens to me if I turn the car on facing the sun or another bright object. One the car is powered off and I get out for twenty minutes it's fine again. Sometimes it will happen after I manually stop a summon.

• Like x 1
  8. Ltk87

Ltk87 New Member

Each time it happened after the car sat out in a parking lot, on a clear but cold windy day for 30-60 minutes. Both times the car was parked far away from buildings or other cars to avoid door dings. Seems a car this expensive should be able to sit outside in the wind for an hour without cruise and autopilot failing!

• Like x 1
  9. Ltk87

Ltk87 New Member

Tesla will come pick it up next week and provide me a rental while they work on it. Not a Tesla rental though!

10. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

^THIS. I never park facing the sun. I frequently get "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" if I do. And, I agree...it takes a 15-20 minute "cool down" or recalibration period facing away from the sun to get it to reset.

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Be sure to let us know what the issue ends up being.