Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me this isn't the final steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok the Scion xB only has a central gauge cluster...
2015-scion-xb-interior-3.jpg

Toyota Yaris
2009-toyota-yaris-3dr-hb-auto-s-natl-dashboard_100249286_l.jpg

Toyota echo
autowp.ru_toyota_echo_4-door_6.jpg

Toyota Prius
76325606.jpg

Saturn Ion

80074438.jpg
What is cheap weird cars no one likes, Alex?

(Maybe the Prius)

Ok OP I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking it myself. Here's a model S steering wheel for comparison.

From what I can see the model 3 wheel will have two little scroll wheels and no buttons. Perhaps I've gotten to used to the luxuries that come in my 25k Japanese econobox but I was hoping for some buttons for things like next song, or turn on cruise control or Bluetooth etc, etc.

I'm bracing myself for comments on how you don't need it because of the touch screen. The S/X has an even bigger touch screen and has some extra buttons on the wheel. Just slap the same S/X steering wheel on there, save some money by reusing the same wheel and I'm fine. Don't intentionally neuter the wheel like you've been doing most other things.

And continuing with my thought about the weird air vents, anyone else notice that Tesla's cars are morphing into weird mobiles?

One of the very common compliments Tesla got when the Model S was unveiled was how ordinary the car was. Sure it had gorgeous lines, but everything else about it was ordinary, which was a good thing. A normal sized front (even though it didn't need the space), a normal hatchback, normal seats inside.

Since then, we've gotten falcon wing doors, which can be very annoying. Door handles that you have to PRESS hard (and tell your friends how to open). Second row seats that don't fold flat. Weird buttons to open falcon wing doors that no one knows how to use. An all glass roof that lets in more heat than a regular roof and more glare than many people can tolerate.

Model 3 is going to continue this glorious tradition with air vents that look awful and might be impractical. A floating screen that just looks weird. Much less storage than even the tiny Chevy Bolt.

And the next car, a smaller crossover is rumored to have falcon wing doors too.

Tesla is very much in danger of losing the plot line...

is this not a bright T logo? how much more dressed up do you expect a steering wheel to be with fluff?
I'd rather It feels right than has extra chrome trim View attachment 228775

18738720_10213290431883156_7616830130447163714_o-jpg.228775

Ok OP I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking it myself. Here's a model S steering wheel for comparison.

From what I can see the model 3 wheel will have two little scroll wheels and no buttons. Perhaps I've gotten to used to the luxuries that come in my 25k Japanese econobox but I was hoping for some buttons for things like next song, or turn on cruise control or Bluetooth etc, etc. I'm bracing myself for comments on how you don't need it because of the touch screen. The S/X has an even bigger touch screen and has some extra buttons on the wheel. Just slap the same S/X steering wheel on there, save some money by reusing the same wheel and I'm fine. Don't intentionally neuter the wheel like you've been doing most other things.

upload_2017-5-28_21-11-49.png

From what I can see the model 3 wheel will have two little scroll wheels and no buttons. Perhaps I've gotten to used to the luxuries that come in my 25k Japanese econobox but I was hoping for some buttons for things like next song, or turn on cruise control or Bluetooth etc, etc.

I'm bracing myself for comments on how you don't need it because of the touch screen. The S/X has an even bigger touch screen and has some extra buttons on the wheel. Just slap the same S/X steering wheel on there, save some money by reusing the same wheel and I'm fine. Don't intentionally neuter the wheel like you've been doing most other things.
Well the 4 buttons are for next/previous track on left, then voice/menu on the right. They can probably replicate that with the scroll wheels and clicks.

Edit: the picture is low resolution, but it seems on the Model 3, there are two things on the left and right of each scroll wheel that might be able to function as extra buttons. We'll see I guess.

Last edited:
Well the 4 buttons are for next/previous track on left, then voice/menu on the right. They can probably replicate that with the scroll wheels and clicks.

I just can't see why they're making a steering wheel that seems more basic than their existing lineup. I mean it would have been cheaper to just buy more of the model S steering wheel and put it on there than design something new.

I don't want to jump to to many conclusions without having more info, but on the surface it feels like they're just going to add one more row on that S/X comparison - Model S, advanced Steering Wheel / Model 3, basic Steering wheel.

I just can't see why they're making a steering wheel that seems more basic than their existing lineup. I mean it would have been cheaper to just buy more of the model S steering wheel and put it on there than design something new.

I don't want to jump to to many conclusions without having more info, but on the surface it feels like they're just going to add one more row on that S/X comparison - Model S, advanced Steering Wheel / Model 3, basic Steering wheel.
I don't see having 4 more buttons (assuming it does, again we haven't seen how the new scroll wheels work or if they have hidden buttons or maybe are even quad directional) will qualify as an advanced steering wheel. As long as the same functions are replicated in an intuitive manner, then I don't think it matters that much.

I mean it would have been cheaper to just buy more of the model S steering wheel and put it on there than design something new.

I'm not sure that is true when you will be buying 5-10x as many steering wheels for the Model 3 than the Model S/X. For example if it costs you $10k to redesign the steering wheel to save $5/each you have saved $90k after the first 100k cars.

I'm not sure that is true when you will be buying 5-10x as many steering wheels for the Model 3 than the Model S/X. For example if it costs you $10k to redesign the steering wheel to save $5/each you have saved $90k after the first 100k cars.

Not to mention that Tesla probably is buying the steering wheel off the shelf from a manufacturer anyways. (Uh, it would cost a lot more than $10K to redesign a steering wheel for a car...)

Not to mention that Tesla probably is buying the steering wheel off the shelf from a manufacturer anyways. (Uh, it would cost a lot more than $10K to redesign a steering wheel for a car...)
Just to play devil's advocate, okay let's say it cost as much as million and you could save the same $5 or even $10..... Multiply over only the 400k pre orders.... Worth it.

But yeah that steering wheel sucks! I don't see any stitching I hope Rubbermaid didn't win contact to be the supplier!

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Anyways, going beyond the steering wheel, I'm guessing we are seeing the rumored "invisible" air vents
which are all the way across the dash. I wonder how that's going to work?
When you first get in a stinking hot car, you want to feel a powerful blast of AC air, which comes from a vent.
If the whole dash is a long vent, you won't be able to get concentrated air,
nor be able to easily have more or less air to the driver or passenger.
My be something similar to the Dyson's Bladeless Fan?
5a839c2445e95737bf498393924aee36.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what the international legality is of having no speedometer directly in your field of view

A dash speedometer isn't directly in your field of view when you're driving. It's below it, and you have to glance down from the road and through the steering wheel to see it. I test drove a Prius a while back, and the central speedometer it had was more in my FOV because it was higher up.

I would need a test drive to know for sure, but I've long suspected the center screen only won't be a big deal on the 3 solong as the UI is well implemented.

Last edited: