Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at this as a solution to mount my front license plate and leave it there except when I wash my car. I don't want to stick the license plate holder on, and then try to get the bugs off around it. Do you think it will hold my license plate on pretty much full time? FWIW-I live in Denver and do have snow.

Some more notes for people using this solution: the 1/4" drill bit is a very snug fit. I had to move the drill in a circular motion to make the hole a just a bit wider in order to fit the suction cups through. The plastic on the license plate holder is very soft and easy to manipulate. A needle nose pliers helped pull the suction cup up enough to get the plastic stop bars inserted.

One of the suction cups was defective, too: no hole, so I had to drill a hole through the stem. For under $1.00 I'm not going to complain. Results are just like the photos from chronopc. I'm about to do a freeway test!

I'm curious if this PPF solution works if I already have XPEL clear bra on the bumper?

I have the same concern, I'll be asking my PPF installer next week about this. I also have ceramic on my PPF so its an extra whammy.

I suspect that it would interfere because the force required to remove one PPF might be hard enough to remove the underlaying PPF as well.

I tried those small suction cups too. They are pretty good, but the smaller size tends to weaken after a few days. Then when you give it just a little pull,they come right off. - Ready to fall off. I moved to this and used a lightweight plastic plate. The suction cups are larger (about 2") and fit snugly in the slots. Holds well. I don't want it on there permanently, but I've left it on for a week and its still tight and hard to pull off. Someone commented that the suction cups will get old and weaken and not work after a while. I believe that to be accurate and I have started saving for another set at $ 4.95 in case I need them.
Suction Cup Plate.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: THX723 and Jedi2155
Don't confuse the different purposes of these separate solutions. One is a permanent or more permanent installation.
The suction cup solution is meant to be temporary installation. Like in a airport parking lot or on street parking.