Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I put it on because I want to reduce the chance that I get pulled over. Do you play the lottery? Because every encounter with a law enforcement officer is one more chance for an accident to happen. I had a State Patrol pull his loaded weapon on me because their computers had erroneously listed my motorcycle as stolen. Do you think the safety was engaged? Of course not.

That said, I do think the nose of the Model 3 begs for something up there. I might find a decal I liked if not for the plate.
Luckily no police officer has ever pulled a gun on me. I'm not sure what the consequences of not having a front license plate is around here. It could be a fix it ticket or a normal ticket from what I hear.

I'm not sure what the consequences of not having a front license plate is around here. It could be a fix it ticket or a normal ticket from what I hear.

Here in California it is a fix-it ticket. You will need to take it to a law enforcement agency to have them sign it off. A CHP office will sign off any ticket without charge. Some police agencies will charge you a fee to sign off on a ticket that they didn't write (my last front license plate ticket was written by the LA Metro Rail Police, and my local police department wanted $25 to sign it off). But once you've gotten it signed off, there is still a fine, $15 if I remember correctly.

Having said that, I've been driving for over 40 years in California, >80% of the time without a front plate. I've received one ticket while driving, and that was out in the boonies, and I think the CHP officer was just bored, or he figured I was not a local (I was towing my travel trailer) and he wanted to mess with me. I've received three tickets while parked, all in Caltrans Park-n-Rides, or at the Metro Rail train station. And all three were within the last 36 months. Hence, my desire to have a "pop-on, pop-off" plate solution. When I park in one of these lots, I pop my plate on with the suction cups. When I drive, I pop it off and put it in the trunk.

I did concede to putting a front plate on the cars that my kids drive on a daily basis. Figured I didn't want to give our local rozzers a reason to pull a teenager over just because......

Keith

Here in California it is a fix-it ticket. You will need to take it to a law enforcement agency to have them sign it off. A CHP office will sign off any ticket without charge. Some police agencies will charge you a fee to sign off on a ticket that they didn't write (my last front license plate ticket was written by the LA Metro Rail Police, and my local police department wanted $25 to sign it off). But once you've gotten it signed off, there is still a fine, $15 if I remember correctly.

Having said that, I've been driving for over 40 years in California, >80% of the time without a front plate. I've received one ticket while driving, and that was out in the boonies, and I think the CHP officer was just bored, or he figured I was not a local (I was towing my travel trailer) and he wanted to mess with me. I've received three tickets while parked, all in Caltrans Park-n-Rides, or at the Metro Rail train station. And all three were within the last 36 months. Hence, my desire to have a "pop-on, pop-off" plate solution. When I park in one of these lots, I pop my plate on with the suction cups. When I drive, I pop it off and put it in the trunk.

I did concede to putting a front plate on the cars that my kids drive on a daily basis. Figured I didn't want to give our local rozzers a reason to pull a teenager over just because......

Keith
Good to know that it's a fix-it ticket.

The parking situation is why I wanted a temporary solution. SF is notorious for finding any excuse to hand out parking tickets.

No, I put it on because I want to reduce the chance that I get pulled over. Do you play the lottery? Because every encounter with a law enforcement officer is one more chance for an accident to happen. I had a State Patrol pull his loaded weapon on me because their computers had erroneously listed my motorcycle as stolen. Do you think the safety was engaged? Of course not.

That said, I do think the nose of the Model 3 begs for something up there. I might find a decal I liked if not for the plate.

Why wouldn't you put the license plate on if you didn't have to?