Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tein EnduraPro Plus - Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to revise this statement after taking a tour of some of Arvada Colorado's crappiest roads on the MPP comforts. The small bumps are quite a bit harsher, and I would say a little bit unpleasant and more jarring than the tein shocks with stock springs. Closer to the wooden ride of the stock shocks. The wife noticed from the passenger seat too. The MPP comforts handle the big bumps like a champ, but the small bumps are worse.

I'm definitely less satisfied than I was 24 hours ago.
You may like the Tein flex Z’s. Spring rate softer than stock and rides like a dream even at 6 clicks open from full stiff (16-way adjustable)

Reactions: y3llow
I would like to revise this statement after taking a tour of some of Arvada Colorado's crappiest roads on the MPP comforts. The small bumps are quite a bit harsher, and I would say a little bit unpleasant and more jarring than the tein shocks with stock springs. Closer to the wooden ride of the stock shocks. The wife noticed from the passenger seat too. The MPP comforts handle the big bumps like a champ, but the small bumps are worse.

I'm definitely less satisfied than I was 24 hours ago.
Thanks for testing all the different suspensions!

I had Koni Yellows in a E46 M3 and a Mini Cooper S before. Both cars with fairly stiff springs. The Koni adjustable yellows managed to smooth out the small bumps and handled the big ones in 1 smooth motion. Hopefully something like that comes along for the Model 3.

You may like the Tein flex Z’s. Spring rate softer than stock and rides like a dream even at 6 clicks open from full stiff (16-way adjustable)
How long have you had the Flex Z's? There are certain roads in my hood that are just a patchwork of potholes, half-assed pavement repairs and big expansion cracks. Does this sound like good territory for the Flex Z?

Right now I'm juggling either Tein Flex Z's or Unplugged performance "Mild" dual rate springs with my Tein Endurapro Plus shocks and some sort of home-brew lift puck to bring the ride height up to stock. I don't think I'll keep the MPP's long term.

Reactions: y3llow and XPsionic
How long have you had the Flex Z's? There are certain roads in my hood that are just a patchwork of potholes, half-assed pavement repairs and big expansion cracks. Does this sound like good territory for the Flex Z?

Right now I'm juggling either Tein Flex Z's or Unplugged performance "Mild" dual rate springs with my Tein Endurapro Plus shocks and some sort of home-brew lift puck to bring the ride height up to stock. I don't think I'll keep the MPP's long term.
I have only had them for ~ 4-months now about have put about ~6k miles on them in that time. From the sounds of your environment you may need a shock that has a lot more travel than normal as those types of road surfaces would eat up a lot of travel when driving. I cannot attest to the travel the Flex Z's have but what i do know is that under normal driving scenario's the Flex Z's are damn smooth.

Reactions: y3llow and blvckm3
Thanks to @Heckraiser and this thread (along with a million other threads on TMC), I have decided to take the plunge to modify my car for the first time in my life. (Don't know why but I have had good handling cars for a while and never went down the mod route.) The core of this is the Tein EnduraPro Plus, so not sure if I should continue my discussion on this thread or start a new one... Opinions welcome. Car going to the shop on Thu!

Reactions: tm1v2
I have also changed the setting back to a stiffer front (8) and kept the rears at 14. This seems to have eliminated pretty much all the unsettled float-ness and body roll (not that it was bad, but it was definitely worse than stock at 14f/14r). At this setting I would say there is no handling detriment at all compared to stock, with a noticeable (but not drastic) improvement in ride comfort by the seat of my arse.

Are you sticking with these settings? Just got these on my MY @ front 8 rear 12.
Overall not a huge difference, maybe 20% better than stock. Thinking I want to go softer already, but where I live all my local roads are extra *sugar*, so might be making it floaty on the highways 🤔

This thread has been an emotional roller coaster. First I was surprised to find this thread then I was excited about the results. Next I was dismayed with the long term findings. Now I'm confused about my initial excitement.

Anyway, I went with bigger tires (255/50R19) in pursuit of a more pleasant ride around the Boston suburbs. It has been a good upgrade mostly in road noise reduction and a some cushioning on the smaller bumps. However, I still feel the suspension is way too jittery and want to tame it. I don't want a Camry ride. I want a slightly softer GTI ride (my trade in for the Y) and keep my bigger tires and stock ride height. Will the Tien EnduraPro give me that GTI-like ride? Or do I have to look at coilovers?

This thread has been an emotional roller coaster. First I was surprised to find this thread then I was excited about the results. Next I was dismayed with the long term findings. Now I'm confused about my initial excitement.

Anyway, I went with bigger tires (255/50R19) in pursuit of a more pleasant ride around the Boston suburbs. It has been a good upgrade mostly in road noise reduction and a some cushioning on the smaller bumps. However, I still feel the suspension is way too jittery and want to tame it. I don't want a Camry ride. I want a slightly softer GTI ride (my trade in for the Y) and keep my bigger tires and stock ride height. Will the Tien EnduraPro give me that GTI-like ride? Or do I have to look at coilovers?
I'd wait for Koni to come out with their products, they're definitely high quality and I've had 3 sets in 3 different cars, all with better ride + handling as the result.

Reactions: GOVA

It should help with the ride quality but don't expect too much of difference. Have you tried to sound deadening the car? Sometime it is the noise makes you feel like the suspension is too stiff. Tesla is known of having bad sound deadening.

Haha, welcome to my life. I think I'm putting the Teins and stock springs back on today if I have time. Might try unplugged mild + teins down the road.

Like @hek8560 said, don't expect to have your mind blown, but for the low cost of entry, it might be worth it for you. If you're looking for a sporty GTI ride (I actually haven't driven a GTI, but I can imagine it's probably similar to an Si), you may still like the Teins a little firmer setting that I set mine up.

Also like hek8560 said, some of the harshness I was perceiving may be related to road noise (particularly the loud kerTHUNK emanating from the rear whenever I drive over a crack). Suspension will only do so much with that but the Teins did help a little. I've also done a fair amount of sound deadening with very minimal results. These cars are just loud!

Last edited:
Haha, welcome to my life. I think I'm putting the Teins and stock springs back on today if I have time. Might try unplugged mild + teins down the road.

Like @hek8560 said, don't expect to have your mind blown, but for the low cost of entry, it might be worth it for you. If you're looking for a sporty GTI ride (I actually haven't driven a GTI, but I can imagine it's probably similar to an Si), you may still like the Teins a little firmer setting that I set mine up.

Glad to hear this. What is the setting you have decided to use at this point? Thanks!

I put them back on yesterday and set them to 9 front 13 rear. Coming straight from the MPP coils, it definitely feels a little soft and floaty. Since I have a SR+ (no rear swaybar), I may think about adding a rear swaybar to get back a little bit of that handling prowess I got from the MPP's.

If you're looking for a sportier ride, something like 5 front/8 rear might be a good starting point. When I initially set them up at 8/8, they rode a little better than stock on most surfaces and didn't give up any sportiness at all, in fact probably handled a bit better than stock.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic and tm1v2
I put them back on yesterday and set them to 9 front 13 rear. Coming straight from the MPP coils, it definitely feels a little soft and floaty. Since I have a SR+ (no rear swaybar), I may think about adding a rear swaybar to get back a little bit of that handling prowess I got from the MPP's.

If you're looking for a sportier ride, something like 5 front/8 rear might be a good starting point. When I initially set them up at 8/8, they rode a little better than stock on most surfaces and didn't give up any sportiness at all, in fact probably handled a bit better than stock.
I'm very curious to see what you think about a rear sway bar in a SR+, tag me if you ever install it! IMO the car feels quite neutral stock but it definitely doesn't have any oversteer tendencies even regen braking mid corner with the stock suspension. I'd love a more neutral feeling car that is more adjustable mid corner, but also am a bit worried about the stock non defeatable DSC cutting in and making the car feel worse when pushed.

The popular aftermarket computer box performance boost has a DSC off mode, unfortunately that also turns off regen and that's no good for how I want to drive and use my car.

Interesting thread. I put the MPP comfort non-adjustables on my M3P hoping for something close to a Koni Yellow feel I loved on my older beemer. Not the case, my experience matches Heckraiser pretty much to the T. I do find that dropping the tire pressure to 38psi helps a ton with the small bump harshness. I do agree they handle big bumps well. They corner great. I still feel like I'm driving a slammed car even though I'm close to factory ride height (set them up at max height to be as close to stock height as I could).

Then lo and behold I find out today that Koni is about to release the yellows for the Model 3/Y:

It's either that or try and get lucky with a used Redwood Ohlins kit. Albeit, I now don't know if I trust everything I've been reading on this forum about coilovers given my experience with the MPP "comforts".

_MK

(I'm new to the forum and can't edit a post I just submitted, pending mod approval so I'll add more in a separate post)

The MPP spring rates are stiff, moreover, to get close to the factory ride height you have to preload the springs a ton (you turn in the adjusters, effectively compressing the spring with the shock at full extension). That's probably a factor in how stiff it rides at full extension. By this logic if you were to lower your ride height and "slam" the car you will probably arrive at a smoother ride which is totally counter intuitive.

Likely the relatively short suspension stroke for the Model 3/Y forces a high spring rate which makes it challenging to arrive at a good street ride quality.

(Jacking up my old beemer I had to raise the car a ton before the wheels left the ground, with the Model 3 they come off quick.)

_MK

Reactions: SQ97 and Heckraiser

I wonder how these settings translate to the MY....forget if they use the same part or not. Im thinking of going from 8/12 to 10~12/14.
I emailed TEIN who suggested trying out front + rear at 8 clicks first... But in the end just followed the recommendation from zevcentric to set the rears more soft 🤔

I wonder how these settings translate to the MY....forget if they use the same part or not. Im thinking of going from 8/12 to 10~12/14.
I emailed TEIN who suggested trying out front + rear at 8 clicks first... But in the end just followed the recommendation from zevcentric to set the rears more soft 🤔
I’m running the Flex Z’s a couple clicks softer in the rear too. 6 clicks open from full stuff up front and 8 clicks in the rear. Still a tad bit of bounce coming off speed bumps in the rear so I’ll adjust one more click stiffer.

I would caution opening up the dampers too much, while it may be softer, the oscillations after road imperfections will become more apparent

Reactions: after-dark
Interesting thread. I put the MPP comfort non-adjustables on my M3P hoping for something close to a Koni Yellow feel I loved on my older beemer. Not the case, my experience matches Heckraiser pretty much to the T. I do find that dropping the tire pressure to 38psi helps a ton with the small bump harshness. I do agree they handle big bumps well. They corner great. I still feel like I'm driving a slammed car even though I'm close to factory ride height (set them up at max height to be as close to stock height as I could).

Then lo and behold I find out today that Koni is about to release the yellows for the Model 3/Y:

It's either that or try and get lucky with a used Redwood Ohlins kit. Albeit, I now don't know if I trust everything I've been reading on this forum about coilovers given my experience with the MPP "comforts".

_MK
Thanks for the review. I was never convinced that a comfort oriented suspension should lower the car or have non adjustable dampers. Hopefully the Koni Yellows and Reds will be the ticket to better ride quality.