Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koni - Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) and Sports (Yellow) - Coming Soon for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, earlier today I reached out to Koni to ask if they had any plans to introduce any dampers for the Model 3 and Y in the Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) or classic Sport (Yellow) lines as I have used both in the past on other cars and been reasonably pleased (first "stock replacements" I ever thought made a noticeable positive difference on the two cars I ran them on). Their (FAST!) response is below...along with a couple of pics!

COMING SOON: Both are in the works and still in early stages of pre-production as vehicle fitment and ride testing are mostly complete. We are hoping that these will be available to dealers later this summer or early fall.

Koni Special Active - Tesla.jpg

Koni Sport - Tesla.jpg

Unknown. Normally, they provide dampers that work with the factory springs. However, they do offer "kits" for some cars where they pair with springs (typically Eibach).
Yeah I got them on a VW years ago and used factory springs. Will be interested to see what Koni comes out with. I am milling over having the MPP kit installed.

Can't wait. The oem Tesla dampers are too stiff for smaller bumps.

I loved the classic yellows in other cars, better ride and better handling, plus they're adjustable. Had the fsd version in a Mini but thought those were a bit aggressively valved for lower frequencies.

Definitely will be following this. Would put them on in a heartbeat for my 3. MPP or UPP is more than I want to spend on my daily driver. Koni normally knocks the price/performance balance out of the park.

Hit me up first! I’m on stock dampers w UPP sport springs. Ride is just as harsh as it was in June 2020 when I took delivery - looks better but rides harsh.

And now don’t really want to spend the $$ on coil-overs. Strut/shock replacement sounds magical but there are not any good options right now.

This is great news! I opted for the MPP comfort coilovers (non-adjustable) on my M3P hoping for that balance of street comfort and performance and I'm quite disappointed. The MPPs give an impression of belonging on a slammed car with their very high spring rate and relatively short stroke per bump. The Koni Yellows on my E46 were a dream (factory sports springs) in contrast.

_MK

Looks like a direct competitor to the drop-in Tein Endurapro dampers... which really improve ride quality. Hope the pricing is similar! (~$650)
You know of anyone running the Endruapros? I see a lot of the guys on Endurapro plus, but not the base one. Maybe I hold off on upgrades until Koni releases their shocks and someone volunteers to be a guinea pig and test them!

Now you tell me, after I've swapped out my suspension 3 times! I'm going to have to buy a professional wall-mounted spring compressor :eek:

:edit: I only see AWD shocks in the photos. Hopefully that's not an indication they plan to neglect the RWD crowd.

So far I've settled on stock springs and Tein adjustable shocks, but there is definitely room for improvement. I found the MPP comfort coilovers tamed the large bumps really well, but did not improve over stock when it comes to the small bumps and cracked pavement. I've run Koni yellows on other cars in the past and I believe the Koni is a superior shock compared to Tein.

Reactions: SQ97