Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tein Flex Z front shock mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my RWD, Tein recommended settings was a bit too low for me (around 1 finger gap).
Super helpful sir - thank you for the reply! I see that the RWD lowering is little more substantial in the front than the AWD variant. I'll install to the recommended height and go from there.

1670259004494.png

Anybody know if these can be cranked all the way up to a factory ride height?

:edit: just saw the chart above, so you must lower the rear at least 0.7"? I guess you'd probably want to lower the front too just so they match. Hmmph.

So just installed these the other day and they were great! I wanted to lower the front another .5 inches today and did so by loosening the bottom lock ring (the ring that is located on the bottom of the shock) and then turning the whole assembly with the spanner wrench on the lock ring where the spring is. I made sure that everything is tight, and when i went for a drive, you can now hear a "binding" noise that is happening on both front shocks...mainly when i turn left and right...is this a preload issue? Mainly being a too much vs too little preload issue? This only started coming about after i lowered the front more by .5 of an inch.

So just installed these the other day and they were great! I wanted to lower the front another .5 inches today and did so by loosening the bottom lock ring (the ring that is located on the bottom of the shock) and then turning the whole assembly with the spanner wrench on the lock ring where the spring is. I made sure that everything is tight, and when i went for a drive, you can now hear a "binding" noise that is happening on both front shocks...mainly when i turn left and right...is this a preload issue? Mainly being a too much vs too little preload issue? This only started coming about after i lowered the front more by .5 of an inch.
Could you send us a photo of your current ride height?

The binding is at the spring/perch interface. Ensure spring and the spring perch/seat are clean (no oil, lubrication, etc). Even shoot some brake cleaner and clean up well. You actually want maximum friction on that interface.

You may be able to add some pre-load to spring also. Not sure what the directions say as far as how much to initially pre-load the spring. If you really want you can also create a rough surface finish on that spring and and perch with some sandpaper.

Tein coilovers are JDM style system (pros and cons) that use threaded body height adjustment perch with a seperate adjustable spring preload perch. Youll have to play with that right balance of height adjustment perch and preload perch. Just be careful of going too far with only the height adjustment perch so you dont bottom out. Do incorporate some pre-load.

Disclaimer: I am speaking from my use and experience with JDM style coilovers from 2 decades ago. I do not own the Teins on my Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: canasion35
The binding is at the spring/perch interface. Ensure spring and the spring perch/seat are clean (no oil, lubrication, etc). Even shoot some brake cleaner and clean up well. You actually want maximum friction on that interface.

You may be able to add some pre-load to spring also. Not sure what the directions say as far as how much to initially pre-load the spring. If you really want you can also create a rough surface finish on that spring and and perch with some sandpaper.

Tein coilovers are JDM style system (pros and cons) that use threaded body height adjustment perch with a seperate adjustable spring preload perch. Youll have to play with that right balance of height adjustment perch and preload perch. Just be careful of going too far with only the height adjustment perch so you dont bottom out. Do incorporate some pre-load.

Disclaimer: I am speaking from my use and experience with JDM style coilovers from 2 decades ago. I do not own the Teins on my Tesla.
Thank you for the advice it is greatly appreciated! Once I get back home today I’ll give it some more preload and see where it lands me.

As for photos of current ride height, here are a couple quick ones while my wife is grabbing our dog some little shoes. Hiking day!

Attachments

• 9ADAF4BE-D137-4287-8481-9167011FCD10.jpeg
    9ADAF4BE-D137-4287-8481-9167011FCD10.jpeg
    904.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 4194A40C-2FA6-4BA9-B335-054B254647AC.jpeg
    4194A40C-2FA6-4BA9-B335-054B254647AC.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 261
  • F9556B0B-16F7-4A6D-BFB7-DFD5F225C3A9.jpeg
    F9556B0B-16F7-4A6D-BFB7-DFD5F225C3A9.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 05CDB99B-2E07-4C45-B803-B3FEDAA2B8A4.jpeg
    05CDB99B-2E07-4C45-B803-B3FEDAA2B8A4.jpeg
    738.8 KB · Views: 238
  • FC0C5DE3-4694-4410-85A1-036616EBF195.jpeg
    FC0C5DE3-4694-4410-85A1-036616EBF195.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 222
Looks like there is still plenty of thread left to go lower I assume. I think I will go these route and try these as well. Was originally going to run MPP Sport Adjustables for my 3 being that I had MPP Comforts for my MYP. I'm on springs now but want to bring it down just a tad more and have a tighter ride while less roll. Lowering springs even with sway bars just can't provide that.

Looks like there is still plenty of thread left to go lower I assume. I think I will go these route and try these as well. Was originally going to run MPP Sport Adjustables for my 3 being that I had MPP Comforts for my MYP. I'm on springs now but want to bring it down just a tad more and have a tighter ride while less roll. Lowering springs even with sway bars just can't provide that.
Yeah there is room to go lower for sure in the front and rear...once my TE's show up i will be lowering both the rear and front more also. In all honesty these Tein's work for me for the price - let's me spend more on a wheel set while still being a solid kit; i don't track the car so i just want a smooth ride while being low. I had H&R lowering springs beforehand and the increased damping (set at 8/16 clicks open) is a world of a difference so far...no bounce and far more settled.

Reactions: Clun9 and brancky3
Yeah there is room to go lower for sure in the front and rear...once my TE's show up i will be lowering both the rear and front more also. In all honesty these Tein's work for me for the price - let's me spend more on a wheel set while still being a solid kit; i don't track the car so i just want a smooth ride while being low. I had H&R lowering springs beforehand and the increased damping (set at 8/16 clicks open) is a world of a difference so far...no bounce and far more settled.
For sure, 19x9.5 et25 TEs would fit very well. I have 19x9.5 et25 Gram Lights right now but want to find a set of ZE40s or CE28Ns in similar sizing and offset. Super hard to do so, but one can hope. These Teins sound like a good alternative.

Just installed on my Y. I went completely max low in the rear and it seemed to drop about .7 from stock performance so I lowered the front coilovers .7 lower and it seems to sit pretty good. My 20mm spacers come on Friday! So far the ride is so smooth even though it’s lower and handles like it has so much less body roll.

I put on my uberturbines to see what I like better.
I have just ordered these for my MY!

Could you let me know what damper rate you set them too please? I want maximum comfort, but I’m not sure if setting them to their softest might cause the ride to be under damped.

Also, did you leave the spring compression just as it is set from the factory?