Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Front License Plate Solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my Nextdoor feed** is lit up with the TX Storm Troopers saturating here, several squad cars and even a motorcycle. I assume because we've had 2 fatalities on the local stretch of highway in under 2 months (plus probably putting the fear of the law in people ahead of the drinking season). And of course they're handing out front plate tickets, too. Because "safety" or something? :rolleyes:

** For those unfamiliar with Nextdoor think Facebook, with all the vileness, bile, and insanity that implies, but your "Friends List" came with your house and as such is immutable unless you or they move.
From what I understand front license plate has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with cities losing out on toll.

From what I understand front license plate has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with cities losing out on toll.
Yeah, I understand it to be more used parking garages, or at least old-style it was. Time's passing that reason by as far as I can tell.

If'n your a rebel trying to beat any contemporary automated highway toll you have to defeat the rear license plate photo read, too. They take a shot coming and going.

Yeah, I understand it to be more used parking garages, or at least old-style it was. Time's passing that reason by as far as I can tell.

If'n your a rebel trying to beat any contemporary automated highway toll you have to defeat the rear license plate photo read, too. They take a shot coming and going.
In CA you can drive a new car for 3 months before attaching your license plates. So you can easily avoid toll that way.

I was told that my Hide-A-Plate video didn't work....so here is another link that works.

Interesting, does the license say 'JB007' ?

The whole thing took me about 38 minutes to install I'm using a keychain remote to make it appear and disappear.

Be careful, the right button is the 'Passenger Ejector Seat'...

JB Lagonda Panel Switches  .png

I must be a redneck because I don't think a front plate detracts from the beautiful looks of the Model 3 at all. I mean, if you live in a state that has a front plate requirement, all the cars around you will have front plates too. And the OEM mount does a good job of fitting in with the lines of the car. I'm pretty sure this is the location Franz reserved for the plate:

Mod3Refinery1Resize (2).jpg

So leave it off and risk a ticket. Or put it where it makes the most sense. But please don't block the airflow to the only heat exchangers for battery and cabin cooling! That will just make the pumps and fans work harder!

I must be a redneck because I don't think a front plate detracts from the beautiful looks of the Model 3 at all. I mean, if you live in a state that has a front plate requirement, all the cars around you will have front plates too. And the OEM mount does a good job of fitting in with the lines of the car. I'm pretty sure this is the location Franz reserved for the plate:

View attachment 361906

So leave it off and risk a ticket. Or put it where it makes the most sense. But please don't block the airflow to the only heat exchangers for battery and cabin cooling! That will just make the pumps and fans work harder!

You have a white car with a white plate. Maybe it doesn't distract as much as some others.

Question: If you didn't have to put a plate on the front...would you?

Question: If you didn't have to put a plate on the front...would you?

No, I put it on because I want to reduce the chance that I get pulled over. Do you play the lottery? Because every encounter with a law enforcement officer is one more chance for an accident to happen. I had a State Patrol pull his loaded weapon on me because their computers had erroneously listed my motorcycle as stolen. Do you think the safety was engaged? Of course not.

That said, I do think the nose of the Model 3 begs for something up there. I might find a decal I liked if not for the plate.