Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tein Flex Z front shock mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t the teins have an option to include the control arms? It comes out around 1500? Is that the right thing to get?
I think you are confusing top hats with control arms. I can't find any indication Tein sells control arms, and if they did, $300 would be a hell of a deal.
You really don't need front or rear camber adjustments on the Model 3 unless you are really chasing massive drops or the last tenths on a race track.

I think you are confusing top hats with control arms. I can't find any indication Tein sells control arms, and if they did, $300 would be a hell of a deal.
You really don't need front or rear camber adjustments on the Model 3 unless you are really chasing massive drops or the last tenths on a race track.
ok i see what you are saying.
I was talking about rear camber arm.

its the selection here:

i have the MYP. i saw in some other threads that the front/rear camber wasn't too out of alignment with the teins, but if it helps increase tire life, i would consider getting it.

$1500+install has to save a LOT of tire life to be worth it.
Enjoy the increased handling you get with the camber increase you get with shocks.
@gearchruncher The rear camber arm option @perplex1 linked to only adds $395 to the price, for about $1500 total including the coilovers.

@perplex1 Since you have a Y I suggest asking the camber question in the Model Y forum. State exactly what wheel-center-to-fender height you'll be aiming for with the coilovers. (It doesn't matter which coilovers or springs you are using to lower, the alignment effect of lowering to a given height will be the same.)

Probably someone on the Y forums will know offhand how much camber your target ride height will likely result in (for a Y, not a 3). Then you can decide if adjustable camber arms will be worthwhile. $395 is cheap compared to tires, so if you're going pretty low, it seems like an easy purchase to me.

That said, unless you're really wanting the lowered car look, you might as well stay close to stock height if the Teins allow it. Lowering will be detrimental for street driving from most functional perspectives (including performance, ride, cost, and practicality). Also the lack of photos of Tein's camber arms is slightly concerning. Have you come across any writeups from anyone using them yet? How do their adjustments work? Hopefully they're fine but you might be a guinea pig. :)

i saw in some other threads that the front/rear camber wasn't too out of alignment with the teins, but if it helps increase tire life, i would consider getting it.
@gearchruncher The rear camber arm option @perplex1 linked to only adds $395 to the price, for about $1500 total including the coilovers.
He specifically mentioned fixing rear AND front camber. Which is why I said $1500- that's the cost of front and rear arms.
Kinda weird to just mess with the rears if you are worried about tire life.

That rear camber arm on ZEV's page is not Tein's- it's an MPP arm. They are just packaging them. It increases the package cost by $395- exactly the cost of a MPP camber arm. Does ZEV know something about why the rear camber change isn't OK but the front is?

Interesting world when 4 coilovers are $1,100 and two camber arms are $400.

He specifically mentioned fixing rear AND front camber. Which is why I said $1500- that's the cost of front and rear arms.

That rear camber arm on ZEV's page is not Tein's- it's an MPP arm. They are just packaging them. It increases the package cost by $395- exactly the cost of a MPP camber arm. Does ZEV know something about why the rear camber change isn't OK but the front is?

Do these cars gain more rear camber than front when lowering?

I think the only coilover that is $1100 for the MY or Model 3 is the Teins. Everything else with adjustability in dampening are around 3K whether MPP or Ohlins. As good as the Teins are on my Model 3, I still want them to be stiffer, more like the MPP Comfort Adjustables on my MYP.

Don’t the teins have an option to include the control arms? It comes out around 1500? Is that the right thing to get?
You’re talking about the zevcentric website? You can add them to the package. The reason I didn’t add them was because they didn’t have the black color in stock. They only had the blue. I know you’re probably not going to see it but I just didn’t want blue parts clashing with the red paint and the green coils. Again I know you won’t be seeing them but I’ll know they’re there lol

I went with the polished rear camber from unplugged performance. A little more pricey but I like the polished look better.

Should have all the parts in this week and will try and get them installed asap so I can share photos, measurements and feedback on my ride settings.

• Love
Reactions: perplex1
I think the only coilover that is $1100 for the MY or Model 3 is the Teins. Everything else with adjustability in dampening are around 3K whether MPP or Ohlins. As good as the Teins are on my Model 3, I still want them to be stiffer, more like the MPP Comfort Adjustables on my MYP.
Are you still 5 clicks out from full stiff on your Flex Z's? I am at 6 clicks out from full stiff and quite like it for a daily. I personally think it could use more damping so i may go to 4 clicks out from full stiff but i dont want to sacrifice road manners too much.

Are you still 5 clicks out from full stiff on your Flex Z's? I am at 6 clicks out from full stiff and quite like it for a daily. I personally think it could use more damping so i may go to 4 clicks out from full stiff but i dont want to sacrifice road manners too much.
Yah I am still there, haven't found the time to adjust it. I think I will try to go to maybe 3 from full stiff or maybe even just full stiff. Although its extremely compliant, I just find that I do want a tad more rebound.

Yah I am still there, haven't found the time to adjust it. I think I will try to go to maybe 3 from full stiff or maybe even just full stiff. Although its extremely compliant, I just find that I do want a tad more rebound.
Let me know what you end up doing! I think @P3D-R has some experience with the Tein's but im not sure if he has dealt with the Flex Z's in particular.

ok i see what you are saying.
I was talking about rear camber arm.

its the selection here:

i have the MYP. i saw in some other threads that the front/rear camber wasn't too out of alignment with the teins, but if it helps increase tire life, i would consider getting it.
I consider rear camber arms compulsory because they only take a few minutes per side to install when doing coilovers that we wouldn't even charge if we provided the parts. It always sucks when we get to alignment and then the customer realizes he should have gotten the camber arms except now we have to pull the wheels, install the rucas, then set it up for alignment again. At that point he's lost half the cost of the camber arm. It also sucks when people don't do it and one side is more sunken than the other or your tires wear unevenly or the car understeers because you have more camber in the rear than the front.

I just pulled the Flex Z's off my 3 and put them on my Y to test them out. I have alignment sheets showing stock straight from the factory, a minimal drop of half an inch, and another one at one inch. My 2023 MYP had a starting height of 415mm hub to fender for reference front and rear.

At half inch -1.8 degs, at 1" I had -2.5 and -2.0. Tire preservation is everything when you want to reduce your long term costs of ownership. This is why I am a firm believer that rear camber arms are a serious wallet life saver.

I know this is the wrong forum but just responding since this data will apply to the 3 as well but it's more exaggerated on the Y for some reason. I see a lot of people say it's not necessary but imo that's subjective. I / We have aligned hundreds of lowered 3's and Y's so I have hard data. There are very very few occasions where the car doesn't need them. I'm talking less than 5%. There is some minor movement due to larger slots for rear camber but it's not variably adjustable like an eccentric bolt. For that reason we just assume it's not adjustable since the movement is very minimal anyway.

Another thing people should note is that your ride height is very dependent on camber as well. If you set your ride height evenly before alignment but then at alignment one side needs more positive camber adjustment than the other it will sit higher. I'll put a video out on that to help quantify it at some point.

Stock Y rear camber
1673831654603.png

Y rear camber at half inch drop, customer car
1673831702341.png

Y rear camber at one inch drop
1673831631253.png

• Love
Reactions: petabb and perplex1
Let me know what you end up doing! I think @P3D-R has some experience with the Tein's but im not sure if he has dealt with the Flex Z's in particular.
I have a ton of experience on the Flex Z's. I was probably the first one outside of Tein's independent testing to receive the kits for testing. I just didn't talk about them because I go through a serious vetting period before opening up about anything. I had them on the model 3 for 5 to 6 months and now have them being tested on the Y. I do believe that the Teins are the #1 in this price range hands down. On the Model 3 I would say that in the $2500 to $4000 price range the MPP Adjustables take the cake and they are at the lower end of the spectrum. I have no doubt in my mind about this if you stick to specific ride heights and don't slam your car.

Hopefully I've answered your question above with links to the alignment sheets but in short

1. The front camber has very minimal change between stock height and a 35-40mm drop. Maybe one degree over that distance. So if stock is -0.5 you might end up at -1.5 on an AWD 3.

2. The rear being multilink however sees a huge camber change over minimal lowering.

It's quite interesting that the front of our cars is very Macpherson strut like when looking at the lack of camber gain under compression. For this reason a FUCA is not needed unless you want to gain more negative camber imo but a rear camber arm is very much necessary if you want to save your tires on a street car.

Sadly I cannot answer your question about why coilovers cost X, although the Tein MSRP is $1250, and the billet rear camber arms are $395. I mean that applies to all billet adjustable arms of quality on the market. The ones that are cheap are just threaded tubular steel. The MPP arms are made in Canada and are my absolute favorite to work with. They come preset to factory length and are very easy to adjust. The pinch bolt mechanisms have always been my favorite. They make it so easy to keep the bearings centered when getting things tightened up.

Reactions: Theraven
I have a ton of experience on the Flex Z's. I was probably the first one outside of Tein's independent testing to receive the kits for testing. I just didn't talk about them because I go through a serious vetting period before opening up about anything. I had them on the model 3 for 5 to 6 months and now have them being tested on the Y. I do believe that the Teins are the #1 in this price range hands down. On the Model 3 I would say that in the $2500 to $4000 price range the MPP Adjustables take the cake and they are at the lower end of the spectrum. I have no doubt in my mind about this if you stick to specific ride heights and don't slam your car.
That is awesome Rishie - I do have a question for you. On the Flex Z's i am trying to balance out the rear to front damping. I feel like the rear is over dampened compared to the fronts at 6 clicks open from full stiff on the front and rear. Have you played around with the damper settings to find that perfect ratio?

That is awesome Rishie - I do have a question for you. On the Flex Z's i am trying to balance out the rear to front damping. I feel like the rear is over dampened compared to the fronts at 6 clicks open from full stiff on the front and rear. Have you played around with the damper settings to find that perfect ratio?
I would set the rear softer by 2 to 3 clicks and see how that works for you. I rarely find on these types of coilovers that you can run the same clicks front to rear. I always find that a faster rebound works better in the rear. MPP on the other hand works great at similar values front and rear.

Hey guys. Maybe one of y’all can help me out with this. None of the alignment shops seem to have the original spec for alignment for the model y. Everyone keeps telling me to take it to Tesla for the alignment but I really don’t want pay their prices. The shops did say if I can provide an original spec sheet so they can use it for reference, they can do the alignment. Can any of you share that sheet? Thank you

Hey guys. Maybe one of y’all can help me out with this. None of the alignment shops seem to have the original spec for alignment for the model y. Everyone keeps telling me to take it to Tesla for the alignment but I really don’t want pay their prices. The shops did say if I can provide an original spec sheet so they can use it for reference, they can do the alignment. Can any of you share that sheet? Thank you
aren't these it under the model y manual?

(Wheel Alignment Values (Factory))