Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible experience as first time tesla buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model x 100d on the day 8.1 was released. All the driver assistance functions stopped working after I updated to 8.1. I like OTA because tesla did something other manufacturers can't do or won't do. But one of the disadvantages about OTA is we are basically all beta testers. So I am not mad that my autopilot is not working after 8.1 or it is taking so long for them to fix the issue. What made me mad is they locked my car to 85mph top speed without telling me anything about it. Today I almost had an accident when I was trying to pass someone on the freeway. A Civic was driving 65 on the carpool and speed up to 75+ when I tried to pass him. I barely made it because my car stoped accelerating after 85. (most of people in socal are driving 80mph on freeway). I called service and they told me all the loaners and inventory cars are speed locked to 85mph and they forgot to unlocked the speed limit after the car was delivered to me. Also I found a lot of people are saying tesla did not disclosure the speed limit when they got their loaner cars. I can't believe they are so irresponsible and careless.

I got a new inventory car S90D and it was software limited to 85. Called Roadside assistance and they fixed it remotely. It seems that new inventory cars might be limited in case they are used as loaners or test drivers.

Edit--we were tyoing at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I completely understand the OP's frustration as I too had this with a loaner and nearly ran out of space when some prat decided they didnt like being overtaken and speeded up.

@tesla, there is a simple answer to this:
When switching to Drive from Park - display a message on the IC showing the car is restricted for 85mph.

It's not difficult, and any unaware new owner would simply contact Tesla to query the message in the event the car has been incorrectly setup to get it fixed remotely .

Also I found a lot of people are saying tesla did not disclosure the speed limit when they got their loaner cars. I can't believe they are so irresponsible and careless.

Same here. I found out about the speed limitation of my loaner while attempting the same maneuver on the highway.

I am new to driving a Tesla. I have driven loaners more than my own car. My 60 is about to go back to the body shop for a 3rd round in as many weeks since my March delivery, sigh. Hopefully they don't screw something else up while attempting to correct the fit & finish issues, again.

I have been driving two older-Model Ss as loaners since taking delivery. They are different vehicles than my MS 60, so even a 30-second, "it can do this or watch out for that" would have been nice. Maybe I'm expecting too much? But knowing about the speed limitation prior to driving away from the service center in an unfamiliar loaner seems like it's something that should absolutely be disclosed. The only other place I am aware of such a restriction is at the go-kart track. I have definitely never experienced the same limitation with any other loaner or rental vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18
It seems Tesla made an oversight that they should have noticed, glad it's easily resolved. Not quite sure that would warrant a "terrible experience", but I guess that's subjective.

I came to this thread expecting multiple glaring mistakes.

Well said. Unlike OP's terrible experience specific to the speed limitation, I was just a bit disappointed that I couldn't get my loaners up to 150 MPH o_O.​

All kidding aside, it wasn't a terrible experience, but I was a bit disappointed that Tesla sent me away in one of their vehicles without taking time to educate me on it. The speed limitation could be a safety issue as OP pointed out.​

Okay... they forgot to unlock that software restriction and they removed it after you called them. What's the big deal?

It's not a big deal for most of us. However for others who have not read the many threads on Tesla's shortcomings, high expectations of perfection from such a great company are shattered when something seemingly so minor occurs. This translates to a terrible experience.​

I am not sure I would put myself in a situation that I will end up in an accident if I don't speed above 85.

Your insurance company would be thankful to hear this. Unfortunately there are countless scenarios that require drivers to exceed 85 MPH. Get on I-95 anywhere in the S. Florida area and you'll understand when you're in the middle of vehicles traveling between 50 and 100+. You can stay behind the guy doing 50 in a 55 and be safe, up until the guy doing 100 comes up from your rear.​

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeZ
It was not on Valet mode.. They locked my top speed to 85MPH and I called them to unlocked it. They set 85 speed limit for every inventory cars and loaners. This time they forgot to unlock it after the delivery.
yes that was a bad mistake releasing the car to you in that condition. fortunately there were no bad consequences. that said I think that you are overstating the whole bad situation. enjoy your car

I got my model x 100d on the day 8.1 was released. All the driver assistance functions stopped working after I updated to 8.1. I like OTA because tesla did something other manufacturers can't do or won't do. But one of the disadvantages about OTA is we are basically all beta testers. So I am not mad that my autopilot is not working after 8.1 or it is taking so long for them to fix the issue. What made me mad is they locked my car to 85mph top speed without telling me anything about it. Today I almost had an accident when I was trying to pass someone on the freeway. A Civic was driving 65 on the carpool and speed up to 75+ when I tried to pass him. I barely made it because my car stoped accelerating after 85. (most of people in socal are driving 80mph on freeway). I called service and they told me all the loaners and inventory cars are speed locked to 85mph and they forgot to unlocked the speed limit after the car was delivered to me. Also I found a lot of people are saying tesla did not disclosure the speed limit when they got their loaner cars. I can't believe they are so irresponsible and careless.

it's not that big a deal. they made a mistake.

this qualifies as a "terrible experience"? yikes. wouldn't want to see your reaction if something had actually gone wrong.

They made a mistake and acknowledged it. If that incident caused that much irritation to the point of public disgust, I would question your level of tolerance. This is why it is hard to take complaints seriously on this site.

It is not a mistake as I mentioned they will not disclose the speed limit to customers. It is a terrible experience because I paid 130k for a vehicle that does not have a basic cruise control, I visited SC twice in 2 weeks of ownership and they have no clue how to fix it. But most importantly they don't care about their customer's safety by not telling the speed limit to loaner car users or unlocking my car before the delivery.

They made a mistake and acknowledged it. If that incident caused that much irritation to the point of public disgust, I would question your level of tolerance. This is why it is hard to take complaints seriously on this site.
I almost had an accident because they locked my top speed to 85mph without telling me anything before. What is your tolerance when someone put your life in danger.

I almost had an accident because they locked my top speed to 85mph without telling me anything before. What is your tolerance when someone put your life in danger.
Yes they made a mistake in not releasing the speed cap, but something may be wrong in JoeZ land if the inability to go over 85 mph puts your life in danger. Anyway it's fixed so it won't happen again. Focus on your reasons for buying an EV and you'll probably forget about it soon.

Okay... they forgot to unlock that software restriction and they removed it after you called them. What's the big deal?

I am not sure I would put myself in a situation that I will end up in an accident if I don't speed above 85.

I don't agree. The unexpected locking is particularly bad in a fast car. It would a second or two to realize that there was a problem. This would happen while looking at head-on traffic. To do this without some kind of warning or caution message is pretty bad.

Reactions: JoeZ
Yes they made a mistake in not releasing the speed cap, but something may be wrong in JoeZ land if the inability to go over 85 mph puts your life in danger. Anyway it's fixed so it won't happen again. Focus on your reasons for buying an EV and you'll probably forget about it soon.
"A Civic was driving 65 on the carpool and speed up to 75+ when I tried to pass him. I barely made it because my car stoped accelerating after 85. (most of people in socal are driving 80mph on freeway)" understand the situation here. I don't usually drive fast that's why I just found out the top speed was 85 yesterday and I already have the car for 2 weeks. Anyone with little driving experience will know set a limit at 85 without letting you know is more dangerous than driving at 85 to overtake someone (especially for tesla because it accelerates so fast so you would expect to overtake quickly but not when your top speed is limited to 85) if I purely focus on EV I should go for a bolt instead.